Fasted cardio - your experience?

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm planning on giving fasted cardio a go.
In the past, my schedule had been so busy that I could only exercise at night within one hour of going to bed (not sure if that's a good thing!)

Anyway, I'm planning on making the sacrifice of getting up early on weekdays to get to the gym.

How has fasted cardio been working for you?
How does your morning nutrition workout after?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's really a preference thing and has made zero difference for me either way...your overall calorie intake for the day combined with the calories out is ultimately what matters.

I tend to do more fasted cardio during the summer as I'm a cyclist and I prefer not to ride in the heat of the day so I get up early and ride most days...I just eat my breakfast afterwards.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before a run, I hate having food jostling around in my stomach. Does it make a difference in calories burned? Nope, it's all about the calories in and calories out.
  • charestcr
    charestcr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love my morning cardio. I find that I actually am able to give more and go harder for longer since I am not tired from going all day. I do the low carb thing, so breakfast after my workout is usually two scrambled eggs with some shredded cheese and I find I am not usually hungry until lunch time.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    It's a personal thing although I've tried it but lacked energy for my morning workouts. It didn't help with weight loss either - that's always about eating at deficit regardless of timing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did fasted cardio or strength training when I was doing 5:2 eating plan - on the 600 calorie days.
    Took a while for me to get used to but eventually moderate intensity cardio felt just the same as fed training.

Seemed to improve my long distance endurance and reduce need to feed on longer cycle rides so would speculate it made me better adapted to fat burning or alternatively more tolerant to exercise when my glycogen levels were lower.

For weight loss and body composition don't believe it made any difference at all.

You might find this (and the following part) interesting...
    http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-part-2-false-hopes-for-fasted-cardio.html
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I have time issues also, so I do fasted weights and cardio most mornings. I've been doing this for years, so I can't say if or how its affected my weight. I get up around 4am, work out til 5:30, head to work at 6 after a quick whey shake - one 28 gram scoop of whey protein to 8 oz water- then breakfast of the day at work around 8 am.

Didn't notice a difference in strength and energy levels, but mentally it was nice to get the hardest workout over with for the day. Sometimes I do an extra 30 min cardio after work or at lunch to destress.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I always run fasted in the mornings, this morning I ran after fasting 14hrs, I ran 5k (3.1mi non-race) in just under 30min w/out even trying for a decent time. I even waited another 1 1/2 hrs after I was done before breakfast which was only a liquid BCAA drink.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    All of this sounds absolutely hott. I wish I was able to do these things - the way I did in my youth.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I wish I was able to do these things - the way I did in my youth.

I only hope I can still do the things I can do now when I'm 66. I turn 45 at midnight tonight and I'm glad I can say I'm still like a machine!

• LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I get too weak and light headed. I can't.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed it. Started my day on a positive note, felt clear and focused, and contributed to healthy food choices throughout the day.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I wish I was able to do these things - the way I did in my youth.

I only hope I can still do the things I can do now when I'm 66. I turn 45 at midnight tonight and I'm glad I can say I'm still like a machine!

Happy Birthday!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have done it both ways, not necessarily on purpose. Sometimes there's no difference; other times it seems I lack energy. Either way, there's not enough consistent difference for me to conclusively say that I feel worse or better.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I feel much better working out when I haven't had any food, yet... I feel a little sluggish if I try to workout when I have eaten... even if I wait for a couple of hours.

I couldn't workout today, and I have a) felt a little "off" all day and b) wanted to eat everything I laid my eyes on...

Not sure if it has to do with FASTING cardio - but since that is usually how I do it, it might. :]
  • Nellegurl
    Nellegurl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend trying fasted cardio. I've been doing it for the last week or so and I definitely like it. I do fasted cardio first thing in the morning and I've also been using albolene and a wrap to sweat out more water. I'm trying to lose 10-15 pounds with in the next three weeks so wish me luck!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Nellegurl wrote: »
    I would definitely recommend trying fasted cardio. I've been doing it for the last week or so and I definitely like it. I do fasted cardio first thing in the morning and I've also been using albolene and a wrap to sweat out more water. I'm trying to lose 10-15 pounds with in the next three weeks so wish me luck!

Albolene? And a wrap? Sweating out water? 10 to 15 pounds of water weight? Wouldn't rather lose fat? Sorry about all the questions
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    If I do more than a short intense-cardio workout, I run out of steam, can't put as much into it, so don't get as much out of it.

15-20 minutes hard on a rowing machine before breakfast works, when I'm doing meters-accumulation challenges & need to get extra time in, but a spin class or an hour or so row on the water does not go well fasted. Much better if I eat lightly (a little protein & carbs) first. Weight workouts seem a bit better with some food in my system, too, but I feel less strongly about that.

But I'm already old (60), and stamina seems to be one of the first things to evaporate as I'm aging.

YMMV - I think this may be pretty individual, from talking with other folks.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you read into the science of fasted cardio (Lyle McDonald is a good place to start), there are reported benefits of doing cardio in a fasted state and remaining fasted after for a few hours. Personally I find it to be effective and dislike cardio on a full stomach anyway.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am doing IF. I work out in the afternoon and eat my first meal of the day an hour or two later when I get home.
  • harrietberholtz
    harrietberholtz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio is truly amazing at helping you to target stubborn fat that is slower to respond and since I started walking at 3 miles an hour on an incline of 3 or 4 for about thirty minutes to an hour five times a week I have seen my body tighten up in the best way possible!

The idea of doing fasted cardio first thing is the morning is in the hope that your body will use its fat stores for energy so you are burning fat rather than glucose when you start moving.

http://youngfitnfabulous.com/2016/04/04/fasted-cardio-fat-loss/