Anyone else an emotional eater/ drinker?

Options
MelindaBev
MelindaBev Posts: 11 Member
I find myself looking for food or liquor when I am upset. I know this is when I need to exercise, but I don't usually want to when I am like this :) Any tips?

Replies

• anitralahiri
    anitralahiri Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm happy, joyful, excited, stressed, worried ... My go-to is ice cream.

I haven't binged in a week and what has helped me is exercising a bit when I feel stressed (or breathing deeply), and committing to my health: my heart, my circulation, my weight, my children.

• pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Yes I do this but don't have any advice
  • HeavyHaulin16
    HeavyHaulin16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do that too.
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yes when I'm stressed or upset I want to eat, so I go shopping instead. :)
  • joelo_83
    joelo_83 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Happy = eat all the food
    Upset/stressed = zero appetite

Idk how to fix this tho
  • jaelynsmith
    jaelynsmith Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, completely. I do not have a healthy relationship with food. That is why I am here <3
  • lorylorybobory
    lorylorybobory Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm stressed out or upset but I've found I don't have any cravings or a need for a specific kind of food; eg. sweets. It's more the motion of eating that calms me down. So I try to always have cut up carrots on hand to binge on, especially at work.
  • rogermedic71
    rogermedic71 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find when I'm in a relaxed state I'm able to focus on eating clean and working out. I'm able to push myself through the hunger and the pain I have during some workouts. When I'm stressed and tired I sometimes just can't put up with it and give in. I've been off work injured for several weeks and find it much easier sticking to a diet routine. Not as easy working 70 hours a week and being up all night running EMS/Fire calls. Most people gain weight when they go off injured from inactivity. I've lost 20 lbs since my injury. Fortunately I've been able to work out my upper body at least.
  • RyanRox80
    RyanRox80 Posts: 136 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ejinvt wrote: »
    Yes, completely. I do not have a healthy relationship with food. That is why I am here <3

This right here ^ yep...
    @ejinvt

Ditto...
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Emotional drinker here :( When I get too stressed out all I can think about is needing a drink DX
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I snack when I'm bored at work..:(
  • xWondertje
    xWondertje Posts: 65 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've got issues with binge eating from emotional reasons. If I'm happy, I celebrate with food. If I'm sad, I comfort with food. My day and life revolves around when/where/how/what I can eat. I'm working hard on making myself view food as fuel for my body, and not the only friend that loves me. It's difficult but I'm working on it.
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't have emotions. I just drink bc I like the taste..and to forget about work!
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Me too. It sucks. I have been trying very hard to work through it and not give in. I don't have any solid tips for you though. It's really about distraction for me. Also, if I haven't already logged my food for the day, I'll log it and try to convince myself that I don't want to ruin my day just because I'm feeling anxious/stressed. That being said...last night I logged my food, had a good day, everything was on track. Then something stressful happened and before I knew it, I've got a margarita in one hand and a box of Honeynut cheerios in the other (not a good combo). So yeah. It's a never-ending battle for me. Good luck :)
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I used to drink anytime I felt stressed, emotional or bored but it just made things much worse for me.
    I would knock back so much booze until I was completely drunk, in a bit of a state really. I carried on this cycle until I realised it wasn't the answer, plus it was costing a lot of money.
    There is a really good app you can download called drinkaware, it tells you exactly how many units your actually drinking and how many calories and you can log your drinking kinda like how this app works, iv found it really good, and it educates you on booze as well so you can make changes even just small ones at the start.
    I got a fright at how many units I used to drink and the calories in alcohol.
    Alcohol is the only thing that doesn't tell you how many calories it contains on the label because they are so amazingly high
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've started to think of emotional eating as a smothering and distasteful habit that prevents me from doing more important things, a sign that I think my own life is trivial and boring. When I want to eat, and I'm not hungry, I find something more important to do.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I do this too....but I've gotten better..what helped me....was being a bit introspective....I had a diary/journal where I would write what I was feeling (before/as I was helping myself to binge eat/eat mindlessly.) I at least figured out the triggers - stress, boredom....and then developed some coping mechanisms to get thru it (i.e. seated yoga stretches, reading a book, calling my mom...anything to keep me out of the kitchen.) I work from home...so it's a big issue for me.