Cardio or weight training?!

Options
Can someone help me understand this?!
I'm 21 years old, 5'2", and 154lbs.
My goal the past few months has been to lose baby weight and get down to 120lbs. But my FINAL goal is to get back to where I was (6 pack abs, tight muscles, etc)
My dr told me I shouldn't be doing a low calorie diet and cardio because I will lose muscle along with fat... So should I be weight training?! Will I still lose fat that way? Can someone help me :(

Thanks in advance

Replies

• RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Eat in a calorie deficit and do some lifting. If you'd like to do cardio, do it! Just make sure you eat some of those exercise calories back.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to lose the weight/fat.
    Higher intensity exercise (can be cardio or weights or some of both) to help maintain muscle.

Losing muscle is very rarely a good idea.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Hi, congratulations on your baby and deciding to stay healthy. Just a quick question....are you breastfeeding? If so, you want to be sure to account for the extra calories your body needs to produce enough food for your baby. There is an entry in the food database for breastfeeding, you can use that to help keep track in your food diary.

That being said, sticking with a smaller calorie deficit is usually the best way to go when you have less than 50 lbs to lose. Try setting your goal to 0.5-1lb/wk and be sure to weigh, measure and log all of your food. You will lose fat at a calorie deficit whether or not you exercise. You will be less likely to lose muscle with a smaller deficit. Excercise is not required to lose weight but strength training can help you to maintain more muscle and burn fat. Cardio is great for fat burn but may result in a greater loss of muscle. Either way, MFP is set up so that you should eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. The percentage is more fluid depending on the person. Many people start with 50-75% and see how they are feeling after a few weeks.

I hope this helps!
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Fat loss = caloric deficit.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I weight train 3-4 times a week, and do intense cardio (running) 3 times a week and have been losing consistently with a slight calorie deficit while maintaining muscle and strength. I don't waste time doing light cardio, however I do make it a point to try to get my 10,000 steps a day.

ETA: Also, make sure you're taking in enough protein! I like Unjury (recommended by my nutritionist) to supplement on days I strength train.
  • chevysmommy41
    chevysmommy41 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    Hi, congratulations on your baby and deciding to stay healthy. Just a quick question....are you breastfeeding? If so, you want to be sure to account for the extra calories your body needs to produce enough food for your baby. There is an entry in the food database for breastfeeding, you can use that to help keep track in your food diary.

That being said, sticking with a smaller calorie deficit is usually the best way to go when you have less than 50 lbs to lose. Try setting your goal to 0.5-1lb/wk and be sure to weigh, measure and log all of your food. You will lose fat at a calorie deficit whether or not you exercise. You will be less likely to lose muscle with a smaller deficit. Excercise is not required to lose weight but strength training can help you to maintain more muscle and burn fat. Cardio is great for fat burn but may result in a greater loss of muscle. Either way, MFP is set up so that you should eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. The percentage is more fluid depending on the person. Many people start with 50-75% and see how they are feeling after a few weeks.

I hope this helps!

Yes I am! That's what is making this process so hard for me to understand lol I have to eat about 500 extra cal a day to keep up with my milk supply
  • chevysmommy41
    chevysmommy41 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's not the exercise or type of exercise that is going to burn fat...you burn fat as fuel when you consume less energy (calories) than your body requires to maintain the status quot. As a matter of general fitness I recommend both cardiovascular training and resistance training...they're both pretty important IMO. Without the resistance training you are likely to burn a higher % of lean mass than you otherwise would.

Thank you for putting this is terms I can wrap my head around ! I was so worked that by having a schedule that incorporates both weight lifting and cardio that I was just back tracking after my dr said that! This makes more sense!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Combine them. Supersets. Multiple lifts without rest between sets. :dizzy:
    And it makes the weight room visit go faster. I am not one who can sit ans rest between sets of the same lift.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Weight training will help you to not lose muscle while in a caloric deficit. You can look up a good, simple program, like Strong Lifts 5 x 5, and follow something like that. You don't have to go all "beast mode" or anything. Start low and work your way up. I highly recommend strength training, and increased protein consumption, for women in general. It helps a great deal with self image, and hey, who doesn't like to feel stronger?

I've lost 80 lbs with a combination of calorie deficit and lifting.

I honestly hate to see anyone just doing cardio. You end up all flabby... or as they say, "skinny fat".