Organ meat vs Muscle meat

Options
Is it true or false organ meat is very nutritious?

Does anyone eat it?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    True.

No, I don't eat it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It's very true, and I used to. I really need to get back to it, honestly. Now that I've started cooking again, I could do some interesting things.
  • RichardD83
    RichardD83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Why don't we hear more about it? I never see it sold anywhere
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately, it can be pretty hard to come by, unless you know a slaughterhouse owner. I mean, there's some easy stuff to get hold of (liver, the occasional tongue) but most of the stuff freaks out the average consumer to the point where it just ends up being sold off to be ground up as byproduct and/or animal feed before it even has a chance. Something about eyes, heart, and kidney reminds people in an uncomfortable way that yes, what they are eating used to be alive.

Since a couple of the dishes have names that would be filtered by the forum, I'll just throw out a link to a list that I know two of are fantastic, though the others I haven't tried yet.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/19/offal-recipes-ox-cheek-pie-oxtail-soup-tongue-10-best

Numbers three and five are the ones that I know are good.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I do. The slaughterhouse or sometimes Asian markets are great places to get harder to find meats.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I eat liver occasionally. Good with mashed potatoes and butter onions.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's harder to find because the majority of people won't eat organ meat. I don't, and never will.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    RichardD83 wrote: »
    Why don't we hear more about it? I never see it sold anywhere

My local asian markets always have them. They aren't common in "main stream" markets because the markets know they won't sell as well.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Chicken and beef livers are sold in grocery stores.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Chicken and beef livers are sold in grocery stores.

What's the nutrition like on these?? I've seen and tried chicken hearts. How's an easy/ simple way to prepare while still tasting good?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I had rodizio which had roasted chicken hearts in the rotation. The looked yummy and smelled amazing. I took a bite and nearly hurled and spit it out. I wish I could like organ meats but that copper flavor gives me the heebie jeebies.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    In all of these, do not overcook -- should still be at least a little pink inside.

either chicken or beef (I prefer calves) liver:
    caramelize onions in pan with fat of choice
    dredge liver in flour, salt & pepper
    pan fry in pan/fat you used for onions; add herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano) if you like
    deglaze pan with wine and serve liver and onions with deglazed pan juices, and whatever veggies/"starch" you like.

OR (beef/calves liver only)
    broil or grill as you would a steak; season to taste. Serve with whatever sides you like.

OR (chicken livers only)
    poach in water or chicken stock
    mash with fork or food processor with mayo, hard-boiled egg, salt, pepper, lemon juice, onion (sautéed or raw, to taste), herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano, sautéed or raw, to taste)
    serve on crackers or toast points
    (I view this more as an appetizer, but I've been known to spread it on toast, layer on a little turkey, and make a sandwich--I like it with cranberry sauce on the sandwich, but probably not to everyone's taste.)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Organ meat is indeed very nutritious for you; however, some people can't get past the taste. To that end, it's sometimes easier to grind up the organ meat and add a little bit to some other meat dish you are making to "disguise" the taste...that way you/your body still gets the benefit of the nutrition and your taste buds aren't overly accosted! lol
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble finding organ meat, look in the big box stores/grocery stores located in the "ethnic" parts of town. Where I live in the Southeast, we have a decent hispanic population and so our Walmart and Kroger both have chicken/beef livers, and Walmart has beef tongue, heart, tripe. Look at Asian markets if you want to find fish organ meats.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i used to shoot frozen chicken livers and chase it with pineapple juice. down the hatch! My whole foods gets 90% of their chicken from a farm thats local so they also get the hearts/livers ect.
  • Sara_Lady89
    Sara_Lady89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do know that it is very high in cholesterol so if that is a concern of yours I would eat it sparingly
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i used to shoot frozen chicken livers and chase it with pineapple juice. down the hatch! My whole foods gets 90% of their chicken from a farm thats local so they also get the hearts/livers ect.

Raw?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »

Raw?

haha yup!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Chicken livers on toast B)
    This recipe includes calories and macros:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/335611/chicken-livers-on-toast
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, liver and onions. Food of the gods. Steak and kidney pie is pretty good too. And sweetbreads (veal or lamb are the best).