I was diagnosed with atherosclerosis.

I love body building and I have been doing great lately. The doctor surprised me today when he told me that I can't eat red meat chicken or even have protein shakes.

I usually consume 3600 calories a day and now I don't know what to do.

We are getting my heart checked buy for now what should I be eating to gain more mass and avoid loosing my muscles.

Should I continue the proton shakes or is there cholesterol free

Thanks in advanced

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    I would check with your doctor to check if it applies to all protein shakes. There are a wide variety of protein shakes. But whey is made out of dairy, so i'd be curious to understand the relation since it's not meat based.

You can start getting protein from plant based sources (nuts/legumes, seitan, tofu, etc..), which will also provide you with good amount of calories.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @anis316 from what I can read atherosclerosis is due mainly due to long term inflammation. As you can read below diet can make that better or worse. Extensive work outs over time can be a factor per some. Read up on different thoughts/methods of how to reverse atherosclerosis from around the world.

You are relatively young so time should be on your side by acting now. It is better that the doctor caught this at this point in life than after a stroke or heart attack. Best of success.

webmd.com/food-recipes/anti-inflammatory-diet-road-to-good-health?page=2
  • anis316
    anis316 Posts: 4 Member
    @anis316 from what I can read atherosclerosis is due mainly due to long term inflammation. As you can read below diet can make that better or worse. Extensive work outs over time can be a factor per some. Read up on different thoughts/methods of how to reverse atherosclerosis from around the world.

You are relatively young so time should be on your side by acting now. It is better that the doctor caught this at this point in life than after a stroke or heart attack. Best of success.

webmd.com/food-recipes/anti-inflammatory-diet-road-to-good-health?page=2

Thanks so much for your feed back and your time getting back to me. I will read more about it. I have stopped eating chicken meat and even salmon till I get more testing . I have been eating only vegitables and have lost a lot of weight which I am not happy about. Do you think if I drink protein shakes with 0 cholesterol . Would I be OK?
  • GaleHawkins
    Typical carbs are most inflammatory, protein so so and fats are not typically causing inflammation. That is why LCHF is such a life saver for some of us.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Typical carbs are most inflammatory, protein so so and fats are not typically causing inflammation. That is why LCHF is such a life saver for some of us.

This isn't exactly true. Carbs cause as much inflammation as saturated fats, omega 6's, and transfats do and it's not all carbs...high amounts of sugar, and refined carbs. Fruits, veggies, whole grains, and oats do not cause inflammation unless you have a disease that can be effected by one of those. Which is no different than having a seafood or nut allergy.

In fact, there are various suggestions in terms of diet. Some say plant based and others, like the NIH doesn't take it quite as far.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/heart/treat-and-prevent-atherosclerosis

NIH

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/atherosclerosis/treatment

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heart-healthy-lifestyle-changes/heart-healthy-eating
  • anis316
    anis316 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks a lot everyone
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 838 Member
    Check out the whey isolates - basically whey protein that has undergone an additional filtration step. The cholesterol and saturated fat is significantly lower in whey isolate than in 'ordinary' whey. Also, some of the lactose is removed so isolate tends to upset the stomach less in the lactose intolerant population segment.
  • GaleHawkins
    On this subject I was reading some materials that viewed atherosclerosis, cataracts and several other diseases are actually a form of scurvy or Vitamin C deficiency.

umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/vitamin-c-ascorbic-acid

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    @anis316, What you've posted suggests to me that your doctor is still convinced that dietary cholesterol causes serum cholesterol. That was believed to be so 60 years ago, but has recently been proven false. Please study this carefully. You may be in the hands of a quack.