When to stop bulking and start cutting?

Options
I've attached front, side and back photos - unflexed and flexed. Currently I'm 120 lbs, 5'4", and ~20% BF. I've been bulking, but when should I start cutting a little? My core is very strong and I can feel that my abs are quite developed, so I'm really looking forward to when I'll be able to see them more once I cut. But I also really want to add significantly more gains in my butt and legs.

jfquv4f507sb.jpeg
ubeu3lo8p2oe.jpeg
s8w6nsqndlx7.jpeg
lhxtx9ofy2l0.jpeg
oon5aq9yn0n1.jpeg
97dwo7rj1jby.jpeg

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is this another one of those threads where we give advice and then you come back and tell us the right answer?
  • gymrat04mf
    gymrat04mf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Is this another one of those threads where we give advice and then you come back and tell us the right answer?

This thread specifically asks for advice. My last thread asked for guesses just for fun, but nobody gave me advice there. If you don't have any to kindly give, please don't bother commenting.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Ok, I'm LOLing at this ^^

OP: the highest I'd go would be about 27% and that's probably pushing it. Ultimately you need to balance out how you feel about your body, your tolerance for body-fat gain, how easily you get lean, and your overall goals.

Ideally you don't want to get "too fat" to avoid potential negative effects on nutrient partitioning not to mention setting yourself up for a longer dieting phase.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html/
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I would push bulking up to 25% body fat percentage if your are comfortable with your aesthetics. That would put you in the neighborhood of 144 lbs with a projected lean mass of 108 from 96 lbs and fat mass of 24 to 36 lbs - depending of course if your genetics allows for an even partitioning, how much lean mass you have already gained, and your training dose vs outcome has been on point.

What were your baseline stats pre-bulk? You look great, btw.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have a general idea of where I want to be weight wise before I start a cut or bulk but ultimately I end a bulk when I think I look too fat. I end a cut when I look too skinny.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I say whatever you are comfortable with and how long you want the cut to last. If you have plans for the beach or pool then probably not a good time to bulk.

Just make sure that you are lifting in a structured way and truly bulking. Too easy to just eat more and not lift enough.

Good luck and happy bulking.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bulk until you can't stand looking at yourself, cut until you are happy with yourself again.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'd recomp if I were you. But I hate bulk/cut cycling.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Bulk until you can't stand looking at yourself, cut until you are happy with yourself again.

Pretty much that.

There is no 1 right answer to this question.

Bulk until it takes you too far away from where you want to be (too much body fat).
    Cut until it takes you too far from where you want to be (i.e. too thin/lean or too low energy for your workouts, that kind of thing)
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Given that you said you want to add significantly more gains in your legs and butt, I would probably continue to bulk. Then do exactly what everyone else said and cut if you start to get too far from where you are comfortable.
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'd cut now and then do a clean bulk so your gains show more... just my 2 cents.