Need Help have a Serious Sweet Tooth

Options
Need help I need to break my sweet tooth and start eating a lot more healthier, I'm planning on eating fish and veggies for lunch and maybe salads for dinner I know I can do this please feel free to add me as I need all the help I can get.

Replies

• mauriziovecchione234
    Options
    Hi, i am very happy help you in this period of diet for good healt. When you want do question to me you not have any problem. Good day.
  • crispw60
    crispw60 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello FNM. Congrats on taking the plunge and reaching out. It sounds like you're resigning to an overly restrictive and boring diet. Wouldn't recommend seafood 7 days a week lest you want to o.d. on mercury. Too much of any good thing undoes the goodness.

I'd suggest just eating clean with as little-to-nothing from packaged goods as possible, eliminate salt and sugar along with it. Sugar is merely a recreational drug, to be used consciously on blue moon days. Stevia is a great substitute but minimize that even then.

Hydration is key before all meals. If you throw everything you love into diet jail and try to stick to rabbit food only, you'll fail quickly. Eat chocolate everyday if you want to but just make it dark chocolate and limit to a couple of squares (I do; it's great). If you ween yourself down off the large servings of sugar, you'll be amazed how little will satisfy you afterward. Same goes for salt so you can shed water. Don't ditch everything, just replace the zero-nutrition items with high quality subs. You can have pizza for lunch. Just make it a personal-sized pita bread with no-salt-added tomato sauce, add your own spices (oregano, basil, pepper, etc) and your favorite toppings. Use brown rice or quinoa and jettison the white rice (same for bread, use whole wheat).

You'll need a caloric deficit to lose the weight you want but all that sugar will confound your best efforts and keep beating you backwards. Try picking up a piece of fruit when the itch must be scratched and pat yourself on the back for each one of those little victories. You'll feel amazing and it'll strengthen your constitution for the next battle! Fiber + protein + hydration with meals will keep the snack attacks at bay. Treat to eat five little meals a day and you won't go hungry. You can do it if you give yourself a chance. Diets have been proven not to work millions of times. You want a lifestyle change instead that you can follow the rest of your life.

Just scratching the surface here so feel free to post any questions!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    For weight loss calories are all that matter and those calories can come from sweet/savoury, "good"/"bad", "clean"/"dirty" foods and the weight loss will be the same - calorie dependant.

For health, the types of food you eat do matter and you should aim for a balance of protein, fat and carbs and allow yourself some of your favourite foods on occasion.

Some people feel the need to eliminate certain foods in order to gain control over them but in my experience this is not a sensible strategy and denial, for me at least, leads to cravings and on occasion binges.

My strategy is to include the foods I love (for me it's chocolate and cake) into my weekly food plan - all within my calorific allowance.

• ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a massive sweet tooth too! It's a real problem. For me, the only way I can stay away from sugar is when I go cold turkey on sugary foods/drinks, and just cut it all out! Not sure if that would work for you? Good luck!!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    crispw60 wrote: »
    Sugar is merely a recreational drug, to be used consciously on blue moon days.

Sugar is just a food - there is nothing drug-like about it. It's just a simple carbohydrate (much like the type in the pizza you recommend OP eats for lunch or the fruit you ask the OP to consider instead of some other snack).
    Treat to eat five little meals a day and you won't go hungry.

Meal timings have zero effect on weight loss - some eating patterns may help with compliance but that seems to be a personal preference and OP would be best advised to experiment with meals/snack to find what works for them (and fits into their lifestyle).
    Don't ditch everything, just replace the zero-nutrition items with high quality subs.

There is no zero-nutrition food. This Good Food/Bad Food concept is one of the biggest problems with the "health/fitness/diet" industry and its continual regurgitation seems to hinder people in finding a sustainable eating system ("diet") rather than help.

• catstratch
    catstratch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, I have a sweet tooth myself. Don't sweat off something you like completely, learn to live in peace with it! What has worked for me were:
    1. Take a 3 to 7-day break from it. This is to reset your palette. Afterward you might find that what you used to enjoy is wayyyyy too sweet, which comes to my next point
    2. Learn to bake some goodies, so you know exactly what is in there. Tweak the recipe, e.g. 1/3 instead of 1/2c sugar, go for healthier version...
    3. They can taste a bit bland at first but you'll get used to it
    4. If you get the really sweet treat once in a while, remember to stick to a portion size!
    That's all I can think of now.
  • dongarvin
    dongarvin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Since you're already here on MFP you know to watch your calories so when the sweet cravings hit try some berries, in moderation of course. And when I get a chocolate craving I have a glass of chocolate cashew milk instead of a slice of chocolate cake. Just keep track of your calories!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Buy Lindt Sea Salt chocolate squares.
    I eat one after a meal. 44 calories. Does the trick. Let it melt slowly in your mouth. Sweet tooth satisfied.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Have something sweet, just log it and allow for it in your calories for the day/week. Totally cutting out what you actually enjoy is how a lot of people end up binging later.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes. No joke, it's awesome. Fruit is now my dessert and that too is awesome. P.S. I never liked fruit but love how eating healthy makes me feel.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Try greek yogurt (Dannon Light & Fit is 80 calories) or frozen (I like Yasso) pops for 100 calories. Or both!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If sugar were a drug, I can't even tell you how may times I would have been too high to know my own name. If you've found an actual way to trip b@llz off of sugar, please share with the class. :P
  • dahliagrower11
    dahliagrower11 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi FNM ... I took a quick look at your diary and I would suggest switching out the tracking of Potassium to show Sugar instead .... Unless there is a dietary need to track your potassium levels. It will give you a better idea of how much sugar you are taking in.

Like others have said - you don't have to give up sugar - but being aware of the high sugar foods will give you a better idea of when to make healthy switches.

For me the big one is yogurt ... I've eaten vanilla yogurts for years .... but in the last few months I've switched to the plain greek yogurt with way less sugar ... and I add in a bit of granola (more for crunch than anything else) and some fresh or frozen berries. After two months - I don't think I could go back to flavoured yogurts ....

Salad dressings are another one with loads of added sugars. When you are paying attention to those foods that have so much hidden sugars - then you will actually have some room to add in something that is a real sweet (cake, ice cream, chocolate etc).
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Need help I need to break my sweet tooth and start eating a lot more healthier, I'm planning on eating fish and veggies for lunch and maybe salads for dinner I know I can do this please feel free to add me as I need all the help I can get.

Why do you want to break your sweet tooth? Instead of trying to break or cut sugar, I suggest trying moderation with it.

The tendency to ban food groups stems from this idea that food is absolute, its black and white, its good and bad. Actually there is a sh** ton of grey with this.

There is no such thing as good food, bad food. Placing labels on food, leads us to ban them from our intake. We say, “No, No, No, No, No…” We push for the perfect diet, once we eat this food that does not fall into this neat diet box; we throw our hands up, saying we failed so now is the time to eat everything we can. This leads to punishment. Which leads to more restrictions. This is the vicious cycle we as binge eaters face. I used to believe it myself, that there was clean food and bad food. It simply is this manifested idea. If you ask a vegan, he/she will say animal based foods are not clean. Someone who is a vegetarian will disagree, and say it is just animal products that are not clean. Then a paleo guy runs in screaming about how meat is clean, but grains aren’t. So someone has to be right? They are all wrong. Instead, adopt my grandmother’s wise old adage of “everything in moderation.” AKA IIFYM:)

Really try moderation, I am afraid that eliminating sugar will start to lead you toward to ledge of an ED. It doesn't seem that way at first, but over time as things build up, you tendency to binge is directly correlated with how much you restrict yourself.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    So you say you plan to start eating healthier, then also plan your sweets. I too have a really issue with sweets and one of the things that I did was to upgrade my sweets. No drugstore or supermarket sweets but boutique or specific bakery items. This served several things, one it really made me plan my sweets, since I usually had to go out of my way for them this added more activity and with cost this also meant I really paid attention to how much I could afford monetary and calorie wise. Try eating fruit during the day, but even with fruit you have to pay attention to serving sizes. What I am currently doing because I have become sort of lazy is that in order for me to have anything sweet I must first have at least one serving of some vegetable and not surprisingly more times than not I am okay not giving into the sweets.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is a subjective word... and to me its balance and moderation. Healthy is also making myself happy and sometimes that means eating food not viewed as "healthy". I make sure I eat things nutritionally sound... plenty of veggies, fruits, good fats, I use a whole food nutritional powder to bridge any gaps. I also eat fast food, drink alcohol, eat packages snacks, chips, cookies, ice cream whatever. last night while looking online i saw a picture of a layer vanilla Chantilly cake filled with fresh berries. A that moment it became my lifes mission to consume anything close to that. I went to the store and bought a slice. It fit into my days calories and sweet tooth was at bay. Its up to you to decide if you want to omit things like that completely or find ways to make it fit into your daily/weekly/whatever life.
  • crispw60
    crispw60 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

--"Sugar is just a food - there is nothing drug-like about it. It's just a simple carbohydrate (much like the type in the pizza you recommend OP eats for lunch or the fruit you ask the OP to consider instead of some other snack)."

There isn't anything not drug-like about added sugar, and there are different types. Added sugar can cause changes in the brain chemistry leading to dependence, withdrawal symptoms, cravings, binges, the whole nine yards (aka medical addiction). There's also data suggesting it's harder to break than amphetamines or alcohol due to the impact on stress hormones. The pita bread I recommended has 1g sugar and 5 net carbs, an entirely healthy choice vs the sugar cravings the poster referenced. The fruit has natural sugar, affecting the system very differently and positively with a multitude of nutrients and vitamins. I don't know anyone that had to check-in to a clinic for eating too many apples. Maybe that's what happened to you.

--"Meal timings have zero effect on weight loss - some eating patterns may help with compliance but that seems to be a personal preference and OP would be best advised to experiment with meals/snack to find what works for them (and fits into their lifestyle)."

No one said she'd lose 50% more weight based on what time of day she ate. This was a suggestion to equally space meals to evenly distribute protein for max effect and reduce glycemic load surges to maintain a steadier level, among other things. Regular intake also helps to prevent binging. I believe the poster asked for suggestions to break a sugar hold and eat more healthy.
    Don't ditch everything, just replace the zero-nutrition items with high quality subs.

--"There is no zero-nutrition food. This Good Food/Bad Food concept is one of the biggest problems with the "health/fitness/diet" industry and its continual regurgitation seems to hinder people in finding a sustainable eating system ("diet") rather than help."

Oh contraire, li'l grasshopper. For starters, check the label on some Diet Coke.

I think the lady just asked for a little help so I don't know that your conspiracy-theorist criticisms are useful for her purpose.

• MishaWest79
    MishaWest79 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Rather than looking for ways to curb your sweet cravings, I would suggest investigating why you are craving them. It could be your body is nutrient deficient; often around that time of the month my brain craves chocolate and steak when what my body needs is magnesium and iron. Is there a particular sweet food you are craving, or is a general want of anything sweet? If it’s general you may need to get a blood test to rule out iron deficiency or thyroid issues.

Or maybe you have created a habitual sweet food binge time. An example might be eating sweets when you're bored, after the kids are tucked into bed, when you settle in to watch a movie, when you feel tired. If this is the case try swapping the sweets for a new healthy habit/activity like painting your nails, having a bath, brushing your teeth, exercising, and so on until the craving passes….21 consistent days should turn it around.

If after eating an iron rich, high fiber diet with plenty of protein for awhile you may discover you aren’t the sweet tooth you think you are and simply enjoy sweet treats in moderation, like you should be able to do.

• kimby303
    kimby303 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

--"Sugar is just a food - there is nothing drug-like about it. It's just a simple carbohydrate (much like the type in the pizza you recommend OP eats for lunch or the fruit you ask the OP to consider instead of some other snack)."

There isn't anything not drug-like about added sugar, and there are different types. Added sugar can cause changes in the brain chemistry leading to dependence, withdrawal symptoms, cravings, binges, the whole nine yards (aka medical addiction). There's also data suggesting it's harder to break than amphetamines or alcohol due to the impact on stress hormones. The pita bread I recommended has 1g sugar and 5 net carbs, an entirely healthy choice vs the sugar cravings the poster referenced. The fruit has natural sugar, affecting the system very differently and positively with a multitude of nutrients and vitamins. I don't know anyone that had to check-in to a clinic for eating too many apples. Maybe that's what happened to you.

--"Meal timings have zero effect on weight loss - some eating patterns may help with compliance but that seems to be a personal preference and OP would be best advised to experiment with meals/snack to find what works for them (and fits into their lifestyle)."

No one said she'd lose 50% more weight based on what time of day she ate. This was a suggestion to equally space meals to evenly distribute protein for max effect and reduce glycemic load surges to maintain a steadier level, among other things. Regular intake also helps to prevent binging. I believe the poster asked for suggestions to break a sugar hold and eat more healthy.

--"There is no zero-nutrition food. This Good Food/Bad Food concept is one of the biggest problems with the "health/fitness/diet" industry and its continual regurgitation seems to hinder people in finding a sustainable eating system ("diet") rather than help."

Oh contraire, li'l grasshopper. For starters, check the label on some Diet Coke.

I think the lady just asked for a little help so I don't know that your conspiracy-theorist criticisms are useful for her purpose.

Yes, exactly!! Studies have shown that sugar is more addictive than cocaine! I, too, am a "crack" (sugar) addict, and the only way I can stop is cold turkey. It's definitely hard the first week (or two), but I know that if I have one sweet thing, I'll want three, which quickly turns into five. Just do it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth, and I've always known that it would just not be sustainable for me to stop eating sweets forever. You can find healthier ways of satisfying your sweet tooth than having a huge bowl of Ben and Jerry's or a candy bar though... Protein powder (in oatmeal or yogurt), nut bars, chocolate covered nuts, yogurt, frozen yogurt, lower calorie ice cream etc. Then once in a while, save calories for a treat that you really want.

In my experience, the more I restrict, the more I'll binge on the stuff eventually.