I didn't gain it all overnight, why do I expect to lose it overnight?

Options
I have been tracking my food religiously for over two weeks now and am down my original two pounds from week one. I want this to go faster! I know that is unrealistic but it is really a snails pace at this point. I am definitely not starving myself this time around. I think I will give it a few more weeks to start seeing results. In meantime there is a holiday coming up and I will continue to track even if I slip up. Are you disappointed in your slow progress?

Replies

• __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I get disappointed every now and then. I've been at a plateau for three weeks and it's hard not to give up, especially after losing 20 lbs in two months. I keep reminding myself that if I keep it up I'll reach my goal by this time next year (I have 40-60lbs to lose, I'm not set on a goal weight yet).
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I was at first and then I realized that the process really goes into perpetuity...there is no finish line so why worry about rushing to something that doesn't exist. This helped me to focus on what was actually important...getting healthy, getting fit, nurturing healthy habits to take into maintenance, etc...rather than obsessing about some number on the scale. When you're good livin' everything else tends to fall into place. Do the things that lean, healthy, and fit people do and ultimately you will be lean, healthy, and fit.

It took me about 9 months to lose my weight, but that wasn't the end point...it's now almost four years later and I continue to progress in many ways and will continue to do so until the day I die. No finish line.

No finish line!! I'm using this!! TY
  • gwenelliott_
    gwenelliott_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel the same, my progress with weight loss has been slow. Yet it's motivating to notice my body slimming despite what the scale says or being able to use a weight I couldn't before. It just takes patience and time. :) you'll get to where you want.
  • meganmurray217
    meganmurray217 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It took me 9 months. It was slow but I loved seeing my body change & felt more confident month after month! I was obsessive at first about the scale. Then I stopped and started to love my body and the workouts I was doing. Which resulted in bigger weight loss than I thought i could do. Drastic diet and fast weight loss isn't long lasting. Do it the healthy way & you'll be happier in the long run!
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I weighed in today and up 2.5 lbs, I don't get discouraged because I know my belt size went down, I just re- evaluate progress and average monthly loss. Yes patience for sure :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's true, there is no end line. I have quite a lot to lose, I have been at this a year already but have taken breaks, gone up a little and am on the way back down again. It's all just an exercise in learning how to maintain this for the rest of my life. After a year I am a million miles from where I started, not just in pounds lost on the scale. Taking the focus away from just the weight and putting it onto a whole life change as a whole has really helped me just keep plodding on.

And when I get to goal, or close to goal, I'll be switching to recomp, so again, there is no finish line so there's no rush to get to something that doesn't exist.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It's not all about the scale. It's about cultivating eating habits, possibly exercise habits, that you can continue forever.

I would be starving if I went any lower on calories, so slow progress it is! My exercise mantra is "something is better than nothing" and that gets me off the couch (because nothing is what I did before and now I have 75 pounds to lose). I look at weigh-ins similarly. Like this week, I lost .2 pounds. I'm actually really happy! My weekly calorie average was a little up due to eating at my favorite restaurant last weekend so I knew my weight loss would slow a little. (But I enjoyed every bite, logged it all, and balanced it as best I could during the week.) AND I also increased my exercise, so I knew there was going to be some water retention. So .2 pounds really is fantastic.

My life is full of deadlines. I don't want to self impose one that will only make me miserable.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It's not about deadlines, our disappointment tends to tie to our expectation. If you spend so much effort, expect x amount of progress and you're not seeing it, you'd be disappointed, whether that plays out in weeks or months or years. Some people are overjoyed with .2 lb progress, some are frustrated even with 2 lbs.

Reassess your effort and adjust your expectation.