Anybody have a gym membership to planet fitness?

Options
How do you like it? I know they got a lot of flack for serving pizza once a month, but from what I've heard from actual people they seem to like it. Two new planet fitness opened in my area and a monthly membership was only $10 so I joined. The gym opens sometime next month. Am pretty excited

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Heh, no.

Just don't go there with the intention of doing any serious weight training, and you should be fine.
  • briannarios60
    briannarios60 Posts: 237 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    {}
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I kept a planet fitness membership as a second gym membership for a long time since it's so cheap (though I don't have an membership anymore). It wouldn't personally meet my needs as an only gym since the free weights are super limited and the rules are too restrictive but it was good for cardio for me when the weather was too nasty to run outside. I'm glad to hear you're excited for it! Try it out for a while and you can always move on to a different gym when you outgrow PF.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Nope, I pay the same amount for actual bars and racks at Retro Fitness.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to use it for. It's fine for cardio equipment and if you want to use primarily machines for resistance training...but don't expect to be able to do any serious lifting as many traditional movements aren't allowed because they for whatever reason make people uncomfortable...no Oly lifting, no deadlifting, no squats at many locations, etc.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Same as @keladelphia, I use it as a secondary gym option closer to my apartment. It actually has more cardio equipment than my primary gym but I like classes and some of the other options at my other gym.

For the price, it's worth it even if I only get there a few times a month.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My goal in mind is: use this as a starter gym. Lose a little more weight, get more fit. When I'm used to working out and making it a part of my daily habit and I'm ready to move onto the next level, join another gym
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I mean for freaking $10, it's the price of my Netflix membership. I wouldn't even notice that money gone from my account lol
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I've been totally happy with them. I just avoid the pizza and such lol.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it will work perfectly for what you are wanting to use it for then, especially at that price point.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've just recently switched from PF to Anytime Fitness. I was simply ready to have more options for strength training and classes. As a place to start out, or get in extra cardio it's great. Enjoy!
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Depends on your actual fitness goals. To serious and educated fitness people, PF is a long-running joke. To very casual gym-goers or the type of guys who do curls in the squat rack it's fine. It also depends on the type of workouts. If it's your only access to cardiovascular equipment it's not terrible.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    depends on what you want/ need.

for me, its great and i love it.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It worked great for me when I was a member a couple of years ago. I joined during their $99 (no extra fees either) for a year at New Years when a new one opened up near work.

I found it very clean (brand new, so it better be!) and very cardio focused. During Wisconsin winters I prefer indoor treadmill running to dodging ice patches and potholes, so cardio is OK with me. I stopped using it that May and only went back twice in October. We were joining the Y as a family to get pool access and organized classes, so I didn't need PF anymore and I didn't renew my membership when the year ended.

Personally, I felt comfortable, enjoyed the treats (I only went in the early mornings, so I got bagels!), had headphones on so I never had to listen to whatever was going on with the music and announcements, and would probably still be a member in the winter if I was single or we didn't have the Y.