Here to Lose 20 Pounds After Difficult and Time Consuming Work Schedule

Options
Hi All,

Joining MFP after a time consuming work schedule the past 9 months has left me 20lbs heavier. I used to compete in 10Ks and triathlons, however a change in my work schedule from September to June left me little time or energy to train. I never altered my eating habits. As a result, I've gained 20lbs. I'm unhappy with my current weight and feel confident that my reduced work load starting in July will allow me to exercise (and sleep) more. As a result of the past 9 months, my fitness levels have drastically decreased as well. My last 5K race in June 2015 was a PB at 23:30. Now I don't think I could finish in under 31:00 for a 10 minute mile.

I will be 31 in a few weeks. Currently 143lbs looking to drop to around 125 where I've been happiest. I don't know if I should focus on fitness or weight loss. I know it's almost impossible to train at a calorie deficit and since I'm out of shape right now, training my way to weight loss seems like an injury minefield. Any tips on how to navigate this journey will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlene

Replies

• cmeranda79
    cmeranda79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When you say "impossible to train at a calorie deficit", do you mean for triathlons?
  • Charlene072385
    Charlene072385 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I was riding 30 miles a day or running close to 12, I couldn't even begin to fathom eating less than what I was eating. I have a FitBit and would basically try to eat close to what it was telling me I burned. My weight would fluctuate within 3-4lbs so I was very happy. Now I have to lose weight and eat at a deficit. I don't feel comfortable with jumping right into that exercise level right off the bat, so I know I need to create a larger caloric deficit. I've decided to set it up at 1.5lbs per week and eat around 750 calories less than what my FitBit says I burn and try that out for a few weeks to see if I am successful or not. I also understand that I may lose 3 or 4 pounds the first week and that is normal when starting a "diet". I just don't know if how I'm planning on going about things is the correct and healthy way. I don't have any medical issues other than a BMI of being almost overweight right now.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I've decided to set it up at 1.5lbs per week and eat around 750 calories less than what my FitBit says I burn and try that out for a few weeks to see if I am successful or not.

For 18 lb? No. Nonononononononononononono. That's way too aggressive. Set yourself up for a 1/2 lb per week loss. You should still be able to train.

• Charlene072385
    Options
    I don't mean to sound like a party pooper, but at that rate, it'll take me 6 months to lose 20lbs.
  • cmeranda79
    Options
    That seems reasonable. I'm a bit similar to you (down to the Fitbit lol), just lost 30 lbs over the last 8 months using MFP, just under 130 lbs now, have ridden centuries and double centuries, run half marathons, etc, 37 years old.

I ate 1200-1800 calories per day and some percentage of my exercise calories. I did not compete in anything during that time, though I did some cycle touring. I lost 1-2 lbs per week and was generally at a deficit of 200-1000 calories per day. On sedentary days I cut my calories harder; on serious training days I upped either my carbs or protein and overall calories depending on the severity and type of the workout. I haven't had any injuries and feel very energized when cutting, though I obsess about food (browsing pastry photos on Yelp at midnight, what? :) )

Not sure if you do any heavy lifting, but I tend to do moderate heavy compound lifts 2-4x/week when cutting to preserve as much lean muscle mass as possible when losing weight. I also do HIIT and yoga 2-7x/week.

I focus much more heavily on my diet than my training, since a cookie could be 300 calories and I can eat those all day and then *poof* my workout calories are gone. I look for ways to keep my insulin levels low on sedentary days (but not to ketogenic levels, that's too much effort for me), so a lot of low-carb, low-sugar foods, watch out for snacking. When I am cycling 50+ km per day (we cycle tour), I throw all my rules out the window and eat all the things.

Personally it helps me to weigh myself every day and to weigh my food and record it when I see that I'm gaining for more than a few days. I tend to suck at portions and think I am a 200-lb 6' bodybuilder when I'm putting food on a plate, haha.

I found I dropped the first 15 lbs quickly and easily (as you mentioned a solid few lbs of water weight came off first) but it took some effort once I got under 130. Curious to see how you progress.

My 2 cents, hope it helps. Best of luck with everything!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound like a party pooper, but at that rate, it'll take me 6 months to lose 20lbs.

which is realistic. you gained it in 9 months, so why do you think losing it in 6 months isn't adequate?
  • TR0berts
    Options
    I just don't know if how I'm planning on going about things is the correct and healthy way. I don't have any medical issues other than a BMI of being almost overweight right now.

You're not - especially if you aren't even overweight at the moment.
  • cmeranda79
    Options

That might not be as bad as you think. You might lose the first 10-15 lbs in the first few months, and then you'll already be quite close to where you want to be, and can cut your deficit back a little and train more.
  • Charlene072385
    Options
    I have no races scheduled for 2016. I am very upset with myself, but what is done is done and I have to start today; I can't go back and eat less. I guess I was just hoping that I could be back to myself in 3 or 4 months, not 6. I'm looking to train, but not compete for 6 months at least. I wear a uniform to work and we are only permitted to order new ones in January. I can barely fit into my tops, I can't completely zip my bottoms. I've already received multiple warnings regarding my weight gain but just felt too exhausted to do much about it. I'm sorry for sounding impatient. I know there is no reason why I should expect a fast weight loss. I'm just very disappointed in myself and now my employer is too.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    You can do it, especially if you set yourself up for burning a large amount of calories from exercise as it sounds like you do. If so, you can actually eat the same as you are currently or even a little more, and still lose, I find it is much easier this way to lose weight. I have a hard time reducing my food too much, so I do something similar with hiking (similar both in work situation causing 20lbs gain and high caloric burn). It is much easier for me to bump my caloric burn up and try to average about 800-1,000 cals per day, not eat much more than I typically do, and lose quickly.

The upside of this is that you have less difficulty getting adequate vitamins, protein and overall good nutrition on an increased level of food (still not automatic you have to balance things out), you lose quickly, you increase training so you don't lose as much muscle as a long term deficit. The downside is time consumption (you workout for hours depending on body weight and activities and should also sleep longer too), you aren't getting yourself into a long term sustainable pattern, and the possibility of over training and causing injury to yourself if you don't know what you are doing or closely monitor it. So because this is a technically more risky way to lose weight, its not good for most people, and I cant really advise you to do it. But I do something very similar to what I outlined above, and am doing it right now.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    I get that. I really do. Consider this: you run halfs and tris. As such, you're an athlete. As such, you probably understand the importance of maintaining your muscles to allow you to accomplish those. If your deficit is too large, you're pretty much guaranteed to lose some of that muscle.

Small(er) deficit, train - maybe not at the same intensity as before, but train, nonetheless - and you'll probably like how things turn out. And even though it may take a while longer than you originally wanted to get to your goal weight, it probably won't take too long to get back down to where your clothes fit better/well.
  • cmeranda79
    Options
    You can do it, especially if you set yourself up for burning a large amount of calories from exercise as it sounds like you do. If so, you can actually eat the same as you are currently or even a little more, and still lose, I find it is much easier this way to lose weight. I have a hard time reducing my food too much, so I do something similar with hiking (similar both in work situation causing 20lbs gain and high caloric burn). It is much easier for me to bump my caloric burn up and try to average about 800-1,000 cals per day, not eat much more than I typically do, and lose quickly.

The upside of this is that you have less difficulty getting adequate vitamins, protein and overall good nutrition on an increased level of food (still not automatic you have to balance things out), you lose quickly, you increase training so you don't lose as much muscle as a long term deficit. The downside is time consumption (you workout for hours depending on body weight and activities and should also sleep longer too), you aren't getting yourself into a long term sustainable pattern, and the possibility of over training and causing injury to yourself if you don't know what you are doing or closely monitor it. So because this is a technically more risky way to lose weight, its not good for most people, and I cant really advise you to do it. But I do something very similar to what I outlined above, and am doing it right now.

That's a really important point: if you only have a small number of calories in which to get your nutrition you have choose very carefully. I just eat homemade salads and baked chicken a lot, but it can be exhausting to go to restaurants and try to figure out what 400 calories might be (the napkin probably). On the flip side, you're a cheap date and your grocery bills are tiny ;)
  • erwingeminie20
    erwingeminie20 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you tried watching "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" documentary movie? Maybe that will help you loose your weight.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    cmeranda79 wrote: »

That's a really important point: if you only have a small number of calories in which to get your nutrition you have choose very carefully. I just eat homemade salads and baked chicken a lot, but it can be exhausting to go to restaurants and try to figure out what 400 calories might be (the napkin probably). On the flip side, you're a cheap date and your grocery bills are tiny ;)

Salad and baked chicken is a staple for me too, but yes, much easier to get your nutrition on more calories. When you cut them low, every food has to "count", but you still count with the larger meals, just can fit in some fluff (not too much since I keep high protein to reduce muscle loss). I am also larger than you two, both in muscle mass and probably weight to lose, so of course I can eat more, and also as a result, the same hour hiking up the mountain may burn double the calories you burnt on the same trip, don't forget that. I put in weight sessions as well as high calorie burning aerobic sessions to reduce any loss of muscle and I don't see any strength loss when I do this, in fact most of the time I increase strength again. People on here tend to forget one other thing too with muscle loss: time. I don't keep the high rate of loss for too long (don't even need to when all goes as planned), sometimes I'll cycle back and forth from high burn week to a slight deficit or even no deficit week, and am not exposed to the muscle loss possibility for long as a result.

Even for larger daily calorie diets you should try to keep away from restaurant meals as much as possible. But, I'll still fit in a half an extra large pizza once per week so far and I'm still keeping an accelerated loss. As long as you account for it and burn it, its not a problem: again its harder for the average or lighter person to do this, if you burn half the calories, a quarter of the pizza would be your "pork out" meal, etc. And I'm still losing faster than "recommended" on MFP, again. No cheap dates here I guess ;)
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I will be 31 in a few weeks. Currently 143lbs looking to drop to around 125

Yup, now I am jealous
  • Charlene072385
    Options
    Yesterday I was able to get to the park to do some running/walking intervals. I did 1:30 of running to 5:00 of walking over 2 hours and covered a little bit more than 9 miles. My Fitbit said I burned 2699 calories for the day. I would usually eat about 100 less than what it said to maintain and I will eat 500 less than that to lose weight. So yesterday, I should have eaten 2000-2100 for my goal. Only ended up eating about 1500 so I'll do better today; went to bed hungry. I have to work all night tonight, but luckily my job is somewhat physical. On days like this, my burn is lower today because I sleep until noon to be rested for the all-night shift but tomorrow will be high because I'm up all night. I really would like to keep more of an average caloric goal if I can and hope I don't get too hungry. Thank you again for all your input.