Auto-immune diseases and anti-inflammatory eating plan

Options
Hi there,
Wondering if anyone out there with autoimmune disease(s) has tried an anti-inflammatory diet such as one where you cut out dairy, gluten grains, added sugar, etc? Has following this eating plan helped your symptoms? How long have you been on this diet? Thanks!

Replies

• Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried that diet. I have lupus, and it's controlled with medications. I do know that my lupus improved when I stopped eating red meats. I also limit carbs and sugar because I just had a kidney transplant and don't want to wind up with diabetes.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I tried it, over years I found it made no difference other than I stopped drinking milk for the most part.

I've have had countless talks with people dealing with autoimmune disease and nearly everyone of them has accounted "stress" as the biggest culprit of pain from the disease.

Learn to other stress and things will feel better.
  • InCHarmsWay
    InCHarmsWay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've tried it a few times to help manage my autoimmune disease as well as my GERD, and to cut my reliance on medications (cutting out medications was specific to GERD, because I had been on Nexium for a dangerously long time...I wouldn't necessarily avoid medications for autoimmune diseases based on what you have without consulting your doctor).

I definitely have flare ups of my autoimmune disease that I can correlate to certain foods (drinking alcohol and eating fried foods seem to be my biggest culprits), but I didn't notice enough of a difference overall to stick with the anti-inflammatory diet for longer than a few months at a time. And if you're really strict about it there end up being too many foods that give me joy that I would have to cut out (cheese, tomatoes, coffee, etc.). Limiting stress, sleeping well, and drinking plenty of water seem to help the most.

My suggestion is to try it, see how you do with your symptoms, and at the very least maybe you'll find how your body reacts to particular foods.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this as well...I have uveitis (an autoimmune condition that causes inflammation of the eye). I've found some studies that suggest that an increased omega-3 intake can help, but I haven't found any overwhelming evidence that specific diets can influence autoimmune issues. I want to echo what everyone else has said...stress, by far, is the worst thing for me.
  • InCHarmsWay
    InCHarmsWay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I'm curious about this as well...I have uveitis (an autoimmune condition that causes inflammation of the eye). I've found some studies that suggest that an increased omega-3 intake can help, but I haven't found any overwhelming evidence that specific diets can influence autoimmune issues. I want to echo what everyone else has said...stress, by far, is the worst thing for me.

Can't hurt to throw some extra flaxseeds on things!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Can't hurt to throw some extra flaxseeds on things!

Exactly. I've started taking algae oil (I don't eat meat, so no fish oil for me) just in case.
  • mellykdc
    mellykdc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos and have been slowly culling gluten from my diet. I like to make smoothies with a lot of blueberries and blackberries, which have anti-inflammatory properties as well as antioxidants. My BF has gouty issues, and he likes to get celery juice when he can. It seems to help.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's and the anti inflammatory diet didn't make a difference. I do have tons of food restrictions (triggers) that I avoid though.
  • Bogcart
    Bogcart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Canordlund wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Wondering if anyone out there with autoimmune disease(s) has tried an anti-inflammatory diet such as one where you cut out dairy, gluten grains, added sugar, etc? Has following this eating plan helped your symptoms? How long have you been on this diet? Thanks!

Cutting out Gluten and most milks has helped my fatigue. I also use peppermint oil and also capsules for my gut and that helps, however I would have to check if peppermint is OK for an actual diagnosed AI disease.
    What I'd like to really get sorted is my Diverticular Disease; that's really horrible when it flares up.
    Good luck, oh and beware of high sugars in lots of GF foods.
    Rams.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have Sjögren's syndrome. but previously i was experiencing some GERD, eczema, and bloating. I did an elimination diet and found out i'm lactose intolerant. I am so glad i did it because i was able to rule out other potential issues.

I am vegetarian (i eat eggs), but now that i've cut out dairy all those issues i was having have gone away.

As far as the issues with my Sjögren's syndrome adding a flax oil, a krill oil, using body oils after every shower, drinking plenty of water, consistently using eye drops, using eye gel at night, getting plugs put in my tearducts, using a biotene mouth rinse, etc. has helped. But these are all specific to my disease. :(
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with sarcoidosis in my lungs. I haven't slept a full night since....it's been six months. Once I start sleeping again I want to try the paleo thing.
  • rlgfoldesi
    rlgfoldesi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have ulcerative colitis which is an autoimmune disease I am on a keto diet has helped my symptoms tremendously. No cut out all grain, rice, potatoes. Have had amazing results look into the keto diet it really helps
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have celiac, hashi's and ITP. I also eat a ketoenic diet to reduce inflammation and find it helps. The Wahl's Protocol (for MS) led me to LCHF for AI issues.
  • choplikekarate
    choplikekarate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease and I've not cut out dairy completely or sugars, but consume them in moderation (I use almond milk for cooking, and indulge only in 1/4 c. low fat cheese for my daily lunch salad). Gluten is a huge trigger for me, so I don't eat any gluten at all. Other food families, like nightshades and capsicum, also cause a significant amount of acid reflux / inflammation, so I tend not to eat ANY bell peppers and very little tomatoes. Eating clean, logging my food intake, and keeping a good 40 carbs / 30 protein / 30 fat ratio has helped me significantly, but it's been something I've worked on pinpointing / perfecting over the course of 15 years.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and RA. I stick to a gluten free keto diet and it seems to help a lot. I experimented with giving up dairy and didn't see a difference. I also find that artificial sweeteners cause my RA to flare so I avoid those as well. I mostly eat meat, cheese, butter, cream, berries, nuts, and non-starchy vegetables.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have behcets/fibro/possible ibs-GERD
    elimination has done nothing except help the gerd. spicy/greasy foods will trigger something when i'm already inflamed.

stress is a huge trigger so i've added exercise and meditation. helps with the medication
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac Disease and must adhere to a strict gluten free diet. Additionally, I am lactose intolerant so I eat a low dairy diet (occasionally some Greek Yogurt or a bit of cheese or frozen yogurt). That all being said, I did the Whole30 in May and LOVED it.

Wait, LOVED is an unfair word... hindsight - really enjoyed it. During it, it was difficult.

If you don't know what Whole30 is - you must cut out all dairy, gluten and grains, added sugars (including agave/stevia/maple syrup) and alcohol for 30 days. Then a reintroduction to assess if anything triggers you. I didn't reindroduce dairy or gluten so I found my elimination results minimal. However, I lost 10 lbs and now have a much better relationship with food and cooking and meal prep.