Ideal Macros

Options
Trying to eat a balanced diet. Burning a lot of calories between circuit training and breastfeeding. The app set up a 1500 cal goal for me based on my goal. How much of that should be carbs, protein and fat?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you don't want to begin with the defaults recommended by MFP?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is no ideal macros but rather recommended range, which can differ based on goals. Generally, what I would recommend:

1g of protein /lb of lean body mass
    .35-.6 of fat
    rest carbs.

Carbs and fats are very flexible and can be adjusted based on satiety and personal preference.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I just use the defaults set by mfp. I always try to hit my protien goal, but I just let the fats and carbs fall where they do. I never have trouble getting enough healthy fats and honestly I don't pay too much attention to the carbs.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I find the defaults are way WAY off from my own personal goals. The protein, specifically, is too low for me.
  • ElizabethVigorito
    ElizabethVigorito Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Okay I must not be understanding the defaults since all it does is log number of calories but how do i see these?
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,151 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    (In your web browser) Under Goals in the Home tab you can either use a 'guided setup' to have the app do it for you, or use the edit function in the table to manually set up your macros. I didn't like the default ratios either, once I understood what the different types of ratios were.

Initially, I had a hard time wrapping my head around the macro ratios because I couldn't find a good description of why they were what they were (and I prefer to understand things than just have blind faith in an app). This article helped me understand them better, and also understand that it becomes a bit subjective based on what is working for the individual and what your personal goals are. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html , YMMV.

I had started with a low carb/high protein set of ratios for fat loss, but I couldn't get enough protein even with using protein powder. I also needed a bit more carbs for other reasons. So after some trial and error, I reset mine closer to balanced maintenance ratios and just focus for now on my calorie deficit. I have an easier time hitting the ratios and I'm still losing for now, so it works for me. I think once I get closer to my goal, I'll be altering the ratios a bit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Okay I must not be understanding the defaults since all it does is log number of calories but how do i see these?

Are you using the app or the website?
  • ElizabethVigorito
    Options
    So I am guessing higher protein ratio snd lower fat/carbs is key? Trying to stick to healthy fats especially with bfing. Coconut oil, avacados. Did my first day focusing on more protein by adding a veg protein shake and tuna & boiled eggs to salads. Today gonna try and lower my carbs. Thanks for the guidance!
  • ElizabethVigorito
    Options
    @diannethegeek
    I was looking at the pie graph in the app but it only showed what I consumed for the day but not any goals or suggested breakdown of macro ratios.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek
    I was looking at the pie graph in the app but it only showed what I consumed for the day but not any goals or suggested breakdown of macro ratios.

It should tell you under the graph your Total % and your goal %.
    If you flip to the nutrient tab instead of the macro tab it will tell you Total you consumed/ goal in grams/ what is remaining.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options

@diannethegeek

This...
    psulemon wrote: »
    There is no ideal macros but rather recommended range, which can differ based on goals. Generally, what I would recommend:

1g of protein /lb of lean body mass
    .35-.6 of fat
    rest carbs.

Carbs and fats are very flexible and can be adjusted based on satiety and personal preference.

You should determine your LBM.

You get that by taking your weight and then using a method to determine your BF %. That can be taken by measurement .

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/07/13/5-ways-to-measure-body-fat-percentage/

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So I am guessing higher protein ratio snd lower fat/carbs is key? Trying to stick to healthy fats especially with bfing. Coconut oil, avacados. Did my first day focusing on more protein by adding a veg protein shake and tuna & boiled eggs to salads. Today gonna try and lower my carbs. Thanks for the guidance!

Carbs and fats are more personal preference; I tend to reduce fat while losing weight and increase fibrous carbs and starches like potatoes (very filling for me vs fats). Generally, higher levels of protein are beneficial to maintaining muscle mass. And in most cases, eat .6g-.8g per lb of weight.