Weight loss stalled

Options
I know weight loss isn't linear and there can be fluctuations but I'm asking in any case. I lost weight at a steady pace for six weeks. For the last two weeks it has remained the same sometimes showing a gain and going back to 119 but never going any lower.

I'm 4 foot 11 and currently and under treated for an under active thyroid so I'm aware that is going to make it difficult for me as well.

My only exercise at the minute is walking for an hour a day. I am unable to get to a gym due to childcare issues.

My diet is high carb I was thinking of trying so low or non carb days to see if this helps.

Any advice will be gratefully received. I have opened my diary if that helps.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you're under treatment for thyroid issues, I think a doctor will be more helpful than we can be.

Question: it looks like you're weighing some solid food and not others. Is there a reason why?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    As a woman, I would not be concerned with a weight loss stall unless it lasted an entire menstrual cycle. By that I mean 28 days or 37 days or whatever your particular cycle tends to be. If you have no overall movement downward at the end of that period (see what I did there?), I'd adjust calories downward.

The above is especially true, IMO, for a woman of your stature. Your deficit is going to be small enough that water weight fluctuations will completely mask fat weight losses at times.
  • sonyadilworth
    sonyadilworth Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I admit I can be a bit sporadic with weighing my food. That could be tightened up.

I'm awaiting a hospital appointment for further blood tests to review my thyroid medication. It's been ten years since I was diagnosed so I'm not holding my breath for them to finally get my meds right to be honest.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As someone who is also 4'11 I will say give it more than 2 weeks to declare your weight loss stalled. It could be your thyroidissues or it could be that at your height and weight, it is going to take a bit longer to lose since your deficit is going to be small.
  • sonyadilworth
    Options
    You are right about the deficit. My maintenence calories are only 1400 which is already quite low. I'm sticking with it and hopefully will see some movement soon. It can be disheartening to not see some benefit of all this at the end of the week.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Since you're small, and water weight can easily mask scale loss, you should probably start keeping track of your measurements as well.

I always have water issues since my Dr has me on a higher sodium diet. I take my measurements every week or two and even when the scale is not moving, my measurements show a difference.
  • sonyadilworth
    Options
    Th st is a very good idea. I haven't actually measured myself at all. Do you just measure you waist?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Th st is a very good idea. I haven't actually measured myself at all. Do you just measure you waist?

I do:
    Chest
    Waist
    Hips
    *kitten*
    Thighs
    Biceps
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another vote for measurements - I dropped a full size over a six month period with my scale at a complete stand-still. The tape tells a truer tale of progress.