Bicep curls - difference between variations?

Options
jemhh
jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
What, if any, difference is there between the different variations of bicep curls? That is, do different variations truly help build biceps in different ways or does it just come down to personal preference?

I have done very little bicep isolation work so far and just decided to start adding it in regularly (twice a week.) My plan right now is to do 3 sets of 10-15 at the end of the workout with dumbbell concentration curls on one day and e-z bar curls the other day. Anything wrong with sticking with these two types or does it make more sense to rotate variations every few weeks?

Replies

• cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Doing different variations builds the muscle in different ways. I do multiple angles for full bicep workouts.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Yes, I believe doing variations builds the muscles in different ways. I do several variations, but I do them all on the same day, using both dumbbells and the barbell.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yes, Different Variations Hit Different Parts Of Your Bicep.. Theres A Long Head And A Short Head, And Certain Variation Will FAvor One Or The Other..
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Anything wrong with sticking with these two types or does it make more sense to rotate variations every few weeks?

2 types of curls are plenty, and for the vast majority of non-fitness models or professional bodybuilders, that's 2 too many. You'll get more (muscle, weight loss ... whatever your goal is) out of doing compound exercises.

For biceps: pull-ups/chin-ups, bent-over rows, lat pull-down.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Anything wrong with sticking with these two types or does it make more sense to rotate variations every few weeks?

2 types of curls are plenty, and for the vast majority of non-fitness models or professional bodybuilders, that's 2 too many. You'll get more (muscle, weight loss ... whatever your goal is) out of doing compound exercises.

Yep. I've know several guys in D1 sports programs and the only way they can do curls in the team weight room is after they've done their required work which doesn't include curls.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP, Do different variations, and do not forget the hammer curls LOL
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Definitely. I don't think they are necessary but may be a good compliment. I've never done any sort of bicep curl at all. I definitely do bent-over rows and lat pull-downs and they seem to work just fine.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I don't think we have to worry about this particular OP neglecting compound moves in favor of BroCurls.
  • jemhh
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I don't think we have to worry about this particular OP neglecting compound moves in favor of BroCurls.

Lol. Thank you :)

Yes, I do plenty of compounds. I'm trying to do block programming for isolation exercises after those. I started with a focus more on shoulder isolation exercises about 6 weeks ago and now I'd like to switch to arms for a period. I'll just switch focus back and forth periodically. No need to worry about me skipping my compounds. Not as impressive as many of the ladies here (I hold fat in my torso rather than my legs/hips/butt like many women) but I do plenty of compound exercises.

vz3x4ev280uc.png
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Well, at most I do maybe a total of 4 sets of any bicep isolation since I've already hit them with compounds.

I'll do 2 sets of hammer curls and then pick a variation of standard curls.

I will say when I do DB curls on an incline bench where I'm leaned back a bit, arms at my side, then curl up, it stretches them quite a bit and the contraction is quite intense at the top.

Maybe it's just me but.....my biceps were built up doing the heavy compounds but had little definition (?) less peak until I added some isolation lifts in. But, as mentioned, it didn't take much isolation to get a little better peak.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Isolation work always getting a bad rap...
  • piperdown44
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Which I've never understood.
    I increased my lifts by using isolation work to bring up weak areas. Skullcrushers and CGBP helped my triceps get stronger and got me past a sticking point on bench.
    Same with legs and needing to bring the hamstrings up. Hammy curls and RDL's helped.

• jemhh
    Options

Especially curls, it seems. I've never seen anybody pooh-pooh lateral raises, flyes, skullcrushers...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Which I've never understood.
    I increased my lifts by using isolation work to bring up weak areas. Skullcrushers and CGBP helped my triceps get stronger and got me past a sticking point on bench.
    Same with legs and needing to bring the hamstrings up. Hammy curls and RDL's helped.

No idea. I start out with a compound for every body part but then it's on to lots of isolation. I've done alright.

That being said, I only do arms about once a month on their own.
  • piperdown44
    Options

Especially curls, it seems. I've never seen anybody pooh-pooh lateral raises, flyes, skullcrushers...

Exactly.
    I don't care how good a "mind to muscle" connection you have, you're still using some biceps to work back lifts. If your biceps are a limiting factor why not spend some time increasing their strength with some iso stuff....

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Definitely. I don't think they are necessary but may be a good compliment. I've never done any sort of bicep curl at all. I definitely do bent-over rows and lat pull-downs and they seem to work just fine.

Ya, that's what I do to cover biceps as well. I realize different people have different needs and goals. I used to do tricep pull downs to help with yoga "pushups" which made my triceps sore then realized actual pushups helped more with this. I'll sometimes still do the tricep pulldowns if I have extra time, but realize I get more bang for my buck from pushups.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Grip, etc. will determine what head is targeted. Long or short.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

Yeah compound exercises will work for a beginner, but what happens when they grow accustomed to those exercises? I do presses 3x a week with rows and pull-ups 2x a week. I can promise you if I didn't incorporate curls and tricep isolation into my workouts then Id see almost no growth. What about my brachialis? Which is targeted through reverse curls. Going by your logic; I shouldn't ever have to do calve exercises because they receive more than enough stimulation through my squats and deadlifts. Yet they didn't grow for 6 months until I incorporated calve work.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I would not be where I'm without isolation exercises. I could do barbell curls all day, but it's not enough.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options

Agreed. Personally, I am all for some iso moves, but I would tend to also work iso on the opposing muscles equally to a maintain balance. So bis and tris.