Runner just diagnosed with spinal arthritis (osteoarthritis) and diminished disc space - Advice?

Options
Is my running career over? I've really only just begun. I've completed a handful of 5ks in the past few year and was training for a 1/2 when I broke my foot last November. That led to back spasms assumed from my gait being off. Boot came off in Feb and everything was going fine until I reinjured my foot at a trampoline park. Gait off, spasms returned. But this time I was able to pinpoint where the pain was so doc xrayed higher up my back and found the beginning of the arthritis and that I have a curvature of my spine. Not a concern he said. He could be due to the spasms and may correct. Started physical therapy today and my right side is very tight but she's "seen worse". I'm only 41. I'm not ready to give up running but I don't want to paralyze myself. Anyone have any happy endings in this scenario?

Replies

• williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Ignore it that's what I do
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Yea, hang in there. Doc's are all doom and gloom. Stick with your PT, it usually does wonders. If it doesnt, don't be afraid to find another or go through several cycles. And know that most people have degenerative spinal changes, they are not all symptomatic.

I had piriformis (muscle in the gluteal region) issues that presented as back issues and was told i needed a double fusion, no PT, no hope, nothing, except years of pain and frustration. I found the right doctor who ordered the right tests and had a proper diagnosis. I'm currently recovery from surgery for piriformis issues and nerve decompression.

Good luck. I kept running through all the issues I had. I was determined that it wasn't going to define me. If you can run, no reason not too.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    If there is no pain present, I'd continue running. But if at any time you step out and theres intense pain take a break and try again later. But I think stopping working out/running will be worse for the muscles in your back. Good luck either way <3
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your PT for advice. That why they went to school for 6 years!
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »

I did. She said low impact for now (elliptical) until we can get the spasms to stop.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I had piriformis (muscle in the gluteal region)

I'm dealing with that too. The chiropractor kept trying to convince me it was sciatica and keep seeing him every other day at $50 a pop....I had sciatic during pregnancy. It's not that. The doc did mention possible piriformis. But it's only in my right butt check.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Doc said don't worry about it, so don't worry about it.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I had back problems two summers ago that was a shooting pain from my butt cheek down the back of my thigh, sometimes down to my foot when it was really bad. It was my SI Joint. Time and PT helped. I eventually got a steroid injection, but by then it was quite a bit improved, so I don't know how much the injection actually helped. (It did help me gain about 10 pounds, though. :neutral: In a matter of 2 weeks, and took it's time going away.)

I haven't had any back problems since, and I returned to running and lifting. I'm not lifting as heavy as I used to, just because I don't want to aggravate it. It wasn't a lifting injury, though. It actually happened after spending several hours hunched over a table stenciling. Who the hell has stenciling injuries?! Me. That's who. :blush:

I do have some arthritis in my back, too. I asked my doc about running, before I had the injection, and he said, "It might hurt, but you won't make it worse." But your problem might be different. I figured, if it was going to hurt whether I ran or not, I'd rather run. But not when it was at it's worse. Then I could barely walk.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I've been a competitive distance runner since 08. Have had 2 major spinal fusion's (scoliosis). The recovery's are a B, but I'm able to run normally. There's always a way. You don't have to quit running forever. Listen to you're docs though.

Mine had me running (slowly) 4mo post OP. 2mo after that, I could race.

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If PT says low impact ask about aqua jogging. Stationary running in the deep end of a pool with a specia; flotation belt.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tchrnmommy wrote: »
    meritage4 wrote: »

I did. She said low impact for now (elliptical) until we can get the spasms to stop.

There's your answer then