What is the best Gym machines to use to lose weight fast?

Options
I am 62 years old and I need to lose 26kg in three months - what is the best way of doing this? I have never had to do it before - but since having cancer treatment twice in 7 years I have just ballooned and gained weight. Any help will be grately appreciated, Thank you all.

Replies

• niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Might be worth considering the treadmill and something like the C25K (Couch to 5K) running programme. I certainly burn calories faster running than anything else I've tried.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Whichever one makes you work the hardest, for the longest. It's not going to be very useful if you're bored and say "screw this" after 20 minutes. Give them all a try. Play with resistance settings, etc.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    As others have said, whatever you can utilize with the highest intensity.

However, why the timeline? Unless you are extremely obese, you're looking at an unrealistic weight loss goal. A healthy goal is about 2lbs a week, and that's typically for the really overweight. Many suggest 1lb per week for more than one reason.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eating in a deficit. Also 5lbs a week weightloss is highly unrealistic unless you are morbidly obese.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I would say tread mill because at least with that, it's all "you" doing the work. The other machines assist so you're not working as hard as you think you are.
  • Majorovel
    Majorovel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Majorovel wrote: »
    I am 62 years old and I need to lose 26kg in three months - what is the best way of doing this? I have never had to do it before - but since having cancer treatment twice in 7 years I have just ballooned and gained weight. Any help will be grately appreciated, Thank you all.
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    It is an oft-quoted truism that you can't out-exercise a bad diet

so the very first machine you need is kitchen scales

weigh and accurately log everything that passes your lips

start walking more

if you want to hit the gym do so for the benefits of exercise and weight resistance - find a programme you can stick to, incorporate some cardio and a decent progressive resistance programme

but mainly - eat with care and attention and pleasure to hit your calorie defecit across the week

and I wish you good health

Thank you - I am trying all. God bless.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    The best thing you'll find in the gym, in my opinion, are the free weights and the weight machines. Food is key to losing weight, but weight training helps ensure you're losing fat and holding onto muscle.
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Elliptical...easier on the joints than treadmill.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You won't lose that much that fast. You're looking to lose 2 kg every week, that's just not happening without severely hurting your health.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Most people here advocate a diet with plenty of variety of foods that a person enjoys in portions that are consistent with their activity level and goals. CICO is the shorthand for that. A meal at a fast food restaurant can be included in a person's plans, it just requires discipline and adjustment in the overall context of their diet.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You won't lose that much that fast. You're looking to lose 2 kg every week, that's just not happening without severely hurting your health.

+1

Set an appropriate goal based on your current weight and stats in MFP. Losing 1 kg a week is possible but very aggressive, a slower goal is more appropriate for many people.

Any activity, inside or outside of the gym, that has you move your body will help you burn more calories. Pick one (or more) that you enjoy doing, is compatible with your physical abilities, and that you can do consistently. If you use machines at the gym, treat the calorie reading with extreme skepticism they're often overestimated.

MFP is designed for you to log your physical activity and adds calories to your target to compensate. Eat a portion of those, but also treat that number with skepticism since the MFP overestimates calories burned, too. Eating back about half is a reasonable place to start.

Give any change of routine about 3-4 weeks to see a trend in your results, make adjustments as you go.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have heard that it is best to go low fat while eating high carb and better to go high fat when dropping carbs. I am thinking about possibly splitting the macros evenly 3 ways. What would happen then? I know my answer is that if I am able to keep to eat less CI and burn more CO I will lose weight over time. So the macro arrangements appear to be primarily personal preference.

I was low-fat for several years and have recently been adding healthy fats (ie natural not man made ex. No trans-fats) and am feeling much better with less aches and more energy.

Edited: typos

• katie2400
    katie2400 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi:) Tracking what you eat here on MFP will help tremendously.. make sure your eating nutritious foods, and not a lot of pre packaged stuff ( this has helped me) As for the gym, I think anything you do that you enjoy and keep doing will help you lose weight. Does your gym offer classes? trainer? I enjoy lifting weights and doing some hiit on the stair machine ( rotating stairs, not the stair master)
    My mom just went through cancer treatment and she has lost weight just by changing her diet ( she eats way less sugars now) and walking the track with a friend. Good luck!:)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I have heard that it is best to go low fat while eating high carb and better to go high fat when dropping carbs. I am thinking about possibly splitting the macros evenly 3 ways. What would happen then? I know my answer is that if I am able to keep to eat less CI and burn more CO I will lose weight over time. So the macro arrangements appear to be primarily personal preference.

I was low-fat for several years and have recently been adding healthy fats (ie natural not man made ex. No trans-fats) and am feeling much better with less aches and more energy.

Edited: typos

you will hear, and read, all manner of things .. because the diet and fitness industry is huge and it pays to have a unique selling point.

Please ignore all of it - please find a way of eating that suits you, something you can stick to for the rest of your life and hit your calories across the week (whether your goal is to lose, maintain or gain weight - that's the crux)

So maybe for you HFLC will work (didn't for me), maybe IF (again not my way), keto, atkins, harcombe, weightwatchers, slimming world... they are all ways to hit a calorie defecit - so if you like to cook and eat design your own

eat enough protein - minimum of 0.64-0.8g per lb bodyweight
    eat enough fat - minimum 0.35-0.4g per lb bodyweight
    move more
    do some progressive resistance
    don't believe in fads or supplements or nonsense rules - eat a widely nutritious diet, allow yourself foods you love - hit your calories