Food Ideas Needed. Low Fat & Low Sugar

Options
Hey all. Thanks in advance.

I just came to the discovery that I will be getting my gallbladder out. So to avoid another 'attack' before that, I must eat a strict low fat / & low sugar diet. All bland, no seasonings / spices is what the doc has said.

So I need some ideas on good meals or snacks or even just different foods!

Looking for foods that have 3g or less of fat per 100g , and 10g sugar or less per 100g.

Which seems to not include 90% of my groceries currently .

So thanks for any tips :) (ps. My diary is not accurate. Its used in a pinch to check info on items so dont look there lol)

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast
    Low fat cottage cheese
    Veggies with low fat dip/dressing
  • FindingMyself92
    FindingMyself92 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    :) thanks
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    The trouble with this is that when they remove the fat, they add sugar to make it taste better, so pre-packaged foods are rarely low fat and low sugar. Cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage) are a good option and delicious raw or roasted. Beans and eggs (or egg whites, if you want even less fat) are a good source of protein without much fat or sugar. Shrimp and chicken, too. Plain oatmeal (not the flavored stuff) or steel cut oats are also low in fat and sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found these tips:

http://patient.info/health/gallstones-diet-sheet

You are going to learn to cook for yourself more. I saw a tip on this page to bulk out soups and stews with pulses (beans, lentils, etc.) Proteins are still in your diet as well as all the veggies. Just trim the extra fat off your meat.
  • FindingMyself92
    Options
    Ya i know my prepackaged days are done.

I just dont have much of a say in it - it comes with intolerable pain if I eat it lol.

Im going to look at more oat options.. as the oats I have are loaded with bad stuff and I thought they were just plain oats!

Crazy how much I now notice the amount of crap going into my body
  • FindingMyself92
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I found these tips:

http://patient.info/health/gallstones-diet-sheet

You are going to learn to cook for yourself more. I saw a tip on this page to bulk out soups and stews with pulses (beans, lentils, etc.) Proteins are still in your diet as well as all the veggies. Just trim the extra fat off your meat.

Thanks! :) i cant big batch make anything, i have absolutely no freezer space (I have a roomate so its not just my food) . I dont eat meat to begin with very much, so it will be quite a veggie diet for me lol
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Late post but I'm having my gallbladder out next week. Right now I can only have 3-5 grams of fat per meal or it spasms into an attack. I've been trying to stay under 5 for day. Veggies, fruit (not oranges), plain Campbell's tomato soup, lenders blueberry bagels (1.5 gram in whole bagel), with fat free cream cheese, baby carrots to snack on and pretzels are my go-to's. Oh and fat free pudding cups for dessert!
    Sauerkraut has none and you could put fat free hotdog in there--if you drain and rinse sauerkraut before you hear it, it takes away most of sourness!
    Hope that helps
    Good luck!
    I plan to stay kinda low fat even after to not put more stress on my liver.
  • mandahq
    mandahq Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I need to have my galbladder out. Doesn't matter what I eat I'm in constant pain. So lost on whay to eat. Finding it hard to break old habits
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Lentils. You can buy a bag of dried lentils for about $1.00 at the grocery store. No fat and one cup has the protein of 3 eggs.

Boil and simmer until mushy (you do not need to soak overnight, but cook until mushy because people lack an enzyme to digest the shell). Drain.

Stir-fry some veggies in water if you don't want the fat from olive oil -- any veggies will do like onions, tomatoes, and carrots. Shake in some McCormick's spice like Mexican, Italian, or whatever you like. You have a lentil stew with no fat, it tastes good, you can reheat it or freeze it, and it is high in protein. Add some greens for a complete meal (salad or throw kale or collard greens in at the last minute).