Having trouble getting my left quad to fire during squats.

Options
After squat day, I can barely walk because my abductors are so sore. My right quad is far more developed and seems to be doing most of the work. (it's always nicely sore after squat day).
What do i do? this is clearly a recipe for disaster.

Replies

• Motorhead82
    Motorhead82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cant even really flext my left quad. I have never been injured so I dont know what the problem is.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Have you considered doing some unilateral training or movements that work both side3s? Maybe do Bulgarian split squats, leg extensions with one leg at a time, leg press with one leg at a time, lunges, etc..?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Time for single leg exercises for a while until you even it out. Single leg press, single leg extension, Bulgarian Split Squats
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    practice and focus. and when you aren't at the gym you can practice flexing your quad or any indiv muscles and when you are under the bar squeeze as hard as you can . it can take time to get that control.
    I actually dont focus on my quads when squatting, i focus on my glutes. My quads do kick in, but all my focus is on my glutes.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    After squat day, I can barely walk because my abductors are so sore. My right quad is far more developed and seems to be doing most of the work. (it's always nicely sore after squat day).
    What do i do?

Either hire a good trainer or a physical therapist to assess your form, or upload a video of yourself squatting and let the trainers here assess you. I wouldn't try to "fix" anything without a proper assessment. :+1:
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have to lunge every day to get my left quad, mainly VMO, to work. If I don't, I get knee pain.
    You can try a backward lunge putting all your weight onto the 'rear' leg. Also try wall squat calf raises. I use a thermaband to add some resistance. These two exercises have helped build my leg back up after surgery.