Anyone Else into Probiotics?

Sunshine_Girlie
Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
edited 7:59AM in Food and Nutrition
I have been eating two servings of Greek yogurt for the past couple of months, but as of today, I purchased some probiotics from the Vitamin Shoppe. I've decided to not eat the yogurt and just take the capsule since each one contains 13 billion organisms. Just curious as to if anyone else is taking them and if you have experienced any changes. I don't have a digestive problem, but I have heard that it helps with acid reflux and other stomach related problems.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-2164 <-- Link to the item I purchased.

Replies

• hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    I take one tablet daily..but I do it for stomach reasons I had my gallbladder out 5 years ago and I have a really hard time with digesting my food..:)
  • pattycake118
    pattycake118 Posts: 44 Member
    Don't forget to keep them in the fridge, or all those bacterial cultures will die and be useless. I used to take them for digestion but now take digestive enzymes right before eating something that I expect will upset my stomach.

I find that with yogurt or the pills that if I don't eat them there are certain foods that I can't eat because they just make me feel sick, and I get sick more often.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Don't forget to keep them in the fridge, or all those bacterial cultures will die and be useless.

Oh, yes. The lady at the store was sure to remind me as well.

I wasn't sure if anyone else encountered noticeable changes right away. Not sure if it correlates with the capsule, but I have gone to the bathroom a couple of additional times tonight. Maybe my body is trying to adjust to it?
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    I started taking them when my doctor gave me antibiotics. She suggested that every time I take a course of antibiotics, I should take probiotics to keep everything functioning right. Just because the medicine kills everything, good and bad.

I decided to take them when I began weight loss because my fiber intake is very high. I do not have any digestive problems or any stomach health issues, but I wanted to see if it would help me digest all the fiber I eat.

It is hard to say if it helps, but I know that I stay very regular. And I have had two occasions when I ran out for about a week. During each of those times, I lost very little weight. As soon as I started agaain, the weight came right off.

I do not keep them in the fridge. I never even considered it since they are sold on the shelf and are not refrigerated anywhere in the supply chain. I suppose it wouldn't hurt but I don't think it's necessary.
  • shortney
    shortney Posts: 1
    YES! Those are fantastic for your digestive system. I take probiotics and plant enzymes. I used to have acid reflux daily, to the point where I got a swollen stomach and ever since I have been taking probiotics and plant enzymes, that has disappeared. Do you ever get a bloated stomach? It could be the result of too much yeast in your body (candiditis) and the probiotics will help that as well. They also fight the common cold and flu, I love this article from Natural News. Its fantastic. Good luck on your road to healing!
This discussion has been closed.