The National Weight Control Registry - Share Secrets to Long-term Weight Maintenance

Options
Hi

I have been reading everyone's comments on their dieting issues and wanted to post something about the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR). The NWCR was established in 1994 by Rena Wing, Ph.D. from Brown Medical School, and James O. Hill, Ph.D. from the University of Colorado. It is the largest prospective investigation of long-term long-term weight maintenance. Given the prevailing belief that few individuals succeed at long-term weight loss, the NWCR was developed to identify and investigate the characteristics of individuals who have succeeded at long-term weight loss. The NWCR is tracking over 10,000 individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off for long periods of time. Detailed questionnaires and annual follow-up surveys are used to examine the behavioral and psychological characteristics of weight maintainers, as well as the strategies they use to maintaining their weight losses. Check out their website below:

What they have learned:

There is variety in how NWCR members keep the weight off. Most report continuing to maintain a low calorie, low fat diet and doing high levels of activity.

78% eat breakfast every day.
75% weigh themselves at least once a week.
62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week.
90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/published research.htm

Julie

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Unless they study both sides, I'm not sure how this will help.

I would bet that a lot of overweight people eat breakfast everyday. And that they weigh themselves at least once a week. They may even exercise for a while and watch only a little TV.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    This is a fascinating registry. Thank you for posting this link.
  • OlisMummy
    OlisMummy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Unless they study both sides, I'm not sure how this will help.

I would bet that a lot of overweight people eat breakfast everyday. And that they weigh themselves at least once a week. They may even exercise for a while and watch only a little TV.
    Please understand the purpose and methods of a project before you jump to criticize. I participate in this study. It is a long-term tracking study, not a double blind research study. They are tracking the habits of what maintainers do. If you want to be successful, study what successful people do and do the same thing.

Spot on
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't blindly mimic what successful people seem to do. Instead, emulate those habits and internalize those attitudes that work for you.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness some people really don't understand what a registry is. And of course people will decide what works for them.