Binge Eating

Options
I tend to binge eat a lot and its getting worse. I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good books that may help with this? I use the forums for inspiration which can help a little.

Thanks

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Haha! Great response by @KinkJarfld!

Mindfulness and awareness are key. Prior to eating something stop and ask yourself if you need it and if it's worth it.

Limit your access to food, if possible. Don't buy the things you tend to over eat. If that's not something you can control, then you need to stop, take a breath, and evaluate how you'll feel after you eat.

There are books people here recommend but I can't remember the titles off hand. Hopefully others will post them!
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Currently, I am reading "Beck Diet Solution" that focuses on cognitive behavior therapy to help with the self sabotage. I really liked the book and am going to be doing all the tasks listed in that book. Good luck!
  • gofaster01
    gofaster01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too binge eat and I found that it's all about my mind set. If I have some cookies or ice cream I get the attitude "well now I blew it for the day" and I binge. However that's not the case, you have to make an immediate U turn and don't think you blew if for the day. A small treat is okay and most of the time it won't hurt your progress but binging will. good Luck
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Thrive by Rob Kelly.
    Teaches you about yourself, your triggers, how you view yourself and how to change your outlook on life and yourself. Best self help book I have come across as it changes your opinions of yourself, and how your mindset affects your behaviour.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Look into "Brain over binge," it uses a neurobiological approach to dismissing the urges.
  • bananabeannn
    bananabeannn Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    oh my god yes, to cheesy567 - brain over binge. It's about a girl who was bulimic, but it is an absolutely fantastic read. Basically she says - drop all the bull and just HEAR the 'animal brain' telling you to eat, and don't ACT or LISTEN. It can only nag and whine but it can NEVER make you act.

I think we as a society get wrapped around the axel of 'binge eating' as a disease...when in this book she instead describes it as a 'binge created brain wiring problem'. It's just a conditioned pattern of brain activity and impulses that we can break the moment we watch it happening without reacting.

Amazing. Couldn't recommend it more.

And also, consider taking a look at Isabel Foxen Duke's website. She is amazing, young, inspirational, and SO right.
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    gofaster01 wrote: »
    I too binge eat and I found that it's all about my mind set. If I have some cookies or ice cream I get the attitude "well now I blew it for the day" and I binge. However that's not the case, you have to make an immediate U turn and don't think you blew if for the day. A small treat is okay and most of the time it won't hurt your progress but binging will. good Luck

I agree, from my experience, my eating disorder was mental, due to the story I was telling myself. Like, strive for perfection in our diet, that if its not 100% perfect, we flip a *kitten*. However, its interesting to me that all successful people, LeBron, Bill Gates, Mark Zucks, etc...all say that consistency is the key to success. This same principle applies in fitness.

Like you could have the most perfectly perfect "clean" eating meal plan thingy, but if you only follow it 5 out of the 7 days of a week with "cheats" a.k.a binges the other two days, your spinning your wheels. Dunno just somethings I have observed in my journey, that I see often...
  • AngeloInTexas
    AngeloInTexas Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love pizza. But we have broken up for now, because I know one taste and she will seduce me...
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Are you already part of this group? If so, sorry for the redundancy. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100766-eating-disorder-support-group
  • xelmax
    xelmax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone