Beginner runner needs help

Options
Ok so I am a beginner runner.
I started with a 3k run last week just to know where I am at. I went for my fourth run today and tried to increase the distance this time, I went for 3,5Km.

The thing is. I am slow. So slow you could walk by my side. I am overweight which probably doesn't help me with my speed. I have a pace of about 8:30min/km (13:41/miles).

So as a beginner. Should I be working on increasing the distance, or should I at least work on getting faster to at least 7:30min/km (12min/miles) and than increase the distance?

Most beginner running plans talk about intervals of running/walking. They say its for people who can't run 3k continuously. Is this what I should do anyway? Like running faster for shorter distance, walk to recover a bit and run faster again?

I run about 3-4 times a week and I want to increase both my speed and my endurance.

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Couch to 5km? You can download the app and it will guide you through a gradual program. Many people on here have had great success with it.

Don't worry about your speed right now. Work on your endurance and the rest will come.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I second finding a couch to 5K program. Doing walk/run intervals with a well laid out program will help you to increase both at once.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Work on distance, the speed will come naturally.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Work on distance, the speed will come naturally.

This is what I've done. I did the C25K program. I could do 5k in about 40 minutes (I think it was 42 minutes the first time). Now that I can run 5k, I've been slowly increasing my speed. I was training on a treadmill and would increase my speed each week. Now that the weather is warmer, I'm running outside and my 5k time is about 32-33 minutes.

I started out at almost 240 lbs a year ago with C25K. Zombies, Run 5k is another great app that is a little less structured than C25k
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Work on distance, not speed. As you lose weight and get more fit your speed will improve naturally.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Distance first. Speed later.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Speed doesn't really matter unless you want to be a sprinter or enter (and win) races. Go for the endurance, at least for now.
  • H4ppyB1rd
    H4ppyB1rd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd work up to a 5k first with run/walk intervals and then work on speed later. I've found my running form and cadence are better (closer to the recommended 180 beats per minute) with run/walk leading to less injuries. I'd recommend looking into the Jeff Galloway 5k app or book or website. It might be a little better suited to be enjoyable at your level than C25k.

After your first 5k, you can improve speed by running quarter mile intervals just a hair faster than your next 5k goal pace or doing hill workouts. From what I've read and experienced, a good aim is 3-5% improvement in 3 months with this method of speed training. You'll probably get a little faster even without speed training with time too.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    8:30min/km (13:41/mile) This is not that slow for a BEGINNER and one self-described as overweight. I'm half way through C25K and my combined run/walk intervals seem to be slower than just straight walking!! Just keep working on distance and they say the speed will improve. Yes, run/walk intervals are perfect!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you like best. The important thing is to stick with it. If you keep it fun, and keep running, you'll get better. It comes pretty fast and it definitely is worth it!
    I too think a 8:30-min/mile sounds really good for a beginner!
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I will also recommend C25K, its a great program. My advice is slightly different from the others, I say work on duration, speed AND distance will come. Ill bet that most mean the same though.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    8:30min/km (13:41/mile) This is not that slow for a BEGINNER and one self-described as overweight. I'm half way through C25K and my combined run/walk intervals seem to be slower than just straight walking!! Just keep working on distance and they say the speed will improve. Yes, run/walk intervals are perfect!

^This is me. I think I can walk faster than run sometimes but I am focusing on completing distance over speed at this time. Some powerwalking grannies passed me on the road the other day >.< But you know what? I don't really care because I am so much better off now then where I started (last week I ran for 2 hours straight- what? Crazy considering last summer it hurt to walk 1 mile hehe). Plus, they were very nice and waved at me :)

You keep working at it and you will get there. Good luck! :)
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    MyPathway wrote: »
    The thing is. I am slow. So slow you could walk by my side. I am overweight which probably doesn't help me with my speed. I have a pace of about 8:30min/km (13:41/miles).
    You are already faster than about half the people in my running group. Work on whatever will bring you the biggest sense of accomplishment. (However, I predict that if you work on distance, with one day a week of speed work, both will increase nicely.)

• RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    So... where to begin? First off, It doesn't matter how fast you go, as long as you are out there doing it! Yay for you my friend! As a guy who started running at 325 lbs, I applaud anyone who gets out there!

Running is an individual sport with a strong social aspect. It is very rare that you will ever hear one runner out there criticizing another runner for running. Too many endorphins! We're all batcrap happy people and just happy you've decided to join our cult.

It doesn't matter how fast you go. Really! You will run the same 5K or 10K and get the same medal as everyone else on race day. When I first started running I was slower than a sloth running across a sheet of Velcro. It was painful... but do you know what? I persevered and I got faster... it just took time. The number I've heard is that the average person improves their pace about 1% per month of training. It doesn't sound like a lot, but over time it adds up! You will also improve your pace 2 seconds per mile for every pound you lose.

I've coached beginning runners for several years now... I coach for the Running Room chain. I have helped hundreds of people to personal bests in 5K, 10K and Half Marathon distances... The formula I use is to always work on distance\time first. If the plan is to run a 5K... then consistently work on running 5K. Speed will come once you have built up your base distance (its kind of like building a house... you always start with the foundation!) Run one slightly longer run per week at a slower pace (add approximately10% per week for distance i.e. if you run 10 Km this week, you get to run 11 Km next week... its the 10% rule and it prevents injuries which can derail your training).

I am a big supporter of programs that use walk\run intervals. I actually am using the C25K program myself right now as I am recovering from a serious Achilles injury that laid me off running for 6 months. Prior to my injury, I used a 10 minute run\1 minute walk interval for my last marathon and used the walk break for hydration\nutritional supplements. It wasn't quite a personal best, but I walked out of the race feeling fantastic.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I am quite passionate about running and enjoy helping others.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Traditionally recommended to work on distance first rather than speed. Right now you want to build a base, make this a habit, and not get injured. Speed will come naturally as you run more and as you increase your distance.

Check out Couch to 5k or Hal Higdon's 5k beginner plan. Never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%. Stick to 3x a week of running with a mandatory rest day in between. When you can run 5k you can add a 4th day. Don't do any speedwork until you can run a 5k.

I agree 13:41 is not slow, especially for someone that just started. You'll get faster at first just by making this habit. Then as you increase your distance, you'll find yourself faster at the shorter distances. And as you lose weight, that will help too.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Echoing those that said to build your distance then the speed will come.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I myself am pretty much a newbie, but have a little bit of experience under my belt. I agree with everyone else. Distance/endurance over speed. I signed up for a half marathon with 9 months to train, starting weight of 205. Well, I just could not get it together and the clock was ticking. Finally, 3 months before the race, I started with a distance of 5K and I just started it with about 90% walking, 10% running. I just did what I could and stuck with a beginner 3 month training schedule for a beginner, but I always ran by 'feel'. I never got to a point of 100% running, but I did get to a point of about 80% running, 20% walking. I got really sick at about a month before the race and was sidelined for 2 weeks. By the time I started training again I was really weak. Since the longest I had run/walked during training was 8 miles, I was still 5 miles aways from the 13 miles I would need to train and only had a few weeks left. Instead of doing a long run two weekends before, I went on a really hilly long hike for 4 and a half hours, and ended up doing a bit of trail running. It was the best thing I could have done because it pushed my body past the 4 hour max time to do the half marathon in. I was also super sore from that hike/run and it took my 5 days to fully recover from it, but I came out so much stronger because of it. In the end, my half marathon ended up being 3:01, or a 13:39 minute miles. Not great, but better than that couch I was sitting on 3 months prior. My weight on race day was 185. That was about 3 weeks ago. My current weight is 177 and since returning from that trip, I've started again at the beginning of my half marathon training program and am now able to run 6 miles without walking, at a 12 minute mile. Still 'slow' but I honestly am thrilled with it. My 'bad' runs have been 12:30 minute miles, still better than where I started. My goal is to increase each week by a mile, maintaining that pace. As the weight comes down, and my distance grows, I'm hoping that I just might get a little faster too. My next half is at the end of June. I'm really looking forward to seeing my new half marathon time. I think it's awesome that you've started running. It just feels good. Just do what you can, fast or slow. Keep building on your distance and don't worry about your time, it will come. I am so hooked on running now that I even had the most beautiful dream the other night that I had the most perfect run. I felt like I was flying, I've never felt so free. (I also dream about finding the perfect running shoes) You totally got this. The most important thing to know and remember is that you will get sick, you will get injured. (Especially if you overtrain or try to take on too much too fast like I did.) Take the time that you need to recover, and then get back out there. There were some days I was literally chanting to myself, "baby steps, baby steps" as I ran. I actually still do that when I'm having a 'bad' running day. ;) Good luck!
  • MyPathway
    MyPathway Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the good advice and support. I am learning a lot, and I really enjoy running. It is such a good sport, I really love the fact that you are competing against yourself, trying to improve your own performance. I registered for a 5k run in mid-august. Pretty sure I can get ready for a 5k by then.

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I agree - work on distance. Your speed will probably increase on its own as you get more endurance and it starts to feel better (it will, I promise!), and once you're regularly running a 5K, you can start working on speed if you want to.
  • alannacaveney
    alannacaveney Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I tried running at a pace of 8:30min/km when I first started my weight loss last December when I was nearer to 100kg (big mistake), and I could barely run for longer than a song at a time (3 mins and I was DYING - red faced, wheezing mess) so that pace for a beginner doing 3/3.5km straight is beyond amazing to me!

I stayed away from running for weight loss for so long as I never thought I could be a runner, since I'd always been heavy and that made it so uncomfortable and impossible to breathe, so I just walked instead - eventually adding in more HITT training and interval runs once I lost enough weight to be comfortable with hard cardio. Now I'm finally 25kg lighter than back then, I've started flirting with running again (literally a couple of weeks ago, and I ALWAYS did intervals instead of one constant run). I tried my first sustained run yesterday, and can pace at 7:30min/km for just over 2km, which I was pretty proud of as a first real run. I had to stop to drink water, and it was more mental than physical, so tonight I'm going to try an 8min/km pace instead and see if I can make it to 3km sustained, so you're inspiring to me :smiley: