C25k and strength training- help

Options
For the past month I've been doing cardio 2x/week and strength training 3x/week. I just started doing c25k and love it so far. I would like to do that 3x/week and strength training in between. Are there any good 2x/week dumbbell only programs? I've been searching for one but I'm not sure what is best for my goals. I'm 5'3 140 pounds with a high body fat %. I'm eating MFP's recommendation of 1430 calories a day for .5 loss a week. My main goals are becoming a better runner and losing body fat.

Anyone who is doing c25k- what did you do on off days?

Thanks!

Replies

• niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When I did C25K I did a lot of cycling and walking in the days I wasn't running along with the occasional yoga session.
  • lilheidi76
    lilheidi76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to start the C25K. I've just been building up my fitness some and dealing with a few niggling health issues before I started. I have done it before and loved it. Last time I walked, took a class especially boxing or went to the gym on my off days. I lost a lot of weight during that time. I'm really looking forward to starting again as I got so much out of it last time.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    For the past month I've been doing cardio 2x/week and strength training 3x/week. I just started doing c25k and love it so far. I would like to do that 3x/week and strength training in between. Are there any good 2x/week dumbbell only programs? I've been searching for one but I'm not sure what is best for my goals. I'm 5'3 140 pounds with a high body fat %. I'm eating MFP's recommendation of 1430 calories a day for .5 loss a week. My main goals are becoming a better runner and losing body fat.

Anyone who is doing c25k- what did you do on off days?

Thanks!

Fitness Blender.com has several dumbbell routines from which to choose. Upper body, lower body, total body and strength training with a cardio component. I bought their Cross Training Program, ($15) which mixes the exercises up pretty well and fits into my alternating running days with Cross Training days. Worth a look.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K + an hour-long boot camp class on between days. Cardio mixed with strength training - mostly body weight with some added dumbbells, sometimes tabata. Two days a week with nothing. I think the ab and leg portions of boot camp are seriously helping my running. I had lots of knee and hip pain + shin splints when I attempted running last year. None at all this time, and I could stick with it!
    I occasionally have a little trouble running the days after boot camp if we go hard on the leg portion, but I haven't needed to repeat anything yet. Only 1 week left!