training for bicycle race

Options
2»

Replies

• js8181
    js8181 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    In a word: nope. I think I could do 15-16mph for a while but not 20. I do have a drop handled road bike. Schwinn from the 80s.
    glevinso wrote: »
    js8181 wrote: »
    Yup cat 5! That's so harsh about getting pulled lol. I'm worried about speed not ability. Like I'm sure I CAN do it. I want to do it well. Gotcha on the squats. Have been doing those and will continue. Thanks!

Even the cat 4/5 race is going to be sustaining well over 20mph for a course that short. Are you able to do that?

What sort of bike do you have? Races like this require a drop-handle road bike. Hybrids wouldn't be permitted.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In a word: nope. I think I could do 15-16mph for a while but not 20. I do have a drop handled road bike. Schwinn from the 80s.
    Yup cat 5! That's so harsh about getting pulled lol. I'm worried about speed not ability. Like I'm sure I CAN do it. I want to do it well. Gotcha on the squats. Have been doing those and will continue. Thanks!

Even the cat 4/5 race is going to be sustaining well over 20mph for a course that short. Are you able to do that?

What sort of bike do you have? Races like this require a drop-handle road bike. Hybrids wouldn't be permitted.

I'd say just go out and have fun...it's about doing something new and getting out of your comfort zone and giving yourself a baseline for improvement...it's not all about winning it. If you get pulled you get pulled...it will be an experience none the less.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'd say just go out and have fun...it's about doing something new and getting out of your comfort zone and giving yourself a baseline for improvement...it's not all about winning it. If you get pulled you get pulled...it will be an experience none the less.

Quote for truth.
  • js8181
    js8181 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Awesome then I still will that's all I wanted to do it for: a fun challenge. Will report back if I get pulled or not!!Thanks!

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »

Quote for truth.

Agreed!
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trade my first Crit Experience for gold nor silver, One of the best things I've done in my cycling life.

Also one of the most expensive. I have a feeling a Cannondale SuperSix Evo Ultrega is in my future.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    The amount of money I have spent on triathlon and cycling-related gear is absurd.
  • asternpirlot
    asternpirlot Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Good luck with the race! My advice, if it is a pack race with a lot of other people on the course at the same time rather than a time trial where it is only you against the clock, is to practice pack skills if you can. This is more important than just fitness training in my view, if you don't have experience in the pack. The types of drills to do include riding in a straight line while looking behind yourself over your shoulders (both left and right), protecting your front wheel by riding in the drops and keeping somewhat loose elbows in case someone bumps you, looking up the field as you ride rather than right at the wheel in front of you, and cornering efficiently while holding your line. Some of these you will need at least a buddy to practice with, but you can practice looking behind without veering all over the road, and cornering, by yourself. Is there a friendly club or group ride you could join a couple times on the weekends before the race? These types of pack safety skills are really, really important and can make the difference between finishing the race in one piece (even if last over the line) and not finishing at all with a heap of other riders and damaged bike and body parts in a pile on top of you.