InstaHell

Options

Replies

• Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I actually love IG personally. I follow quite a few weight loss people on there and get a lot of motivation from them.
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I took issue with the exact part that @Keladelphia did. I'm 5'3" and I weigh 109 pounds, yet I'm willing to bet I eat more than you do OP.

It's assumed that if a woman is thin, her life is so awesome and she shouldn't have any complaints, worries, or problems at all and it's so far from the truth. These fitness models are human beings. Some of them are snake oil pushing human beings, yes, but they still have feelings. If you don't like seeing fit women or get intimidated or discouraged, just don't look. Aside from those who have had surgery, these women put time and effort into their bodies. Why should they be judged harshly for that? Why does it affect you so much?

I'm 6'2 and weigh over 250lbs :) I have a hefty calorie allowance even on loss!

I'm not fit bashing, nor assuming these people don't have problems - that's my point - it's about false representation.

As I've said earlier, it affects me so much because I get frustrated by it all. It shouldn't frustrate me, but it does, and I don't really know why, except for the things already mentioned.

I hear your pain on the whole 'people assume thin people have everything', that must be just as frustrating as feeling like you can't eat in public when you're fat. If that makes sense?
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    BigAnnieG wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »

So if you are aware that it isn't easy, and know them to be advertising, then why do you let it bother you?

I think because I'm tired of peddlars selling snake oil everywhere you look. I'm a cynic and it bothers me that advertisers not only get away with this stuff but actually make shed loads of money from it.

Don't let people push your buttons like that.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I think it's really just a bunch of photoshopped ego-w@nking for the most part. You take care of YOU and don't waste your time surfing image boards, which tend to depart from reality more often than not. I avoid those boards because I see no benefit for me there.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

I took issue with the exact part that @Keladelphia did. I'm 5'3" and I weigh 109 pounds, yet I'm willing to bet I eat more than you do OP.

It's assumed that if a woman is thin, her life is so awesome and she shouldn't have any complaints, worries, or problems at all and it's so far from the truth. These fitness models are human beings. Some of them are snake oil pushing human beings, yes, but they still have feelings. If you don't like seeing fit women or get intimidated or discouraged, just don't look. Aside from those who have had surgery, these women put time and effort into their bodies. Why should they be judged harshly for that? Why does it affect you so much?

I'm 6'2 and weigh over 250lbs :) I have a hefty calorie allowance even on loss!

I'm not fit bashing, nor assuming these people don't have problems - that's my point - it's about false representation.

As I've said earlier, it affects me so much because I get frustrated by it all. It shouldn't frustrate me, but it does, and I don't really know why, except for the things already mentioned.

I hear your pain on the whole 'people assume thin people have everything', that must be just as frustrating as feeling like you can't eat in public when you're fat. If that makes sense?

See, I'm actually jealous of YOU! I'm short and whenever I close my eyes and picture what I wished I looked like, it's always me being over 6 feet tall. Amazing!

I also agree with you about not being able to eat out in public when you're fat. When I weighed 190 pounds in high school, my food allergies were dismissed because I was fat. The doctor said "You could do without eating much food. Just eat vegetables and fruit and that should take care of your *issues*" as he looked me up and down. I'd get made fun of a lot. My best friend is between 390 and 430 pounds; she's tall, strong, but she knows she should lose a bit of weight for her health and she's working on it. People snickered at her when she joined the gym. They look at her in public and assume all she does is eat all day, some even making rude comments as she eats, and it can get to her at times. However, she's also got a lot going for her like a wonderful job she loves, she's getting married to the love of her life later this year, and her self-esteem has skyrocketed in recent years despite rude and tactless people we have in society.

I think social media in general is a place where many people, no matter their size, project the "best" of their lives. It's akin to that one person on your Facebook friends list who has such a picture perfect relationship that every status update is a declaration of love to their significant other. For many of these fitspo women, it's more of a job than anything. With all the sponsorships some of them have, it's their job to look happy and unaffected. Social media celebrity nonsense. I guess it just seemed kind of messed up as your post seemed to focus on thin fitspo women in general when there are muscular women and men who are just as bad with the charade.

I definitely get what your underlying message is though. Live and let live, I suppose.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I just... when I see these super fit ladies holding HUGE bowls of smoothies topped with chocolate etc and they're tagged with things like #cleaneating etc I just can't help but thinking 'Sure you made that, but did you eat it?'. It puts an unrealistic image and pressure on people trying to follow a healthy lifestyle. Just thinking about the amount of sugar in some of those things makes me shudder, even if it is mostly fruit sugar, it's a massive portion.

Pasting such images on the internet with advertising is everywhere. The way companies sell their bogus products is to create a perfect image, if you will, to prey on people who are looking for quick fixes. I gave up on paying attention to this advertising long ago because I choose to not allow it to apply to me. I know what it takes to gain, lose and maintain weight, and I know there are no quick fixes.

As for the amount of sugar in things-some people do well with more sugar, some do better with less. Sugar does not make us gain weight, or stop us from losing it, it's our overeating of calories that does this. Also, healthy lifestyle is in the eye of the beholder. :)

These types of images are indeed unrealistic, but they have been around forever and will continue on. I have found it best to focus on my own weight management journey.

Exactly. I'm so grateful that I've been able to get to a point where I don't let that stuff negatively impact me. I can only be the best version of who myself, and that's perfectly fine. I didn't always feel that way, as most of us don't, but getting past those feelings is such a beautiful thing.
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @synacious you're like a guru. :)

As for your doctor, I hope you found someone else who was more helpful/empathetic than that in the end!

Yeah I think it came across that I was annoyed at thin people (not sure I said specifically, cba to read back!) but totally 100% agree that there are very muscular people guilty of it too. I think my brain tells me though that they've earned those muscles somehow, which is an irrational comparison. however I think if there's one thing this thread has confirmed, it's that I'm very irrational over a lot of things ;-)

I'm so glad your friend is happy. I've been in her place too (I was 360lbs when I was in my early 20s) and the stares can get to you even if you laugh them off or ignore them, I think because you think people will always stare if you're tall so even if you get to a healthy weight it's still going to happen.

And you know, I'm wondering if I'm just feeling particularly cantankerous today because it's a few days back on the wagon after a stint being dragged behind it, and I am HUNGRY! Hahaha.
  • reinventingjessica11
    reinventingjessica11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love my IG as well. I post both the good and bad on my weight loss journey. I follow only weight loss/fitness accounts and have gotten a ton of motivation from it. I definitely see what op is saying but at the same time I actively choose to unfollow when I feel the need. Also, I don't know how new it is, but I also appreciate being able to select "see fewer of these posts." I tend to do this for all the waist trainer, detox skinny tea nonsense.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I take them as inspiration only. Will I ever look like them? No, not likely. It does make me want to be and look the best I can. I look at their meals like I do any food- would I eat that? Yes then I look for the recipe no scroll past. All the boo tea and waist trainers I ignore because I know that they are just trying to sell me something that essentially will not help me in my goals.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    OP, I do sometimes feel the same way, but whatever, it's their life. It's the same eye-rolling feeling I get when every beautiful, successful, fit actress says "I was a really awkward, dorky teenager", or a supermodel talks about how much they love junk food.

People are entitled to project whatever image they choose out into the world, and it has literally zero impact on how I live my life. It's natural to feel annoyance, or envy, or whatever, but to let that make you bitter just isn't healthy.

I follow a few fitness or lifestyle accounts on instagram, but only ones that I feel like add value or give me inspiration or information. I unfollow or hide things if I start to feel annoyed by them.

• vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    OP, i hear what you are saying and when i look at those pictures, i just feel sorry for them. If that is the ONLY way that a person can feel self-worth, then they have worse problems me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

So if you are aware that it isn't easy, and know them to be advertising, then why do you let it bother you?

I think because I'm tired of peddlars selling snake oil everywhere you look. I'm a cynic and it bothers me that advertisers not only get away with this stuff but actually make shed loads of money from it.

you have too much time on your hands ....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I posted this. I ate it all.

You're welcome.

stop tempting me bro....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    vczK2t wrote: »
    OP, i hear what you are saying and when i look at those pictures, i just feel sorry for them. If that is the ONLY way that a person can feel self-worth, then they have worse problems me.

why do you care?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Ultimately it is about being confidant with ourselves and trying not to judge others. I am very guilty of comparing myself to others but try to remind myself I am 5'7" with a size 10 shoe; I am not a small person. When I see these celebrities or fit people online it is hard not be envious. But the Jillian Michaels, Mila Kunis, Carmen Electra and Kim Kardashians of the world are 5'3"-5'4"... of course I am not shaped like them! Also, I don't workout and eat right and therefore should not be surprised that I am not size 2. But I do have hips and a butt I am proud of and tower over most of the woman in my family which I like. Try to find things about yourself that you are proud of, things that set you apart from these people. I do agree there is something wrong with someone needing a ton of attention from strangers on the internet via scantly clad photos but to each their own right.
    And some of these ladies have actually been where we were/are...overweight and struggling at some point in time.

I agree, instead of looking at other peoples qualities and what they advertise to eat (let's face it, smoothies make a better picture to show off with), find qualities about YOU that you admire. Screw the social media, and unfollow/block what bothers you. Oh, just because someone is fit, it doesn't mean chocolate is off the menu. After all, food is food is food, and by calorie counting, you can fit the foods that you like within your calorie goal. This is how I lost close to 90lbs. Chose a reasonable calorie goal where you're not hungry and go with the flow. DO what YOU can do for now.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ultimately it is about being confidant with ourselves and trying not to judge others. I am very guilty of comparing myself to others but try to remind myself I am 5'7" with a size 10 shoe; I am not a small person. When I see these celebrities or fit people online it is hard not be envious. But the Jillian Michaels, Mila Kunis, Carmen Electra and Kim Kardashians of the world are 5'3"-5'4"... of course I am not shaped like them! Also, I don't workout and eat right and therefore should not be surprised that I am not size 2. But I do have hips and a butt I am proud of and tower over most of the woman in my family which I like. Try to find things about yourself that you are proud of, things that set you apart from these people. I do agree there is something wrong with someone needing a ton of attention from strangers on the internet via scantly clad photos but to each their own right.

Something that struck me when I went to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland was just how small so many artists/singers are. They have a bunch of stage costumes on display and even the women who you don't think of as super slim are pretty petite. Tina Turner, for instance, is a woman who I think of as being fit and healthy (which she is) but based on her costume she's way smaller than I would have guessed. A lot of them are much shorter than I realized as well, even the men.

I've been to many a concert, met many a musician. I'm 5'8" and tower over quite a few.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good heavens, put down the pitchforks already.

What @BigAnnieG pointed out is exactly why people who work with teens recommend parental eyes on social media accounts. Is just that the stuff doesn't just affect teens

I don't see her recommending that social media shut anyone down or that people can't post what they want.

No, @BigAnnieG, you are not a bitter old woman. Much of what is in social media really is vacuous. Put that garbage in "ignore" and fill your feed with things you draw positive energy from.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Good heavens, put down the pitchforks already.

What @BigAnnieG pointed out is exactly why people who work with teens recommend parental eyes on social media accounts. Is just that the stiff doesn't just affect teens

I don't see her recommending that Sichuan media shut anyone down or that people can't post what they want.

No, @BigAnnieG, you are not a bitter old woman. Much of what is in social media really is vacuous. Put that garbage in "ignore" and fill your feed with things you draw positive energy from.

What if I do draw "positive energy" from "vacuous" posts of tasty food and women proudly displaying the results of their health and fitness routines?

One person's "vacuous" is another person's motivation. You're acting like there is some sort of objectivity to your judgment but it's just your personal take on someone's selfies. They're not trying to write "War and Peace," but it doesn't have to be deep to be a spark of positive energy for someone. Why would you consider it "garbage" instead of something that just isn't for you?