How much should I weigh?

Options
Hi! I'm 36 yrs old, Five one in height and at the moment 152 lbs. I was thinking of loosing only about 15lbs more but I see all these people that are taller and wanting to weigh like 110lb! I know for sure I definitely don't want to weigh that! The least I've ever weighed was 117 and that was in my early twenties, I kinda looked sick. Any advice?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You should weigh however much you weigh when you look about how you want to look. Assuming, of course, that you're aesthetically motivated.

That might be 140, could be 125, nobody but you can make that determination for you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My advice is to lose the 15 pounds and then decide if you are happy with it. If you look in the mirror and think you'd like to lose more, work on losing more. You do not need to know your ultimate weight goal at this point.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm a shade taller than you and started at 152. My goal was 130 but when I reached it, I decided I could still use to drop a little more. I'm aiming for 125 (currently 127) and I'll see how I feel when I get there. To be honest, I can't see myself going any lower than 120. I'm short, but my frame is far from delicate.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    People have different bone structure and muscle mass, that's why healthy weight numbers are usually given as a range (at your height that's around 100-135 lbs.)

Body fat percentage is a big part of what you'll look like at a certain weight as well (although it's difficult to measure accurately without a DEXA scan or similar) so someone with a lot of muscle mass and low body fat might be on the higher end of that healthy BMI range (but for women, it usually takes a great deal of time and effort in the gym to achieve that much muscle and that little fat, and women who are doing that kind of program usually KNOW they're at a healthy fat percentage and don't worry about being at the top of the range/edging into overweight.)

Honestly, I think a lot of people just aren't used to their body at a healthy weight and so can't really accurately judge what it will look like at a given weight. It's very hard to say "Oh, no, I'd look like a skeleton at ___lbs!" if that last time you were that weight was years ago.

You don't have to decide on a goal weight and stick to it forever. Why not lose the weight you want to and then see how you feel then? You'll know if you're happy or not when you see it.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It just depends on what you want, how you carry weight,and your muscle mass. What I mean is that someone with more muscle will weigh more despite looking smaller, which can change their goals. So someone who doesn't want to lift may have a lower goal weight because they will carry less muscle. Likewise, people with different body shapes will often feel better at different weights.

Now, I know you have been at lower weight, but some people also pick a weight because they like how it sounds with no actual idea what it would look like. Ive been obese all my adult and teen life, so my "goal weight" is a random guess, like many people's. Heck, just age can change it. Being 15 and 100lbs may have been great, but that same women at 47 may decide that doesn't fit her body anymore.

So, after that long rambling, pick a goal that sounds good and reevaluate when you reach it.
  • erwingeminie20
    erwingeminie20 Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm not promoting anything. But have you tried watching the "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" documentary? You can watch it for free in Youtube
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit shorter than you (4'11") and 130 lbs right now. I'm striving for 115 lbs.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    I'm not promoting anything. But have you tried watching the [redacted] documentary?

This is the 2nd thread you've brought this up, where it is completely inappropriate. Please stop.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm not promoting anything. But have you tried watching the "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" documentary? You can watch it for free in Youtube

It's a farce i.e. mockumentary
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Why are all your posts about this movie? This is at least your third post encouraging people to watch it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I'm not promoting anything. But have you tried watching the [redacted] documentary?

This is the 2nd thread you've brought this up, where it is completely inappropriate. Please stop.

That seems to be all that users posts so far (well at least 3 out of 5, also posted in a Herbalife thread). Sure looks like promoting to me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Why are all your posts about this movie?

He was sucked in.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

That seems to be all that users posts so far (well at least 3 out of 5, also posted in a Herbalife thread). Sure looks like promoting to me.

I stand corrected. Oh, wait, this is MFP, I need to dig my heels in and argue, right? ;)