Recipes with Cabbage? Help!

Options
proverbs31wife08
proverbs31wife08 Posts: 4 Member
I just got two huge cabages from someone for their garden! What can I do other than fried with bacon? Lol Yes I'm southern ha-ha

Replies

• suska007
    suska007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Shred and add to salads. It adds a nice crunch, texture, and taste.
    Cut 1/2" thick, brush with olive oil, season with sea salt and pepper, and roast at 400F for 20 min.
    Fish tacos: shred 2 cups cabbage and add juice of 1 lime, 1 Tbsp olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Season white fish with Cajun seasoning. Top fish tacos with avocado, tomato, cabbage, and cilantro.
    Saute with some butter, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, mustard seeds, seaweed flakes.
  • Nfain68
    Nfain68 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Unstuffed Cabbage rolls. Recipe makes 6 servings 398 calories/serving.

2 pounds ground beef or lean turkey
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 small head cabbage, chopped
    2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (buy unsalted variety to cut down salt)
    1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (buy unsalted variety to cut down salt
    1/2 cup water
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef and onion in the hot Dutch oven until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease. Add cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, garlic, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover Dutch oven, reduce heat, and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes.

Calories:398 kcal
    Fat: 23.8 g
    Carbs: 16.3g
    Protein: 28.5 g
    Cholesterol: 93 mg
    Sodium: 1294 mg
  • fatmel2016
    fatmel2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I'm with you on the southern thing. I was going to say "fry it with some bacon sweetie!!" But I see you already got that ;)
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Thinly slice for a creamy tangy coleslaw:
    Thinly sliced onion
    Chopped Apple
    Toasted walnuts
    Fat free mayo and a few spoonfuls of white vinegar
    Salt, pepper and garlic powder
    (Raisins before eating if you want)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like to use it in stir fry, salads, in coleslaw of course. I love kimchi but I've never made it. Here is something I found online with 20 cabbage recipes. Some of them look pretty yummy.

http://www.thekitchn.com/20-recipes-where-cabbage-is-king-227147
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Shred, add one whole beaten egg, fresh garlic, a lil sea salt ,pepper and "fry" with olive oil cooking spray. Drizzle a little sesame dressing and let the flavor explosion begin :)
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    suska007 wrote: »
    Cut 1/2" thick, brush with olive oil, season with sea salt and pepper, and roast at 400F for 20 minutes.

Yes! I've done this many times. This is unbelievably delicious.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Brown some ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey pork, whatever you want) and diced onion in a little sesame oil. Add a couple minced garlic cloves, ground ginger and soy sauce. Stir in a whole bunch of thinly sliced cabbage and cook for several minutes until cabbage is tender. Sprinkle in some sliced green onions, salt and pepper to taste. Eat by itself or with rice, cauliflower rice, or quinoa.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Grandma's Skillet Cabbage Supper (my German grandmother used to make this all the time)

Sliced sausage (pork, beef keilbasa, or chicken - I use chicken due to lower calories)
    1-2 sliced granny smith apples
    1/2 head of shredded cabbage
    A little white wine

Brown the sausage slices. Add a little of the white wine (or water) to deglaze the pan. Add the apples and cabbage. Cover the pan and simmer until cabbage and apples are tender. Sometimes I'll throw in a little balsamic vinegar. I've also made this adding cauliflower or sliced peppers. So easy and Yum!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Slice it up, drizzle with a little oil and roast it.
    Beef and cabbage soup
    coleslaw
    cabbage rolls
    add it to stir fry
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Braised cabbage is my favorite. Chop up some bacon (apple wood smoked is amazing) and fry it up. Add some onions sliced thin to the bacon and sautee until the onions are translucent. Add in your shredded head of cabbage and toss it around until coated. Add in a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar and a tsp of sugar. Then add some chicken stock, bring to a boil then go to the lowest setting let simmer for 45 minutes so the cabbage is nice and tender. I eat this as a side or a main dish with some kielbasi and it's fantastic!
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you are on MFP to lose some weight I recommend making soup. Use whatever is available for a nice tasty low calorie low cost meal that will last a few days and taste just as good if you freeze it and eat it months later.

I typically use some sort of chicken, browns better than breast, anything low cost
    Add onions, red pepper, carrot, a couple potato, chicken stock, hot sauce, roasted red pepper seasoning, salt, pepper. I like to add tomato too but you have to blanch and peel the skins off or they get nasty.
    Put it all in a pot and let it simmer until you get the desired texture you want.

Make sure you don't only eat the soup in a day though, the cabbage soup diet is terrible for you. I eat the soup often for lunch and it allows me to have a larger, higher calorie dinner and stay within my calorie restriction.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    50extra wrote: »
    If you are on MFP to lose some weight I recommend making soup. Use whatever is available for a nice tasty low calorie low cost meal that will last a few days and taste just as good if you freeze it and eat it months later.

I typically use some sort of chicken, browns better than breast, anything low cost
    Add onions, red pepper, carrot, a couple potato, chicken stock, hot sauce, roasted red pepper seasoning, salt, pepper. I like to add tomato too but you have to blanch and peel the skins off or they get nasty.
    Put it all in a pot and let it simmer until you get the desired texture you want.

Make sure you don't only eat the soup in a day though, the cabbage soup diet is terrible for you. I eat the soup often for lunch and it allows me to have a larger, higher calorie dinner and stay within my calorie restriction.

A lot of successful people on MFP have lost weight eating regular foods (including soup). Just because one is trying to lose weight doesn't automatically mean soup. I also didn't see where she was talking about eating the cabbage soup diet, but I agree it is a terrible diet to follow.
  • AngryGangrel
    AngryGangrel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Soups, stews, stir-fry, roasted in the oven, raw in salads or in sandwiches/tacos/wraps...the sky's the limit with cabbage.

This week I sautéed some chopped cabbage in a little olive oil until it started to wilt...added a few cloves of minced garlic, some frozen chopped spinach, red pepper flakes, curry powder, and just a pinch of sugar...cooked all of it down until the cabbage was nicely caramelized and the spinach heated through and incorporated with the cabbage. Then mixed it up with some rice...it made a lovely side to some pork chops.
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

A lot of successful people on MFP have lost weight eating regular foods (including soup). Just because one is trying to lose weight doesn't automatically mean soup. I also didn't see where she was talking about eating the cabbage soup diet, but I agree it is a terrible diet to follow.

I'm not sure where you are going with this? If they are on here to gain weight or bulk up I wouldn't recommend making a low calorie soup I would recommend frying the cabbage and adding it to no yolk noodles with salt and pepper served with sausage. But since I don't know what their plan is I mentioned that if they are looking at losing weight a good idea would be low calorie cabbage soup.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Make sauerkraut with one of you don't fancy consuming two huge cabbage within a few days!
  • Alluminati
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

I'm not sure where you are going with this? If they are on here to gain weight or bulk up I wouldn't recommend making a low calorie soup I would recommend frying the cabbage and adding it to no yolk noodles with salt and pepper served with sausage. But since I don't know what their plan is I mentioned that if they are looking at losing weight a good idea would be low calorie cabbage soup.

How do you or I know why they are on here at all? They were just asking for recipes for extra cabbage they had. Where I'm going is that you seem to be assuming that because people are here to lose weight that the recommendation should be low calorie soup. And then you started talking about the cabbage soup diet, which no where in the OP it was mentioned. A lot of successful people on here have lost weight by eating normal food, not just low calorie diet food. That's all I was saying.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @proverbs31wife08

Here's my recipe for Chicken & Cabbage Soup. Making this in a crock-pot is good for summer months. I just put it all in together in water and let it simmer on low 6 - 7 hours.

If you eat carbs, you can add cooked noodles or rice. If you eat low carb, you can add shirataki noodles or eat it as is.

Nutritional stats shown are:
    (calories / total fat - sat fat / Sodium / carbs / fiber / sugar / protein) [Glycemic Load]

Chicken & Cabbage Soup Recipe makes 6 servings

**11 oz. chicken breast (skin and most fat removed) (341 / 0 / 770 S 0 / 0 / 0 / 66) [GL 0]
    chicken fat+, approx.. ~2 tblsp. (160 / 18 – 6 / 8 S / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0) [GL 0]
    14 oz. cabbage (98 / 0 / 70 S / 28 / 0 / 14 / 0) [GL 14]
    1 cup parsnip (133 g) (100 / 0 / 13 S / 24 / 6 / 7 / 2) [GL 7]
    1 cup chopped onion (160 g) (64 / 0 / 6 S / 15 / 7 / 3 / 2) [GL 2]
    2 tsp minced garlic (0 / 0 / 0 S / 2 / 0 / 0 / 0) [GL 0]
    1.5 cups celery (24 / 0 / 121.5 S / 4.5 / 3 / 3 / 1.5) [GL 1.5]
    4 tsp. tomato paste (18 / ~ 0 / 172.5 S / 4 / 2.5 / 1 / 1) [GL 1.5]
    2 tsp. Goya salsa picante & pepper, dried basil & bay leaves (0 except: 500 Sodium) [GL 0]

TOTAL RECIPE: (805 / 18 – 6 / 1661 S / 77.5 / 18.5 / 28 / 72.5) [GL 26]

PER SERVING: (135 / 3 – 1 / 277 S / 13 / 2 / 4.75 / 12) [GL 4.5]

** Your amount of chicken may vary, adjust your numbers accordingly.
    Per ounce of chicken: (31 / 0 / 70 S 0 / 0 / 0 / 6) [GL 0]

+ Here I am accounting for the fat clinging to the chicken breasts, not adding additional fat

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Around this part of the world, cabbage is for cabbage rolls.

https://grannys.ca/recipe/wild-rice-and-turkey-cabbage-rolls/

The above recipe is a little fussy but I'm betting it would be a crowd pleaser.

A great tip is to freeze the leaves first so they roll easily.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/15000/stuffed-cabbage/

A simple stir fry recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/50233/black-pepper-beef-and-cabbage-stir-fry/

I'd be tempted to make this stir fry a little more colorful with julienned carrots cooked a few minutes before adding the cabbage.
  • proverbs31wife08
    proverbs31wife08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    Make sauerkraut with one of you don't fancy consuming two huge cabbage within a few days!

Yea I don't plan to eat it all at once lol but there is 5 in my family so they'll be eating what I cook too