How much time passed before you...

Options
...told people about your journey?

I waited until about 5 months in when I lost the first 30 pounds. I felt comfortable and confident in my progress at that point and knew that opening up about it would keep me motivated.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I didn't say anything. People at the office like to sabotage others' diets with sweets, especially those who failed at their own diets and feel grumpy about others' weight loss. Only Husband and doctor knew.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Me too - I kept it quiet from everyone, including husband. I did not want anyone to have an opportunity to say "Should you be eating that?" (classic line from my mother, bless her). And surprise surprise, once they knew what I was up to (or down to!), lots of questions about how appropriate some of my food choices were.

Its been 8 months now, and they are just getting used to the difference. Lots of praise, lots of compliments, lots of "how did you do it?" (and I tell people straight up that I quit eating so much), its now the new normal, and everyone knows because they can see it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I told my husband before I even started. It's just the two of us now so we talk about everything. Others as/if it came up in conversation.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has involved weighing most of my food so I couldn't avoid telling all my friends and coworkers, and fending off bro-science and skepticism left and right hahaha.

Basically, first day people were asking me wtf I was doin.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I don't speak about my "journey" or goals with anyone.
  • JeffreyBurkhalter
    JeffreyBurkhalter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My wife was privy, but I didn't really say anything to anyone else. It was obvious though. I dropped about 40 lbs in 3 months. People notice that kind of thing.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I rarely talked about it. Wasn't really something I felt the need to share.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I really never told anyone but my husband and then eventually my kids (they are adults). I have admitted to people that I've lost weight and when they comment on it I will say I have been trying to lose. I don't really like to talk about it too much. I think just about everyone knows now that I've lost 55 pounds but I really only talk to them about it if they ask how I've done it. Most don't really believe it is through counting calories and they are convinced I've given things up.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I haven't talked to anyone about my weight loss efforts outside of my dh and dd. They know because we live together. It has been about 1 1/2 years since I started using MFP.
    I've actually been trying to lose weight for 15 years prior to that- sometimes succesfully, sometimes not. I've told people about the "journey" before. It is kind of embarrasing and boring to bring it up yet again so I have very little to say about it now even though I have had the most success with weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Depends who really. I told my mom pretty fast. I only mentioned it on FB after I lost 50 pounds (and maybe shouldn't have, I feel self conscious talking about it considering all the overweight people I know).
  • moodygnome
    moodygnome Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Told no one and then discovered a work colleague posting in the forums, so told him!
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I still don't talk about it unless asked, except with a couple of people and my husband - ie the people who did ask and are also now on their own MFP weight loss / fitness journeys. I find even when asked, telling people what I'm doing can provoke a weird negative or hostile reaction. People aren't necessarily supportive and say things you don't expect. So when asked, I tend to downplay and give a really simplistic answer ("eating less and tracking").