Body Issues

Options
Its amazing how you are your own worst enemy!

I started my weight loss journey at 109kgs (240 pounds), to date I have lost 40kgs (88 pounds) and have about 6kgs (13 pounds) to go before I reach my target weight.

Yesterday I was chatting to my Mom, who has always been thin (she eats crazy healthy and works out a lot), she started with a new personal trainer yesterday and turns out that I weigh only 2kgs (4 pounds) more than her....... Yet in my mind and in my mirror I am still fat!

I'm assuming it will take time for my brain to register that I'm kinda at a healthy weight...... Just not sure how long that takes.

Anyone else had this? Does it get better? Will I eventually see myself as "thin"?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It does get better! Have you bought fun new clothing? That may help :)
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    OP, this really resonates with me! I'm only 2lb heavier than my mum who has always been active and slim and my brain still hasn't caught up! I still catch my reflection in mirrors and do a double-take. I guess it'll just take a while because I was fat for far longer than I have been slim.
  • cassy_cake
    cassy_cake Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic good for you! :blush:
    I find comparing pictures does amazing things for realization. Looking back on older pictures when I was a t a lower weight I remember the mentality of being overweight but in reality I looked so much better than I did in my own head.
    Sometimes it takes a while to really see it! :)
    You will get there x
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have heard this before and in the process of losing. I hope it gets better for all our sake.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Body dysmoprphia is an awful thing. It does get better but takes time to adjust. You are your own worst critic!
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet myself (I remember the last time I was this weight, I've yo-yoed over the years), but from what I've heard, it can take a year or sometimes a little more before you stop being 'fat' inside your head and start realizing that the person in the mirror is really you.

I finally dug up an old pic of me at my highest and put it next to one of me from a few days ago. My mental image of what I look like is somewhere in between. Probably because I've been avoiding cameras and mirrors for years.

I predict that seeing a picture of myself at my final goal weight will probably cause fainting. Or possibly a stroke. Lol, we'll see.
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Glad to hear it will eventually get better! Think some new fun clothing is a GREAT idea!!

Good luck to everyone going through the same thing xx
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing