Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Zombie bump by someone.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Go out and have a meal is my is my advice. Live your life it's how you are going to eat for the rest of your life.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Zombie bump by someone.

That would be me. I even acknowledged it. Zombie bumping useful posts for newer members. It's kind of my thing.
  • summergserrano
    summergserrano Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to worry about everything I ate to the point of freaking out. I guess enjoying yourself with family and loved ones is your first priority. Something I need to remember while going to Japan this week. :#
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Feels like this could use a bump.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I have learned by experience exactly what you said, do the best you can or just skip it completely and get back to business next meal. I've managed to lose 37 in four months and I've been on vacation, had company in for a week, and quite a few special occasions during that four months. I try to keep my steps goal going regardless of what else is going on in my life, even if it means walking it off inside my home at 11pm! And when I need wiggle room for a special occasion add a few extra steps and save a few calories works wonders. The benefit besides continued weight loss is that you don't end up feeling like you can NEVER have anything to eat that is calorie laden, or taste sinfully good, etc. It helps to fight boredom is I guess what I'm saying!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I go out to a handful of restaurants near the office and home. I have my go-to menu items for each set up in My Foods to help make data entry super quick.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I really have to second the pre planning where possible - I have often checked the calorie counts on something I think I would like to have, only to discover that its just not worth it to spend the 5 million calories on THAT selection! Then I end up doing a review of all the calorie counted items and picking one that I can "afford", both calorie wise and psychologically. Its been really effective for me.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I have one last bump gif to use today. Might as well boost this post.

ygoEx.gif
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Bumpity.
  • twinkle2356
    twinkle2356 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    went to ruby Tuesdays last night. looked up menu before going. they had a grilled salmon with m.p. and one other side. they did substitute for me from m.p. to baked potato and green beans.. their salmon was delicious I must say. the meal was around 450 cal total which put me over on protein but everything else stayed below.( I hadn't held back on other meals.) It does help to check menu first and it takes me awhile since I put the food in and actually add it, then look at macros under the reports tab. if way to high, I delete and start over with the menu. Also went to gym before going to Rubys which added more calories for me, but I never eat back all the calories. more to lose weight on. lol. which I did. one pound down this am. This seems to work for me. we eat out at least once a week. My problem is watching the transfats in stuff, as being prediabetic, I do get upset easily and worry. So I watch really close. ( I think it was the polish sausage and onions at the fair the other night). LOL
  • fifthnail
    fifthnail Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This answered my questions about the mom and pop. 2 years later and this post is still very relevant. Nice job!!!
  • JLASilver
    JLASilver Posts: 22 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    From a restaurant perspective (non-chain, no nutrition info posted) -
    *At many mid-upper level restaurants each protein is butchered and weighed fairly meticulously to keep food cost in line. If it isn't busy (Ex. Friday or Saurday 6pm-9pm) it isn't out of line to ask for the weight of the protein you want to order and the purveyor. If it's busy it's harder to get a response from the chef.
    * I am in management but I instruct my staffs to ask about dietary restrictions and allergies. This puts guests at ease who want/need to ask questions about the menu. I think it's important to let people ask questions.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is old news to most,but still works for me.Most ppl trying to lose wt keep a few low cal items around.Mine includes hard boiled eggs,thin cut lunch meats & low cal shakes.Having an egg along with 2-3 slices of lunch meat rolled around raw veggies an hr or so before eating out,takes the edge off my appetite.The high protein,low cal shake works too.Find what helps you.
    Great thread,what are your tips?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Sorry....forgot my best curber before going out to eat & that is a banana.Easy to find,inexpensive &
    does the job.
  • robinhager3998
    robinhager3998 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I always felt guilty if I ate out and didn't know how to count my food. I think I'll do better to relax and enjoy instead of feeling guilty!
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    In Madison we go to mostly smaller, high quality restaurants that have excellent food, but no nutritional data. I try to order dishes where I can list the component parts and get fairly accurate calories, and at the same time opt out of empty or too high calorie sides and sauces. Works pretty well and I get to enjoy gourmet dishes but stay within reason on my caloric budget.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Feels like this could use a bump today
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This is such smart, thoughtful post. I know it's old, but it is so true!
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My absolute best trick, and one I use eating at home too, is to get a cup of soup before the meal. This really ups the satisfaction/fullness level and most places have at least one healthy soup on the menu.