2016 Adopt a Noob Official MFP Thread

Options

Replies

• Jmkw86
    Jmkw86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Anyone like to adopt me?? Haha - I'm just starting out, have been logging for a week and lost 4lbs so far.

I am trying to get back to the me of 3 years ago - I have been steadily gaining weight since I moved to London and took a permanent 9-5 desk based job for the first time in my life. I've also struggled with consistently building exercise into the stressful schedule I have now, having in my previous life worked evenings and done gym classes during the day.

I've recently been confirmed as having PCOS, something I have known myself for a number of years. I was able to outrun most of the symptoms by losing weight and getting super fit and healthy last time (I lost quite a bit 5/6 years ago) but it's back with a vengeance and I'm finding it harder this time to stick to the healthy lifestyle I know I need.

I know what works for me is to cut out processed foods, grains and dairy and avoid sugar -somewhat Paleo I guess although not to the letter as I am still eating pulses, and plan to have alcohol now and then.

Would appreciate any tips for the app or support/motivation from pros out there, especially in relation to macros as this is something I'm only just getting my head around!
  • TornadoTracii
    TornadoTracii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am looking to be adopted!! Please let me know what I need to do :) Thanks
  • Stynkrbella
    Stynkrbella Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new and looking to be adopted. I am a 43 and deal with anxiety and back and knee pain.i am working with a physical therapist on my back and knee. I need and want to lose 75 pounds and need someone who can help me with nutrition and exercise on a very tight budget. My biggest problem is that there are many foods I do not eat and habits I need to break or fix. If you are willing to take me on......message me.
  • paul_smith83
    paul_smith83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a mentor, someone i know that will keep pushing me. I'm based in the UK, but with modern internetting techniques, i guess that shouldn't be a problem. Current weight is 107kg, goal is 85kg with good BMI. not going for huge muscle build, just to get a bit more toned
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Nova wrote: »
    Welcome to the 2016 Adopt-a-Noob Discussion!

New members

Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or send a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success.

Keep in mind, that mentors are NOT obligated to accept new members if they do NOT feel it's a good fit... especially if you PM them with a creepy message or their plate is full. 2015 discussion here

[/list]

Reposting as reference given a number of new requests.
  • j1k2z3
    j1k2z3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm looking for some help. I've had some major life events happen (some good, some bad) and between parties and memorials over the past few years, I've managed to now be about 60 pound over the "healthy" range (I want to loose 75 if we're going to be really strict). Obviously my ultimate goal is to be happy and healthy; however I need help. Can someone please take me on? I need someone to check in with me to see how I'm doing, possibly give me weekly workout challenges (?), and be someone I can chat when I feel like I'm going to be bad (skipping the gym, eating bad foods, ect).

I am in a wedding at the end of October and I already purchased my dress it's about 1.5 sizes too small now and I need to fit into it, so I need some assistance.

I need a buddy! PLEASE PLEASE help me!
  • darylarden
    darylarden Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started today myself !
  • thelostdreamer
    thelostdreamer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm very very new to MFP, so I'm unsure if this post will work!

Height: 5 foot 5 inches
    Weight: 130kg

I work in an office so I'm sat down most of the time, however I don't drive meaning I do do about 30mins walking every day. I also practice martial arts for 90mins every week. I'm recovering from a slipped disc in the lumbar region.

I'm incredibly overweight and have been struggling to lose weight for the past couple of years. I found that at first I started off really well, felt really motivated, but then I lost all the support I had had from the start and eventually lost my motivation with it.

I'm trying again, this time all on my own, and finding it terrifying, hoping this won't be the start of a sisyphean battle. My biggest fear is that once again I will lose all motivation, and having no one to help push me back up again, I'll end up back where I started.

It also doesn't help that I love food. I mean.... Eating food that I love (whether it's chocolate, meat or fruit/salad, or a really beautifully cooked meal) is one of the things that make me really really happy.

I'd really like a mentor who... Who can understand my love of food and who has managed to lose weight despite being a foodie themselves. Someone who can help to motivate me when I'm feeling lost and like I can't do this anymore. I think those are the two most important things. If you can also offer advice on nutrition and exercise, that's a bonus but it's not essential - I can do research myself!

Hoping to hear from someone!
  • nigieldr
    nigieldr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    looking for a friend who knows how to use this app well ... my profile says everything I want to say for now and I am looking for every advantage to make the most out of the years I have left.
  • emilyb117
    emilyb117 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I would love to mentor someone new to this!
    I think a great part of staying on track is feeling accountable. It is easy to fall off the wagon, but as a mentor I would be there to pick you back up!

I am on a 115 day streak and have lost 25 pounds. I am by no means perfect, but after lots of trial and error, I think I have a pretty good handle on this.

As your mentor, I promise to be there when you need advice or motivation, but I would also hope that you stay active and accountable.

Feel free to send me a friend request or a message!

-Emily

• katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a female mentor. I'm 38 and need to lose about 50 pounds. I've been in decent shape most of my life until meeting my husband 6 years ago ;)
    Anyone available?

Thanks,
    Katrina
  • kits3n
    kits3n Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would really love a mentor. I've been struggling a lot with the urge to binge.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    kits3n wrote: »
    I would really love a mentor. I've been struggling a lot with the urge to binge.

Feel free to add me:) I was a former binge eater of 4 years, it sucks I understand. Here are some general start tips, to help you get your freedom back. Over time we can get you on the road to a healthy relationship with food.

First, admit there was a problem. For three going on four years, I blamed externals, my drive, and my dreams for my actions. Ignoring people in my life hinting at me that I may have a problem, including family, close friends, and girlfriend. I lied to myself, rationalizing it with the mask of a cheat meal. As the punishment for binging increased so did the amount of times I binged. At first once a week, then every couple days, every other, until it consumed my thoughts. At times I would drive to Walmart just to eat it all before coming home. Chances are if you are reading this it is because you are looking for help. Good for you, you are lightyears ahead of where I was!

Second, I learned to love myself for me, as a matter of fact I am still learning how to do this. Today, the emulated physique is seen as happiness. It is published on social media, magazines, and posters as the symbol of happiness. I believed it, I chased it and chased it. I had it for some time and I was still just as miserable. How you look will not make you happy! Now don’t twist those words as an excuse to just let ourselves become overweight. Chances are you will break step 1 which is lying and rationalizing it. We have to learn to accept our imperfections. We all have them and everyone tries to hide them. Here are my flaws (some I can fix, others are what they are):
    Relationships: I am aweful. I wrecked a 15 year friendship with a highschool sweetheart, I was selfish and an *kitten*. I can also be abrasive and brutal with little to no compassion. However ever since I shared this personal story, I have gotten better. Although I am by no means finished working on this.
    Skin Damage: I never wore sunscreen as a kid. Now I have moles, freckles, and scars. Some I wish weren’t there. Some girls won’t talk to me because of them. I am not “sexy” enough. They aren’t “interested”.

Don’t let your imperfections stop you from loving yourself. You are the only you this world will ever see, embrace yourself. Perhaps the worst thing about this cycle was I hated myself, I hated my life, I did not want to look in the mirror, I thought I was a failure that I would never make it, I contemplated suicide. When I would binge, I would punish myself. Don’t do that we are human, life is meant to be enjoyed. Life is much too short to never treat yourself to what you love to eat whatever that maybe for you. Look yourself in the mirror directly into your eyes saying “I LOVE myself” at least 10 times a day, if not more. P.S. try not to smile when you say this (harder than you think).

Thirdly, there is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong. Instead, adopt my grandmother’s wise old adage of “everything in moderation.” AKA IIFYM:)

Fourth, going along the lines of moderation. You can eat whatever you want just not all at once. I believe I heard Layne Norton say this, I believe this, like the 11th commandment, in fact it should be an amendment to the constitution. When I first began to escape cycle, I would eat one “treat” at every meal. Nothing crazy, but it will allow you still get your “fix” but you won’t binge on it. Any action in the right direction gave me more motivation and encouragement to keep improving. The small wins kept snowballing into large victories later that slammed the door on binging. Disclaimer, it is wiser to eat this food item from a plate not from the container. Don’t test your will to fight binging if you do not have too. As the old saying goes, “work smarter, not harder.”

Fifth, no more crazy spreadsheets and tracking of nutrients line item by line item like an accountant. I did not worry about counting calories and the works. I would instead eat (3) meals, breakfast, lunch and supper possibly a snack if I was hungry. I would eat slowly, and as I began to feel fuller I would stop eating. You may be like me and scared that you’ll get fat. Well what is our other choice? We can keep binge eating which is not working, because you wouldn’t be reading this. Or we can reach out and try something new. I need to be conscious of my eating, instead of speed eating (still struggle at times).

Sixth, 180, 190, 160, 225, 200…what number was it going to be today I thought I as I closed my eyes scared to look down at the scale after a night of binging (these were all weights I reached during this cycle). You do not need a scale to help you. It’s about small wins, small wins, they add up trust me; I have been there too. Most people overestimate the damage of a binge. You need to eat in excess of 3500 calories over your normal intake to gain a pound of fat. It is not as bad as we create in our minds. Additionally, when we stand on the scale after a binge our body is bloated, full of food, sodium, and other goodies. This only compounds the guilt feeling.

It is your lucky day! I said six, but here is a seventh tip. So, what about eating at restaurants and parties? Parties were my kryptonite, the amount of food that I saw and I thought I had to eat three people’s worth of everything. What helped me to win at parties was I made this a game in my head (who cares no one else knows..plus now you know I did it). I am very competitive; I hate losing even if it’s go fish with a girlfriend (I will be a terrible father I will never let my kids win). Since eating slower and not getting seconds was a struggle at first. The game I created was to be the last one done eating, and the last one to get seconds. This helped me in many ways, first to help me eat slower I talked with people, this helped to repair the relationships I had damaged in the past, plus I was not over eating (win/win). Which is why I was last to get seconds, so often I would eat so quick that my stomach didn’t even know it was fed until I was already 4-5 plates of heaping food deep.

Make that eight, workout for fun! For so long in this process I trained for results no I do not mean goals; I simply worked out to look good that’s it! It was the complete wrong direction, it made training no fun, I dreaded every gym session, and was having a miserable time. It doesn’t matter if you are into bodybuilding, figure, physique, cross fit, powerlifting, strongman, marathons, etc. just train for fun, train to get better and challenge yourself. For me this was powerlifting.
  • edixon127
    edixon127 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'd love to mentor someone who's new to MFP.

I've been logging daily for 6 months and I've lost 40 pounds. I don't do any special diets-- no low carb, fat free or anything like that. I focus on everything in moderation and moving more to improve my health. As your mentor I'll be here to give you advice and support and push you if you need it, but I expect you to be active and accountable.

If you're interested in having me as a mentor or just want to chat, please feel free to message me or add me as a friend!

-Elizabeth
  • christenamiller
    christenamiller Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a MFP noob! 29 year old female trying to lose the 20lbs that creeped up in the last decade. Hates exercise and also hates eating clean, so this should be an interesting journey! The photographer that took my profile picture photoshopped my waistline--I'm determined to be a size that doesn't need any photoshopping. Here goes!
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys! I'm a MFP noob and am desperately looking for a mentor. I'm willing to work to the best of my ability to lose my goal of 100lbs. I know this will take time and it will be tough however I have the motivation.

Message me if you would like to support me on my journey :)
  • Khuicochea
    Khuicochea Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I am an 18 year old college student here. I would really love to have a mentor to give me a clue of what I'm doing. I am trying to lose 20-30 pounds and bulk up. I have no idea when it comes to strength training and fitness. I could also really use motivation and advice. I am willing to put the time and dedication into this. Thank you! :smiley:
  • ne_coli
    ne_coli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well hi, I'm a a young little lady trying to get a bit more fit and loose some weight. I'm not new to fitness, did martial arts for 3 years, various other sports in my free time, and have participated in a few boot camps before realizing it just wasn't my thing. Haven't been as active as i was for about 2 years and my body is feeling it. I have recently been going to a gym but realized I have no idea what I'm doing, machines are so complicated sometimes and I don't know how much I should be pushing mysel (gym employees haven't been much help to me). So I don't need a BUNCH of help but it would be nice to have some personalized help with figuring out how to workout at the gym and a few tips on logging my food and exersice. I'd appreciate the help!
  • AutumnP1
    AutumnP1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm a overweight girl in my 20s I'm 22 and I have always been overweight my while life I tried losing weight before then I moved and I diddnt care nomore I just need help
  • romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am a 38 year old married mother of two who works full time. I was diagnosed with Diabetes/ High Cholesterol and High Blood pressure almost 2 years ago. I have lost 45 pounds and have my blood pressure under control. I currently take 2 medications for the Diabetes but am very close to being able to take away one. The Cholesterol is getting very close to being inline so that medication will go too. The problem is, I lost my way about a year ago and can't seem to get back at it. I have managed to not gain any weight but can't get myself under control enough to get the number moving again. In order to stop these medications, I really need to focus and get the rest of this weight off. I am doing this to become a healthy version of myself. I want to be around long term for my husband and our kids.
    If there is anyone who feels I would be a good fit to mentor, please send me a message. I would love to have some support and accountability :)
This discussion has been closed.