how do you do this???

Options
hi.... new 2 mfp.... was doing weight watchers but haven't had the results i have wanted and spending 2 much on it. i find that i cannot eat a perfect balance... i am eating 2 much fat but not enough calories or going over on calories and not on fat.... how does one find the perfect balance. i am in need of some food tips... i did ww back 2004 but i was like 22... now that i am pushing 30 it seems like the weight is not melting off like it used 2. who knows the secret foods....can some one.....anyone help me out? hints/tips greatly appreciated ;)

Replies

• ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I don't know man, I'd say just make sure you get lots of fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats like chicken and fish, and lots of water. I don't eat a balanced diet by any means but I have eggs and yogurt for breakfast, usually soup or something like that for lunch, and I eat whatever I cook for my family for dinner, I just have smaller portions (lasagna, chicken and potatoes, etc.)

I don't know a lot about nutritional information, but I just try to eat a lot of different types of foods throughout the day.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with "secret" foods :)

But I would recommend you try to eat a variety of healthy foods: vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean meats, healthy fats like nuts/avocados and certain oils. Vegetables in particular are low in calories, have fiber, and are quite filling ;). Try a big spinach salad with vegetables and some lean protein like turkey, chicken, or tuna...or chicken or fish, brown rice, and green vegetables...

It takes a while to figure out the best combinations of foods and calories that help with your weight loss, but it is very doable and you can still have some "treat" foods without going over on calories. Good luck!
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    I find that through trial and error you find what works for you, i by no means got it down perfectly, i'm aiming for high fiber, high protein foods, research what will make you happy and what works for you. Good luck!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    ... i'm aiming for high fiber, high protein foods, research what will make you happy and what works for you...

I try for high protein, high fiber too. Both help with satiety. Check WebMD for some suggestions.

good luck!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I would start looking for friends that have lost the weight you want to lose or need to lose and then look at what they do ( food dairy and exercise log) . need some help just let me know
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    play with entering foods in your diary......say you want fish, thats your protein taken care of, add your carbs in...veggies are the best carbs you can get...too low on fat? choose an oily fish instead or drizzle some seasoned olive oil on your veg

Play before you decide what you are eating, the figures on there are guides, I like to think of the carb and fat number as a maximum and the protein figure as a minimum.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    my best advice, and some I got early on when I started here, is to stay away from the inner isles of the grocery store unless you're buying whole grain cereal. This will keep you away from most of the processed high fat/high sodium foods, and keep you in the fresh fruits/veggis, meats and dairies that are most important. Lean ground turkey is a great substitute for ground beef.

I've also found that when starting something new, take a few days to observe how you normally eat, diary everything for a few days, and it will really show you where you need to change. Like if you go out for dinner, log it, and if it's got tons of calories, maybe next time, order no apps, or cut your entree in half, or order low cal dressing etc. last week we went out and splurged on hubby's birthday, I ate 1/5 of the buffalo tenders app. wanted more, but it was satisfying a craving. Saved the rest for hubby for lunch the next day. He ordered onion rings, and I didn't have any. My entree was a bbq wrap, and both halves were huge, so I only ate half, and saved the rest for lunch the next day. It worked out, I did go over calories, but not by much at all, and I was SO full after!

Nothing is instant. You need to give yourself time to adjust both to better eating habits and adding exercise. :) (but don't use that as an excuse to go a month still eating badly.) ;)

Oh, and don't beat yourself up over going over on calories. Give yourself credit for trying, and move on. Best of luck to you! :)