What's your normal weight fluctuations?

Options
2»

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Wow. People measure ounces?

I can vary 5 pounds in a day when I have tennis matches. Normal workouts knock me around 2 or so pounds. I only weigh once a week to check, and I only log my weight once a month now, which is all that really matters in my overall weight loss.
  • ejillvan
    ejillvan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    I'm usually between a half-pound and a pound fluctuation. Anything outside of that, I try and remember what may have triggered the increase (eg salt hidden someplace or didn't follow the 3-hour rule)

I am new to all of this... what is the 3 hour rule?
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    One to three pounds is totally normal for me. And I know this week the scale won't cooperate because I started a new exercise. I know I'll see a good loss in the next couple or three weeks.
  • PS1000tessa
    PS1000tessa Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    2-3 pounds depending mostly on the salt/water intake. 3 pounds was probably the most I have ever "lost" since the night.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    ejillvan wrote: »
    I'm usually between a half-pound and a pound fluctuation. Anything outside of that, I try and remember what may have triggered the increase (eg salt hidden someplace or didn't follow the 3-hour rule)

I was wondering that too!?
  • GeoBaybee
    GeoBaybee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! This makes me feel better!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have thyroid issues which I think affects mine but my weight can go up by as much as 10lbs in a day. Its extreme bloating and I've learned not to weigh when I feel swollen. I think "normal" will be different for everyone.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well, I fluctuate between 5-7 lbs in a week sometimes. It depends on booze from the weekend/excessive water/the day after a high carb day/Shark week. It really just depends. I hate it but it is life. Two weeks before my triathlon I was doing a slow carb load and gained 10lbs of water weight even though I was doing two-a-days. I was carb loading and drinking excessive amounts of water. That 10lbs I lost in 3 days after my race. I weigh myself every morning at the same time and before I drink/eat anything that way I don't have variance in my measurements. Of course you're going to gain weight throughout the day from food/water etc. No matter what time of day you weigh, just make sure it's the same time every time and use the same scale.
  • Suspended_User
    Suspended_User Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    4 pounds is a very normal swing for me. Keep in mind a gallon of water weighs 8 pounds. It's pretty easy to lose about half that in an hour workout for a larger person. You start combining a workout with a bowel movement and then rehydration and a heavy (weight wise) meal, you can generate some big swings. I used to be a little OCD about weighing myself only weekly at the same time (before a meal or fluids, after a workout and after a bowel movement). I have an electronic "connected" scale now and feel much more comfortable weighing myself at more random times and simply looking for the trend. However, it's probably more important that you just find a process that is comfortable for you. Whatever that process is, consider that a 3% swing of your body weight is fairly easy to accomplish for most people.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ejillvan wrote: »

Not eating 3 hours before bed maybe??