Organ meat vs Muscle meat

Options
2»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Chicken and beef livers are sold in grocery stores.

What's the nutrition like on these?? I've seen and tried chicken hearts. How's an easy/ simple way to prepare while still tasting good?

Ridiculous.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/3468/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/666/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/pork-products/2195/2
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Liver, bacon, onion, mashed potato - heavenly combination!

Steak & kidney pie (a.k.a. Kate & Sidney pie in our household) was one of my Mum's staple meals.

Chicken liver pâté on toast or French bread - yum.

Haggis of course contains offal.

Not keen on some of the more unusual bits & pieces, never tried tripe for example and don't think I ever will.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

This ^^
    Plus other organs are usually included if you buy a whole chicken or turkey.

My husband likes organ meat including the heart and liver of deer ::sick::. I'm not a fan of any organ meat except tongue. I love tongue.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

This ^^
    Plus other organs are usually included if you buy a whole chicken or turkey.

My husband likes organ meat including the heart and liver of deer ::sick::. I'm not a fan of any organ meat except tongue. I love tongue.

8be.gif
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Liver, bacon, onion, mashed potato - heavenly combination!

Steak & kidney pie (a.k.a. Kate & Sidney pie in our household) was one of my Mum's staple meals.

Chicken liver pâté on toast or French bread - yum.

Haggis of course contains offal.

Not keen on some of the more unusual bits & pieces, never tried tripe for example and don't think I ever will.

Whaaaat? You've never had menudo? You are missing out, my friend.
  • Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Tripe is ok, used to eat chicken hearts, don't any more. Properly prepared calves liver, foie gras, beef bone marrow and ox tail are my favorites (very judicial use of the word organ...). If you have an immersion circulator or sous vide set up, liver can be phenomenal. Most of that coppery taste is because it is over cooked. Sous vide solves that.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have started making my own liver paté. Very nutritious.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i used to shoot frozen chicken livers and chase it with pineapple juice. down the hatch! My whole foods gets 90% of their chicken from a farm thats local so they also get the hearts/livers ect.

hardcore
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Turkey hearts are tasty, the best part of a turkey. I used to eat braunschweiger and liverwurst.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i used to shoot frozen chicken livers and chase it with pineapple juice. down the hatch! My whole foods gets 90% of their chicken from a farm thats local so they also get the hearts/livers ect.

hardcore

not a fan of the metal is taste so it was easier for me then to cook it and chew on it haha. Ive taken shots of grosser things in my life (sambuca YUCK).. at least livers have nutritional value haha.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Chicken and turkey hearts are good. I've only ever had them when cooking a whole bird so it's not something I eat on a regular basis. I see little containers of them in the store, as well as beef liver. I don't make any of that kind of stuff. It would go over like a lead balloon in my house.