Why eat dessert?

Options
Or, more incisively, why eat sugary candies and desserts when there are healthier sweet treats, like fruit or yogurt? Traditionally, in places like Japan, dessert was for special occasions, or limited to some fruit. This means it isn't unnatural for a society to eat little to no sweets. There isn't any nutritional value in cakes, donuts, candies, etc., but there is in fruit, which tastes just as good, in my opinion. This means eating little to no dessert would effect our health in a neutral or positive way.

Which leads into the one main reason why I still currently eat desserts: social reasons. Almost everyone eats sweets, and they're much more heavily marketed than produce. But, why conform? Conformity may be instinctual, but that doesn't make it advantageous. Besides, vegetarians and vegans choose not to eat something that does, arguably, have nutritional value. So, choosing not to eat a nutritionally devoid food seems to make just as much, if not possibly more sense, from a health standpoint.

The other reason why people eat sweets is just because it tastes good and they've habitually eaten them for as long as they can remember. So it seems to come down to a choice between habit and temporary, superficial pleasure, and long-term health benefits and a different lifestyle. The latter seems more important to me, unless sweets bring someone genuine, lasting joy (which I totally respect!)

So, should I/you/we eat dessert? Under what conditions? Why? I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts you have, especially something from the opposing viewpoint. Please be respectful. Thanks so much!

P.S. I'm not sure if this is a mini essay or a rant. Oops. Sorry, I've spent a lot of time pondering this!

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! Sorry - it's just my taste buds! My daily sodium intake is atrocious, however, and I seriously need to work on that.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Why?
    Taste.
    Because i want to.
    etc.

Same. To me, fruit isn't dessert. Delicious, yes, but I prefer it with a meal or as a snack. But I budget some calories in my day for a bit of chocolate or ice cream. If I were to cut it out, I'd end up bingeing on something.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    There is no way I could eat fruit after a meal. The gas and discomfort would kill me. But cake or ice cream... Any time of the day is ok for that.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Well I am biased because I am a baker and I enjoy baking desserts because you are able to incorporate different flavors and textures into one bite. Desserts aren't just sugar-many other components go into them and often components you are eating somewhere else in your diet, so why not eat them if they are in combination?
    I made a cake that was 100% paleo for a bride 2 weeks ago. Sure it was high sugar, but the sugar was from honey and fruit.
    Also I don't believe fruit and yogurt are as good or satisfying as sweets. A lot of yogurts have a bunch of added sugar in them anyway and if it isn't as satisfying why would I bother?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with eating sweets, whether socially or by habit and long as you don't over eat them.

Personally, I don't care for sweets. I never eat birthday cake or wedding cake or whatever the event is simply due to my tastes. Eating something just because others traditionally eat it means nothing to me. I only pay attention to myself. Don't care what other people eat. Then again, my personal motto from a very young age was "never conform".

I am the same. I would rather something savory over sweets.

same, I'm all about a nice salad followed by a dessert T-bone
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Why?
    Taste.
    Because i want to.
    etc.

Same. To me, fruit isn't dessert. Delicious, yes, but I prefer it with a meal or as a snack. But I budget some calories in my day for a bit of chocolate or ice cream. If I were to cut it out, I'd end up bingeing on something.

+1 to both of these. For me, I prefer dessert as an ending to a meal. When I eat fruit last or it's the only thing I eat as a snack, I end up hungrier (similar to what plenty of people feel with "junk" foods aka "traditional" desserts). I plan desserts into my calories.

OP, you don't want to eat a "traditional" dessert, don't eat one. All I ask is you don't poop on me for eating a mini Baby Ruth.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's a French thing. I always had dessert when I grew up. Heck if you eat out in France they give you a square of chocolate with your coffee. When my family visits, they ALWAYS ask for something sweet after dinner. Often it was yogurt or pudding (so many kinds of puddings there. Gosh I miss it). But servings are smaller. In restaurants, desserts will be 300-400 calories tops... not those 1200 calories monstrosities that you find here.

If you ask me, in the US there is much less of a dessert culture than in France though! Lots of restaurants don't have dessert (in France even Asian restaurants do, here, not so much), it's almost never on their online menus (which irks me, actually), and more often than not when eating out with people, they don't order dessert (which totally baffles me, as it's the best part of the meal).

I totally agree that without dessert I would probably have been at my goal weight for a year, but what can you do... I'm a foodie. I get great pleasure from good food. A good meal will make my day better, and a bad meal will make my day worse. It is what it is... and I have a sweet tooth and, given the choice, would always pick something sweet versus something savory, so dessert makes me happy (unless it's not great dessert, then it makes me sad).

I guess in the end it comes down to taste though, I just can't for the life of me think of any French person who didn't love desserts.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Why?
    Taste.
    Because i want to.
    etc.

This exactly. Having a small sweet treat after dinner keeps me from freaking out and eating ALL THE FOODZ in the long run. I plan and budget my calories to allow around 300 calories of 'dessert' a day.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Maybe it's a French thing. I always had dessert when I grew up. Heck if you eat out in France they give you a square of chocolate with your coffee. When my family visits, they ALWAYS ask for something sweet after dinner. Often it was yogurt or pudding (so many kinds of puddings there. Gosh I miss it). But servings are smaller. In restaurants, desserts will be 300-400 calories tops... not those 1200 calories monstrosities that you find here.

If you ask me, in the US there is much less of a dessert culture than in France though! Lots of restaurants don't have dessert (in France even Asian restaurants do, here, not so much), it's almost never on their online menus (which irks me, actually), and more often than not when eating out with people, they don't order dessert (which totally baffles me, as it's the best part of the meal).

I totally agree that without dessert I would probably have been at my goal weight for a year, but what can you do... I'm a foodie. I get great pleasure from good food. A good meal will make my day better, and a bad meal will make my day worse. It is what it is... and I have a sweet tooth and, given the choice, would always pick something sweet versus something savory, so dessert makes me happy (unless it's not great dessert, then it makes me sad).

I guess in the end it comes down to taste though, I just can't for the life of me think of any French person who didn't love desserts.

Your post made me think of the brownie sundae from Kona Grill that I had for dinner Saturday night (for dinner. Yep.). It could have easily served four people. I ate it as my meal, shared some with my friend and still couldn't finish it. It was freaking delicious, though! :D
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Respectfully I would take a different view on just about all your points, sorry!

Japan has a particular culture and cuisine but there's also cultures where dessert and treats tend to be very sweet - India for example.

I wouldn't say dessert is nutritionally "devoid" just because it's sweet - different macros/micros but not devoid. If you log the cakes and donuts you will see protein, fat and carbs.

Having said that I rarely eat sweet desserts, purely because I tend to prefer savoury to sweet - maybe that's my personal non-conformity? My two favourite courses in a restaurant will always be starter and main course. At home dessert of any kind is a rarity, more likely as part of a social meal or special event.

One of my favourite desserts is a really good fruit salad but there's also times a great homemade apple crumble and custard hits the pleasure spot. Ditto ice cream or a good cheesecake. I don't see pleasure as being fleeting and superficial, I enjoy all the varied food I eat, possibly with the exception of "race fuel" when I'm cycling long distance.

As regards health I look as my diet as a whole not a collection of individual components that all have to be perfect.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    'Traditionally' is such a loaded word but I have never eaten as much sugar in my life as the fortnight I spent in Japan. Yes I ate local, Yes I travelled with a resident, but by god they don't have any sort of unsweetened drink. Their 'bitter' coffee has a 2/5 sugar scale, and just everything is so much sweeter than in the UK.

I don't really like fruit, only berries, and most yoghurt makes me gag. I eat pudding (as I'm English) occasionally and enjoy it. The people around you make life worth living and it's great fun to share something special with them. Sugar is sugar, if it comes from a bee, an apple, or chocolate. But that's just what I think.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    vsauder729 wrote: »
    So, should I/you/we eat dessert? Under what conditions? Why? I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts you have, especially something from the opposing viewpoint. Please be respectful. Thanks so much!

P.S. I'm not sure if this is a mini essay or a rant. Oops. Sorry, I've spent a lot of time pondering this!

I didn't grow up eating dessert every day. I still don't eat it every day. I don't have a massive sweet tooth. I have never felt I had to eat dessert to fit in. If I want cake or pie I eat it though. If I want plain fruit I eat that but I don't consider plain fruit a dessert.
    For weight loss- if you want it make it fit your calorie goal.
    For nutrition- Use the bulk of your calories for nutritious foods. Then eat your dessert. You'll be okay.