I'm Anemic and trying to lose weight

Options
Hello everyone, I'm Betty and I just joined. I've recently started my weight loss journey and have found out that I have iron deficiency anemia.Anyone have any suggestions on how to continue to lose weight without worsening my condition? Any iron packed healthy recipes I should try? Any and all info/support is appreciated.

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I just found out today that Shreddies have a boatload of iron! Like a serving and a half with half a cup of milk gave me more than half the days iron! (thought I'd give you one answer that wasn't spinach ;) )Good luck.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have iron deficiency anemia for a long time now I just eat what I like and don't worry about it. My Doctor doesn't seem to worry about it and I've lost over 100lbs since August 2015 and it hasn't changed. If you need to you can always take and iron pill
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I just found out today that Shreddies have a boatload of iron! Like a serving and a half with half a cup of milk gave me more than half the days iron! (thought I'd give you one answer that wasn't spinach ;) )Good luck.

You might try Wheat Chex. 80% iron per serving without milk.
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses is high in iron - you can put a Tablespoon or two into a glass of milk or water, warm or cold. Dark greens are good for iron, I think. Also, consider dehydrating animal's liver and encapsulating it for super rich iron pills. The way I'd do it: buy animal liver (chicken, lamb, beef, whatever you can find) and puree it uncooked in a food processor. Pour it onto dehydrator sheets and dry it, then grind it up again once dried. Spend $10-$15 on Amazon for a cheap capsule machine and turn the powered liver into capsules you can take daily. It's cheaper than buying bottles of liver pills and you know exactly what you're getting. Good luck!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Maybe one of these?

http://www.luckyironfish.com/
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I have iron deficiency as well, and what I've found to help a lot is, if you take ferrous sulfate, take it an hour before meals with some Vitamin C. Avoid eating other mineral-rich foods [like dairy foods] when you eat iron-rich foods, and avoid drinking tea with them as well. Heavy amounts of calcium can block absorption of iron, and chemicals in teas can bind to iron [which keeps the body from absorbing it].
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of cooking with cast iron?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yay! A call-out for the lucky iron fish!

http://www.dietitians.ca/Your-Health/Nutrition-A-Z/Minerals/Food-Sources-of-Iron.aspx

I take my iron supplement first thing in the morning a good hour before breakfast, with a vitamin C. Another good time to take it is just before bed. Other foods can interfere with it's absorption.

If you are recovering from iron deficiency, you will likely have to take more than the daily RDA to reverse the deficiency.

If you pick foods with iron more often and watch your portions, there's no reason you can't lose weight while increasing your iron intake.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

You might try Wheat Chex. 80% iron per serving without milk.

I'm going to have to try those :)
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I second the cooking with iron skillets. You pick up additional iron from the cookware in food you were going to eat anyways.

Adding a multivitamin can help to, as many have iron in them (but don't cause as much GI upset as traditional iron supplements.)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I can only take one 387% of the RDA iron pill a day. When I was diagnosed my doc told me to increase. I got sick and missed two days of work. Iron from meat is best absorbed by the body, and I get most of mine from non-meat sources. I'm not a vegetarian, it's just the way I usually eat. I try to eat at least one burger a week. Iron-enriched grains and cereals can help. Just please pay attention to how much you're getting. Ask your doctor for a ceiling--that really helped me. Taking iron with vitamin C and not with any calcium (they compete for absorption) can also help get you more bang for the buck.

My iron serum is shockingly low, was 8% at my last test, but my TBI has moved barely into the normal range. Ferritin is still a little below normal. I get tested again next month.

I feel pretty good, though. All my other numbers are good (Vitamin D, B Vitamins). I just don't know why the iron supplements aren't making a difference. :neutral: my doc said after the next test, if I'm still low, she'll refer me to a Gastroenterologist to make sure I don't have any internal bleeding. I had some gynecological surgery years ago so no TOM for me--that's not a reason. If you're a heavy bleeder, that could contribute.

Maybe write down some questions and go back and visit the doc. Maybe a referral to a dietician? Having the food diary helped my doc see what I was doing, food wise. And exercise-wise.

You'll get through this!!! :blush:

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Eat beef and drink orange juice with it.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I love Spinach salads. I just get about 80-100g of Spinach, 80g of grape tomatoes, 28g of shredded cheese, and 4-5 tbsp of light zesty italian dressing (30 cal per 2 tbsp and sooo yummy)
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Looooong time anemic here. The body doesn't absorb plant based iron well (the oxalic acid binds it making it harder to absorb, it's also a type of iron that is harder for the body to use), so meat and supplements are going to be more helpful. There was a prescription pill that was gentler on the stomach than some of the over the counter ferrous sulfate pills - but it was not covered by my insurance at the time and was rather expensive, so I learned to somewhat deal with the nausea. If you can take on an empty stomach (no food) with some citrus, that can help you absorb more. Mine was a never ending battle, so glad the cause of it all has now been alleviated (majorly heavy periods)

That being said... I used to ride century rides (100 mile bike rides) and many other physical activities when I was crazy low. Exercise can be done (I'd also been anemic so long I'd grown used to the tired and made it my norm) felt so much more amazing after my iron levels would rise some.

Work with your doctor on how to get your levels back up (I had to take the ferrous sulfate 2x a day every day for a couple months) and best of success to you.
  • pluthera
    pluthera Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was also diagnosed last week! Taking iron supplement and trying my best to eat iron rich foods. We can still lose weight, out diet has to be based on getting that iron though!
  • Betty0614
    Betty0614 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful advice and encouragement. I'll definitely be trying some of these out.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Everyone above has great suggestions. I'm a 'boarderline anemic' meaning my count never drops dangerously low, but unless I'm actively trying to get iron, I'll drop lower.

Dark leafy greens, meat, lentils, are good dietary sources. I take a daily multivitamin as well, which is easier on my stomach than a solely iron supplement.