Lentils Nutrition

Options
I have been eating Green Lentils from Fresh & Easy and the calorie count has been 160 calories per 1/4 cup DRY.

Just bought some Lentils ( not green, or at least no specified) from Stater Brothers and they have 70 calories per 1/4 cup DRY.

What is up with these discrepancies? How can a raw material vary so greatly on calories from one brand to another?

Replies

• wadwrich
    wadwrich Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    need to know this too. I've been counting my servings of lentils as 70 calories but it appears that they are adjusting for net carbs or something based off of another post I read. Apparently I have been eating a good bit more calories than I thought.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you look at a lot of different packages, the 1/4 cup references anywhere from 32g to 50g of dried lentils. That's a big difference!
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Is it possible they have very different weights for their 1/4 cups? If you go by weight, there should be no discrepancy, they have around 350 calories/100 grams like all beans and that kind of thing.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I am looking at two bags of lentils that are completely different from each other as well:
    • One Degree Organic Green Lentils 1/4 cup dry (45 grams) 160 calories
    • Publix (generic) Lentils 1/4 cup dry (32) grams) 70 calories

I suppose each type of lentil is different and needs to be weighed before cooking.
  • BlueberryWatermelon
    BlueberryWatermelon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    350cal/100g seems right for the brands I have (green lentils). Maybe different kinds of lentils have different nutritional properties? I guess the important thing is to weigh them instead of using measuring cups.

mgy1jtxo6jxh.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »
    Is it possible they have very different weights for their 1/4 cups? If you go by weight, there should be no discrepancy, they have around 350 calories/100 grams like all beans and that kind of thing.

Yep, I'd be comparing them by weight, per 100g. I don't trust cup measurements at all.