Finding weekends HARD....

Options
lalapat89
lalapat89 Posts: 2 Member
Hi guys an girls :)

My partner is always working at the weekend leaving me alone alllll day an most of the night. I seem to just inhale food when im on my own an even though i know i shouldnt it just happens an makes it all ok. I would love some motivating friends so that i can see what all you guys do at the weekend just go give me some inspiration an motivation. I also struggle to come up with good large portion low calorie meals....any ideas?!?! Oooh god lets be honest im just strugglig with it all....im going to vegas in august an really want to have atleast lost a few pounds without losing one week an gaining them back the next!!

HEEEEEEEEEEELP xx

Replies

• KECrawford71
    KECrawford71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Weekends are harder for me because there is less structure. There was a good article on here yesterday on using HALT when eating. Are you Hungry, Angry, Lonesome, or Tired. It's in the blog area if you are interested.
  • bscmcse
    bscmcse Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    On Saturdays, I have a routine. Egg beaters & low cal toast for breakfast, get to the gym and do a long cardio burn ~1hr. Stop on the way home and get a egg white & turkey wrap at Firstwatch (sometimes with oatmeal). Then I'm good until dinner time. I've burned more than I've eaten and have an entire day's worth of calories left, but try my best in the evening. Sundays are looser, but I try to stick with foods that are easy to log. My weekends are far from perfect, but that is how I try to mitigate disaster. Maybe try pre-loggin for the weekends to help you keep better on track. Best of luck.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Weekends are typically harder because they are less structured... ie off from work and most other things that required scheduling. Try to limit the amount of food you have in the house on the weekends. It is ok to just go crazy one day of the 2 but that could help some. Works for me anyhow.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Weekends are tough for a lot of people. I've had similar issues with appearing to lose a couple pounds during the week, but then gaining over the weekend so that my weekly weigh-ins stay stable. For me, the killer is sitting on my couch. If I stay in bed and watch tv or read, it's easier to stay away from the snacks. Just a mental thing tied to that location, I'm more likely to wander into the kitchen and snack. Can you go out for walks by yourself or other ways to help change the mental cues that might make you more likely to snack?

It's not easy to find large portion, low calorie meals; it's about smaller portions and choosing foods that will keep you full longer (emphasis on protein, fat and fiber). Chicken, white fish, shellfish tend to be fairly low calorie for decent portions. It's not for everyone, but you may look into intermittent fasting (there's a group with a lot of good information on various iterations). You still generally need to count calories and the fasting period can be mentally challenging starting out, but some people find it easier because by skipping 1-2 meals, the one or two meals they do eat get to be larger and feel more satiating. Again, not for everyone and you need to do your research, but eating larger meals is one of the things a lot of people like (yes, I do IF).

If possible, you can also look at trying to eat at a little more deficit during the week (leave 100-200 calories) so that you have some extra calories to splurge over the weekend.

In general, make sure you're not setting too much of a deficit. If you're always hungry and constantly thinking about food, it's probably not going to be sustainable. You want to find something that will let you lose at a slow, somewhat steady rate (although I've noticed for myself and reading others experiences that women in particular tend to have cycles where you stay stable for a few weeks or maybe lose only a pound over a few weeks, but then see a "whoosh" when you drop 3-4 lbs in one week); make sure you're mapping over at least 1 month, 2 is better, to get the best perspective on whether a plan is working. Remember it's a lifestyle change rather than a "diet"; think long term. Measurements and pictures are also good ways to track progress; sometimes they will show you changes that don't show up on the scale. Good luck.
  • becki739
    becki739 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work every other weekend. And i have such a problem on the weekends i dont work. I cant stuff it in my face fast enough. I try to stay busy on those weekends and write everything i eat down. It doesnt always work.
  • lalapat89
    lalapat89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi guys i hope this reply goes out to you all lol. The weekends are usually my cleaning an shopping time. Im fine in the day it just the nights when you're watching a movie or something. But when i go shopping this week im going to try an buy alot of things that are low calorie so if i do snack i know it wont be as bad ill.just have to limit myself. I am deff going to look up some of those articles an plans you guys have mentioned realistically everything helps a little bit even if we only take one thing from it. Im try to get my other half in on this aswell and as a big meat eater who only likes peas for veggies im struggling lol but thanks for all your replies so far feel free to add me guys. I sadly love to get food ideas from other peoples diaries :smile: :smile: xx
  • jackiechenery62
    jackiechenery62 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We do as well!! Just try to be extra good in the week so we can have a treat at weekends
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Most of us find weekends hard, I bank my calories so I have plenty for the weekend but I also keep as active as possible every day which helps too.
    Try and find something to do to keep your mind off food, keeping busy really helps.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    lalapat89 wrote: »
    My partner is always working at the weekend leaving me alone alllll day an most of the night.

Get out and exercise. Go to the gym. Go for a long walk or run or bicycle ride. Burn some extra calories so that you can eat a bit more.

If you're at home watching movies in the evening ... get a treadmill or put your bicycle on a trainer and workout while watching instead of sitting and watching.

Take up a hobby ... do something while watching TV. Maybe painting, adult colouring books, knitting, or whatever you like.

Personally, I love weekends because I exercise a lot ... which allows me to eat more than usual. :)

• inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I used to be the same.
    Spend time cooking something really special for yourself, go shopping, spend time prepping.
    If you tend to go for unhealthy things on the weekend, make healthy versions of that food.#

I love to spend at least an hour prepping and cooking something I really love.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    inezbruce wrote: »
    I used to be the same.
    Spend time cooking something really special for yourself, go shopping, spend time prepping.
    If you tend to go for unhealthy things on the weekend, make healthy versions of that food.#

I love to spend at least an hour prepping and cooking something I really love.

Yes!

If I have a weekend with some extra time, I put together a slow cooker meal big enough for a couple days. Mainly chicken and veggies and spices ... but they take a bit of prep time, cutting, browning the meat, etc. etc.

• SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with the lack of structure on weekends. I make myself an eating schedule at the beginning of the day -- 10 AM Breakfast: Groatmeal with almonds. 12:30 tea with cream. And so on -- and include saving up calories snacks for the evening when it is extra hard! Then when I get hungry or tempted to indulge outside of the plan I made for myself, I can tell myself something like "it sucks to be hungry but you can get through it. You are not going to starve to death. You can wait until 3:00 when you get to eat an apple" -- I know it sounds a little weird, but it really works for me.
  • tomk8
    tomk8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Weekends are really hard. I feel you! I always try to remember that 3/7 days of a weekend is almost half!! You got this!