Anxiety/depression/weight

Options
Hi all!,

I could use some support from MFP community as I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed. A couple years ago I left an abusive relationship and whereas I am very proud of that, the after affects were really awful. I had my first panic attack and then kept getting them many times throughout the day to the point I became agoraphobic. Thankfully I have been able to manage a lot of it and I'm doing pretty well, but a big way the I coped with my anxiety was by eating. I've gained 80lbs in the past two years and am at a whopping 280lbs and I'm only 5'2' :expressionless:

I feel like I'm at a point emotionally where I can eat well and exercise but I'm just SO overwhelmed by how much weight I need to lose and by how fat I am now and quite frankly it bums me out a lot. I feel uncomfortable being so fat and I could definitely use some support!

Has anyone else here been in a similar boat? Also if anyone here lives in the Boston area and would want to workout together or go to food addiction meetings with me, that'd be cool, too!

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Baby steps, hon. You can do it. Focus on one small goal at a time. And the endorphin effects of exercise are great for depression. I also suffer from depression and anxiety, and have no support system, but the journey to my ideal self makes me stronger. Here for you! *Hugs*
  • dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Felt very similar to you but this hit the mark as far as a motivational factor (see the video at the bottom of the screen when the guy asks about his dramatic loss). I'm sorry I don't live near you to work out. The one thing I would suggest is focus on diet way more than exercise. I found exercise to be for health only although it does make it easier to lose weight but weight loss only occurs with the under consumption of calories of your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). Once I accepted the fact that one serving (2) pop tarts was more than an hour of intense cardio and there weren't enough hours in the day to work it off (It is often said you can't outrun a bad diet). My progress improved dramatically. Anyway here is a link to the video and the persons question. http://www.self.com/flash/celebrity-blog/2014/08/chris-pratt-gives-inspiring-weight-loss-advice-ever/
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to lose 80 lb. Not today, at least. Not this year, even. Just log in to mfp, plan your meals with the food diary, be sure to include a couple of treats, then eat your plan. If you do it right, you get enough calories and nutrition to feel good and be healthy. You'll lose weight, but that's not why you're doing this. You're doing this to be healthy.
  • AngeloInTexas
    AngeloInTexas Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We are all product of our life experiences, so your situation isn't that unusual. I think a lot of us here are here because of anxiety/stress/depression. But fact your here means your solving your problems, so good job for that!
  • dawnda1234
    dawnda1234 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps. Start by just committing to eating healthy.
  • NalaBellyFIT
    NalaBellyFIT Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A lot of what you said resonates with me. Five years ago, I was at the fittest point of my life. After a few bumps (ahem, um, craters) in the road, I have 55 pounds to lose. I don't know how it got this bad, I'm overwhelmed by the immensity, and my anxiety (that I've dealt with with varying degrees of success for my entire adult life) gets worse with every pound gained.

I'm just starting my journey this time around, but the things I know so far are this: take baby steps, surround yourself with some sort of positive support system, and don't be afraid to mess up. If you have a bad exercise or diet day today, it doesn't mean you're off track tomorrow. Every day is a new day, and a great day to make ourselves happy and healthy.

Cheers and all the best (from right down the pike in western MA)!
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been there and will say, you can do it, just take it one day at a time. I had a traumatic event happen in my life and my weight spiraled out of control. A friend finally reached out and I took my life back. I was at 400 lbs, probably more and no one ever would have thought that was my actual weight. It has taken me 3 years and still have a ways to go, but will get there. Hoping to hit onderland within the next month.

I will say, I didn't look at a scale until several months ago. I kept telling my doc, I don't want to know, I will get discouraged if I am not loosing. Now that I do weigh myself regularly, I get frustrated, but it also pushes me harder to watch everything that goes in my mouth. I also got a fitbit and feel that really slams home my daily activity.

Feel free to add me for support and remember, one day at a time and every ounce lost in better than a gain.
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Everyone here has given you great advice. I have depression and anxiety too. They're right, make small goals...don't look at the big picture. Reward yourself with something other than food once you hit that goal. Like a pedicure, massage, new outfit, etc. Think of the healthy eating as #1...the weight loss will follow. Don't push the exercise now, after you lose some weight, you'll have more energy and more confidence and you'll find yourself GETTING more exercise! You will reach a point where you'll WANT to exercise! It'll be so much easier for you, you won't mind it! Just do something you love! I'd love it if you'd add me as a friend!
  • YAYA_of_2
    YAYA_of_2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 and started at 304 in Feb. I am currently at 250. I battled depression and anxiety as well. At times it does get overwhelming but you can do this. You have to first decide each day that your going to make that day the best you can. Don't worry about the next one. Eat healthy. For me, I cut out sugar, no soda, no sweets. I added more fruits and veggies and drink nothing but water. Now I drank two 2 liters of Pepsi and 3 large sweet teas from McDonald's everyday so this was an adjustment but it can be done. I drink a lot of sparkling water. It gives me the effects of soda but not the calories or sugar. I stay within my calories and I exercise. Now with the exercise its not a lot and you don't have to do much, you can walk, just as long as you move. There is so much more to all of this and I would love to be your friend as I can tell we have a lot in common. I will send you a request. I am looking to add active friends at this time as most of my current friends are not active any longer. So anyone else that is active and likes to interact is welcome to add me as well
  • skyehighlifting
    skyehighlifting Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I struggle with eating wayyyyy too much food then starving myself the next day (binging and purging?) And it's really hard to deal with, especially when I'm aspiring to become a body builder..