75 lbs to lose. Worried about loose skin

Options
muhsina89
muhsina89 Posts: 24 Member
So i have around 75 lbs to loose and I want to know if that would cause loose skin. I am somewhere aroun 220 lbs right now . Anyone with the same weight who have lost around 75 lbs ? Can u share ur experience / photos/ tips . Wish me luck!

Replies

• ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I lost a 100lbs years ago ( I gained it all back plus some, pregnancy, leg injury and blood clots...anyways excuses) and I never had loose skin. I weight trained though! I am back at it and I am hoping for the same results!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    katherine_startrek_fan Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I think one of the biggest factors is time. If you plan to lose the weight over say 2 years vs. 1, your skin will be more likely to adjust well.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I think one of the biggest factors is time. If you plan to lose the weight over say 2 years vs. 1, your skin will be more likely to adjust well.

Skin can be pretty forgiving in the long run. Think of it this way: it took a long time for your skin to get where it is now no matter your weight, so it's going to take some time to get back to normal too. I've successfully eliminated roughly 163-164 pounds and I didn't even notice my skin getting noticeably loose until I'd dropped about 110 of that. I'm nearly at goal now and will be moving into maintenance and with that toning up shortly, which I expect will help some too.
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Lost 100 pounds at first my skin was loose but after a while it caught up. Fat will burn faster than skin will tighten, just be patient and give it time! Good luck!
  • muhsina89
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I am gonna stalk you until I loose all my weight
  • muhsina89
    Options
    Kindly share ur weight loss plan;)
  • wei11061317
    wei11061317 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Can I just ask, does age affect how quickly skin catches up ?

I'm 41 and 16 stone 3/4lb and need to be 8 stone 7 lb for might height.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds when I was in my twenties, in 8 months time and I did not have loose skin.

Of course I gained it all back, then lost it again in my mid-thirties, and my skin was fine.

Now I am in my 60's and I have lost about 58 pounds, losing it slowly - and my skin has not bounced back the way it did when I was younger. It's not horrible, but it is loose and wrinkly in spots. People my age say weight training and losing it slowly helps, so perhaps that's why it isn't so bad. Yet. I have a ways to go to get to my goal.

Message here: lose it while you are young and keep it off. That will be good for your skin, and for your general health. Not easy to do but, if you can keep it off and live a slim life... well, I wish I had done that.

Good luck!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I weighed as much as 235 and weigh 140 now (about 205 in the "before" picture). I don't have much loose skin, a bit on my abdomen and a bit on my upper inner thighs. I think it helped that I lost the weight slowly and strength trained the entire time. fsp1x21rvgcm.png
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is actually last october, but it hasn't changed much (if at all):

8q8v0tmetuq4.jpg
    And a little more recent:
    2qzoj1f3xsci.jpg
    htmstl8r59ue.jpg

I've had 2 csections and lost just over 130 lbs. I lost the weight fairly slowly and did weight lifting. I wasn't obese for very long, but for me loose skin was unavoidable.
  • wei11061317
    Options
    Thanks guys. Suppose might have to exercise.
  • ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was obese pretty much my entire life. I carried a lot of my weight in my upper legs. My highest weight was 280-ish, a little over two years ago. I'm now maintaining at 130-ish. I have very little loose skin on my stomach and arms. However, my breasts and thighs are a completely different story. With clothes on, the extra skin is unnoticeable; naked, my thighs and breasts depress me. So, I'm actually scheduled for thigh and breasts surgery in a little over a week.

I think loose skin really depends on how long you were overweight, how fast/slow you lost the weight, where you "carried" the weight, and genetics.

• wei11061317
    Options
    Hmmmmm.

I have a long way to go. I think if I attempt 1LB a week. It will take me approx 2+ years to get down to ideal.

But the temptation to lose it faster is great especially when events come up.

I have worked out my basal metabolic rate and its 1672 calories a day X 1.2 sedentary life style = 2006 cals a day to maintain my weight. Which I don't want to do, 2006 cals - 500 cals a day for a week should give me 1LB a week loss.

But the problem is 2006-500= 1506 calories a day which takes me under the BMR which I'm a bit worried about.

Hmmmm problems problems ....

But since 2 June lost 10LB
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ive been noticing loose skin on me. Doctor and I are pretty much getting the ball rolling because my insurance covers this. But to be accepted I have to keep the weight off for six months. No biggie since I have no plans on being that big again
  • wei11061317
    Options
    Good luck.

I hope it all works out for you Annabananas.

Might have to take it slow. I have very baggy tummy.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 100lbs and I also don't have loose skin problems yet, though it is my greatest fear.
  • wei11061317
    Options
    I'm 41, and have children and things aren't as tight as they could be. I donot want surgery, having had sections.

I'm sure you will be fine. Best of luck.