New Mommies, losing the belly and a whole lot more!

Options
Hello! I am a pretty new mommy, my baby girl Analeigh turned 3 months old yesterday, and I've got a lot of work to do! I'm looking for some ladies in a similar boat. We can hold each other accountable, have a weekly weigh in (Mondays?) and share tips, tricks, and vents from a moms point of view!
I was a member of my fitness pal before I got pregnant, lost 30lbs, was down to 220lbs. While she was in my belly I got up to 270lbs, and pretty quickly got down to 245 and stayed there. I am having trouble getting motivated. I have started and stopped several times now and its just not good enough. I keep falling into the convenience trap with food, and horrible to say using the baby as a sort of excuse against exercise (Not enough time, etc.)
I really need to do this, more for her than for me, as I want to give her a healthy mom who can keep up with her. Also I want to teach her to have a of a healthy relationship with food and exercise, something I have never really had.
My current short term goal is to get to 220lbs, my pre prego weight. Then I want to get below 200lbs, and ultimately to about 160lbs.
Anyone willing to join me, WELCOME!

Replies

• FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat after I had my first son. It took me 6 months to even find the motivation to start caring. But once I did, I felt great. By his 1st birthday I was at my pre-pregnancy weight. . . then I found out I was pregnant again. I gained over 40 pounds and ended up at my highest weight ever. Now my second child is 5 months old and I am already at that same pre-pregnancy weight and it feels great! The biggest challenge for me was making sure I cooked healthy meals for all of us. After that I made sure to MAKE time for working out. Luckily my gym has childcare so I take them there at least 3-4 times a week and both of them love it! You are more than welcome to friend me and we can motivate each other.
  • RedPogona
    RedPogona Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm a "new" mom as well! Not quite as new- my little boy turns 7 months in just over a week. I got a slow start to losing weight and getting back in shape after he was born via c-section because of some complications. I didn't exercise all pregnancy and wasn't allowed to until my son turned 3 months. I completely get what you're saying about doing it more for your child than yourself. I want to have energy and be happy with myself so I can enjoy my son's life with him and show him how to be healthy and happy. I got up to 195 during pregnancy from about 140, then dropped to 175, and after the complications with the c-section I was back up to 188-190...Ugh! I'm having a lot of trouble tracking the calories, especially if we eat out somewhere (also guilty of baby excuse- not enough time, convenience) and they don't have nutritional info. I also haven't had a healthy relationship with food and exercise... I have quite a history with what we'll call "inappropriate dieting". I was so excited when I saw your topic, because I'm in the same boat as you!
  • GroovyGrubworm
    Options
    Hi! I'm not a "new" mommy, but I had my youngest 18 months ago. My short term goal is to get under 200 pounds. Long term goal is to get between 150-180 (I was 180 before I had my oldest, But I know 150 would be a "healthier" weight for me).

Feel free to add me!
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My son just turned 1,so not exactly a new mom,but a newer one,feel free to add me
  • Laufitness
    Laufitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My baby is 10 months old. Feel free to add me
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Not a new mommy, but just wanted to say good luck! I've been there, and you can do it! Some days are going to be harder than the others, just gotta pick yourself up and keep at it. :)
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 14 months old, but I didn't start working out/caring until she was 8 months lol. She wasn't a great sleeper (still kind of hit or miss) so most days I was either napping with her or just too darn tired. I'm still nursing and seem to be stuck between 10 and 15 lbs above my prepregnancy weight, but I keep trying!
  • hs40200
    hs40200 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A new mommy here...It's been 3 months now..pregnancy weight was 151 and then dropped to 135 after giving birth..And now im back at 146 and it's just so depressing. Good thing I found this website...count me in..
  • ShannonPuentes
    ShannonPuentes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I am not exactly a new mommy...my "baby" is a five years old, beautiful little girl! I have yo-yo'd on my weight for years and I am completely sick that I have still not reached my pre-pregnancy weight. I didn't exactly have a smooth delivery and ended up having surgery a week after my daughter was born. Due to this surgery, I moved rather slowly for several months and couldn't work out to drop the extra weight. It took a while, but by the time I was back to full speed I had packed on an additional 30 lbs. Before my daughter was born I weighed 160 and wore a size 10. Now I am at 192 and somewhere between size's 14-16.

My closet is still full of all the clothes I used to wear and it's abundantly obvious that I can not do this on my own---I'd love to join your group if you don't mind adding me as a friend.

~Shannon :glasses:
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 month old - I joined MFP again (used it to shift the baby weight after my second son was born about 2.5 years ago :laugh: ) Please do feel free to add me, as you can see I have managed to get quite far, and I started about 3 months ago (when DD was 4 weeks). It totally can be done - I had 3 under 5 until last week and still manage to exercise - it ain't easy, but where there's a will there's a way!
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 14 months old, but I didn't start working out/caring until she was 8 months lol. She wasn't a great sleeper (still kind of hit or miss) so most days I was either napping with her or just too darn tired. I'm still nursing and seem to be stuck between 10 and 15 lbs above my prepregnancy weight, but I keep trying!

This. With both my boys. My 2 year old still randomly wakes up in the middle of the night and wakes up for the day between 5 and 6 am. And my 5 month old wakes up at least twice a night still. Usually around 1 am and 4 am. Then up for the day between 6 and 7am. I can't wait for the day I have to drag their butts out of bed!
  • MysterriGal
    MysterriGal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Glad to see some people interested! So, what is your plan? How do you plan on losing the weight? Is it workout videos at home during baby naps, or hard core gym time, or simply out with the stroller? I think for now I am going to do a walk with the stroller on any day that weather permits, as well I have some videos (Belly dancing, exercise ball workout, dance workout) that I plan on doing, probably every second day. I think I will join the gym after the summer, spend as much time outside now as possible. Also very important, I have to start eating naturally, lean proteins and fresh fruit and veg for most, if not all, meals. I felt so good doing that before.
    Oh, also, anyone who would like, please feel free to add me as a friend!
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    When I first started I couldn't work out at all as I had a c-section and was only 4 weeks post op. Happily I had breastfeeding cals and just watched what I ate the first 2 weeks. then for quite some time I just went out walking with the baby 3 times a week - 2 days where I only had her and one at the weekend when DH could watch the older 2.

About 4 weeks ago I dropped to only having Fris with just DD so that wasn't enough and I bought my first Jillian Michaels DVD (Banish fat boost metabolism) and I really rate this. I usually manage to do it while DS2 and DD are napping (at the same time happily!) or I confess I stick DS2 in front of the TV to do it - he is 2.5 now so the nap is getting rare! I have also started going walking one evening a week with a friend of mine - doesn't sound much more but I walk to hers and back as well as with her, so about 2 hours total AND I only have a very light tea, which is usually my main meal so it makes a huge difference. This change in exercise is what got the scales moving again as I had plateau'd for about a month. I have ordered 2 more JM DVDs (30 day shred and no more trouble zones) which will hopefully help me shake it up again.
  • hs40200
    hs40200 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started 30D shred today too..Glad I finally pushed myself to exercise. Breastfeeding helped but I don't think it help me that much because Im still gaining weight steadily. After I knew MFP, I am now counting my calories and I didnt know before It was really possible! It's hard to juggle time especially if you are working and a new mom, but nonetheless, no excuses...hehehe...How many times do you exercise in a week?
  • WildcatMom82
    Options
    I work out 3-4 times a week. I have a Stroller Strides membership good for one class a week, so we do that usually Wednesday or Saturday. The other days I just take the stroller out for a jog so I can use nap time as my "free" time. In the winter I workout while she naps. I have a treadmill so I either do that or a boot camp workout. Or Just Dance 2 on the Wii. I was going to get one of the Turbo Jam workouts for this winter, but I'm hoping to be pregnant again so I might hold off.

Adjusting my cals for nursing has been the hardest for me. If I didn't eat the extra my supply would drop to nothing, but I also wasn't losing. I ended up adding a lot more extra than I was originally comfortable with, but that's when I started losing, so I guess my body wanted more. Now she only nurses 2x a day average and I use the "minimal feedings" option, but that's still 200 cals and I almost feel like that's too much. This past week I've tried to come in around 100 below my calorie goal to see what happens.
  • MysterriGal
    MysterriGal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Just a quick weigh in, I am down to 240! 2lbs lost! Busy day today, still got to try and get my walk in. Hope everyone is doing well, and good luck to everyone!
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    In the same boat! My daughter was born 4/17, and I still have baby weight from my son - who is 2 and a half. :-P Feel free to add me!
  • Marie45
    Marie45 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 5 months old, so I think it's about time I did something about my baby weight!

Haven't been on this site since I got pregnant, 14 months ago, but it was great when I used it before.

My biggest problem is just motivating myself to eat well, rather than just grabbing what's nearest to hand. My daughter has just started solids though, so I'm planning on giving her bits of my meals soon which will force me to eat healthier. I want to set her a good example.
  • WildcatMom82
    Options
    My daughter is 5 months old, so I think it's about time I did something about my baby weight!

Haven't been on this site since I got pregnant, 14 months ago, but it was great when I used it before.

My biggest problem is just motivating myself to eat well, rather than just grabbing what's nearest to hand. My daughter has just started solids though, so I'm planning on giving her bits of my meals soon which will force me to eat healthier. I want to set her a good example.
    That was really a turning point for me, too. We did baby-led weaning and totally skipped purees. When your 6-7 month old is asking to share what you're eating it drastically changes your food choices! We eat so much better now.