I need to learn the basics about strength training.

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
I've lost a lot of weight over the past year, I feel great, I'm happy with my weight, and now I'm starting to concentrate on strength. I've been a cyclist all my life, and do a lot of hiking and scrambling and climbing, so my goal now is to build muscle in my upper body.

I got a set of resistance bands a month ago and have been using them every other day, along with pushups. I started eating a small calorie surplus and have been getting more protein. My arms and chest look a little bit bigger, and my girlfriend is happy with the progress so far. :smile:

Now that I've been doing it a little bit I'd like to learn a little more. I know there are lots of workout programs available but I'd like to understand what's going on. I'm a "give a man a fish / teach a man to fish" kind of guy. With that in mind I'd love to hear any advice people have for me. I have a couple of specific questions though:

* How should I decide how many sets and reps I should be doing for each exercise? Goal is to build muscle mass, a good friend recommended 3 sets of 15 reps, I've been using that so far but...?

* I've been doing basically the same routine for weeks but have added resistance when I feel it's appropriate. Any guidance on when I should add more weight? Some things are easy through the first set and become challenging during the second, others are hard right from the start.

* I do this about the same time every other day, is ~47 hours enough time for recovery? (Feels like it so far?)

* How long does the newbie gains period last?

I've asked Google a few of these questions and found a lot of contradictory information. I'm hoping people here can help me clarify some of this stuff (especially sets and reps), and maybe clue me in to some things I don't even know to ask about yet.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    * How should I decide how many sets and reps I should be doing for each exercise? Goal is to build muscle mass, a good friend recommended 3 sets of 15 reps, I've been using that so far but...?

Quite simply, you shouldn't. Once you decide on a program, follow the sets and reps specified. That said, it doesn't really matter the rep/set scheme. At least, not nearly as much as people generally think. Eric Helms did a great piece regarding this, and the bottom line was that 5x5 and 3x8-10 had nearly the same results. As such, like I said - pick a program and follow it. You'll probably want to bulk, to put on muscle, but you could probably recomp and see decent gains, as you're essentially new to upper body lifting.
    * I've been doing basically the same routine for weeks but have added resistance when I feel it's appropriate. Any guidance on when I should add more weight? Some things are easy through the first set and become challenging during the second, others are hard right from the start.

As in the first part of my response, a good program will tell you when to add weight and how much.
    * I do this about the same time every other day, is ~47 hours enough time for recovery? (Feels like it so far?)

Yes.

That depends on any number of factors, such as if you're in a deficit, maintaining, or gaining; how big a deficit, if that's the case; age; hormones; genetics; and so on. But, generally, no more than six months, if you're lucky.

@psulemon had a great thread about picking a routine, but I'm having a really hard time finding it now.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Quite simply, you shouldn't. Once you decide on a program, follow the sets and reps specified. That said, it doesn't really matter the rep/set scheme. At least, not nearly as much as people generally think. Eric Helms did a great piece regarding this, and the bottom line was that 5x5 and 3x8-10 had nearly the same results. As such, like I said - pick a program and follow it. You'll probably want to bulk, to put on muscle, but you could probably recomp and see decent gains, as you're essentially new to upper body lifting.

As in the first part of my response, a good program will tell you when to add weight and how much.

Yes.

That depends on any number of factors, such as if you're in a deficit, maintaining, or gaining; how big a deficit, if that's the case; age; hormones; genetics; and so on. But, generally, no more than six months, if you're lucky.

@psulemon had a great thread about picking a routine, but I'm having a really hard time finding it now.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    The 2 novice strength development programs most often mentioned are Starting Strength (SS) and Stronglifts (SL).

I've used both programs and prefer Starting Strength but you can decide which you prefer for yourself. Starting Strength has a forum and LOTS of videos/articles about strength development. Stonglifts does as well. Just Google and read them.

The basic method is called "linear progression" (LP) -- you just add more and more weight to the bar (little by little) over time until you plateau (which will take at least 3-6 months). Then will you need to incorporate certain techniques to overcome the plateau in order to make further strength gains, because the basic LP approach is no longer effective.

SS and SL both use Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Presses and Overhead Presses. SS also uses Power Cleans, while SL uses Barbell Rows for the 5th lift. SS uses 3 sets x 5 reps (3x5) for the 4 main lifts plus 1x5 for Deadlifts. SS uses 5 sets x 5 reps (5x5) and 1x5 for Deadlifts. Only 1x5 is used for Deadlifts because it is (or should) be) so strenuous that additional reps across are not recommended.

Generally, speaking the more sets and reps performed, the more you are "training" for endurance (rather than for strength) because you have to use lower weights to complete the additional sets/reps. For strength, it is generally recommended to use fewer sets/reps, which is why both SS and SL use only 3x5 or 5x5. If you do 3 sets and 15 reps, you will not get "stronger"; you'll just be able to lift lower weights longer.

If you want to get stronger and lift heavier and heavier weights, following either program precisely as designed will do the job. If you mess around w/the programs and do other things than they recommend, you can still get stronger but then you will not be doing the programs; you'll be doing something else.

Doing something else is fine if you know what you are doing but, if you are truly a weight lifting novice, you really don't know enough to mess around w/a well established and proven program. So, I'd suggest that you stick w/which ever program you choose for at least 3-6 months, which is probably when you'll plateau and need to incorporate certain adaptations & changes to move forward.

Good luck!

• JuicerLab
    JuicerLab Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eat clean and lift heavy.

If there’s one constant thing we say across Nerd Fitness, it’s that if you want to lose weight, gain muscle, or just look better than ever for an upcoming event, the one thing you must absolutely do is eat clean and lift heavy.

But what exactly does that mean? And how do you get started? And why does this work so darn well? We’ve touched on it a few times before, gone over your diet, and shown you some people it’s worked for, but we haven’t really gone into great detail.

Today that changes.

This is the first in a series of articles from NF Team Member Staci, covering all things strength training. Today we’ll be covering the basics before we tackle each movement in more detail.

Note: If you’re new to fitness, this series might be information overload. Check out our Beginner’s Guide to Getting in Shape and the Beginner’s Bodyweight Workout.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A fellow cyclist's perspective:

Ideally you would follow a program but as a keen cyclist you may encounter interference problems between both training and recovery. Bear in mind I'm a lot older than you and my recovery needs are different!
    The way I balance my cycling and strength work is by doing them on alternate days of upper body strength and lower body cycling/cardio (weather often a factor though...). A peculiar take on a upper/lower split routine if you like - every day I'm working half my body while the other half is recovering
    If all your cycling is at the weekend then that gives you different scheduling options.

In the summer season I do almost no leg strength work with weights, I do heavy resistance and hills on the bike though.
    So my strength training in summer is virtually all upper body and core. I build my routine around big compound lifts and balance push & pull exercises. Pair a lat pull down with shoulder press, bench press with a row for example.
    Typically a session would be multiple sets of four compound lifts (pull/push/pull/push), core/abs work and often finish off with accessory work (for fun or to target a particular muscle group).
    With good cardio fitness you can pack a lot into a relatively short time.

Reps are less important (IMHO) than making sure you are really pushing on the final couple of reps (overload is a primary stimulus for growth). There are programs/training methods that use volume and fatigue stimulus but that's not really a good idea for a beginner, keep it simple.
    A very simple way to decide when to increase when you can hit 12 reps (for example) add weight. But if you do find a program that finds in your schedule - follow its rep recommendations.
    How long does the newbie gains period last?
    Bit of a piece of string question really but tailing off after 6 months probably, not a sudden stop. It does return to a degree if you have a break though - far easier and quicker to get back to a previous training/strength level.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    While you're new and at lower weight, nail your form. Practice form. Terrible form is the downfall to many who try to gain strength and muscle...and a good way to injure yourself.