Coffee sweetener

Options
Does anyone have ideas how to sweeten coffee without so much sugar and calories?

Replies

• need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have ideas how to sweeten coffee without so much sugar and calories?

Sugarfree syrup?
    https://www.amazon.com/Jordans-Skinny-Gourmet-Caramel-25-4-Ounce/dp/B008GZV29E
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I use stevia, had to try a few different ones to find one that didn't taste bitter.

I actually have switched to black coffee now, but for years I used stevia and enjoyed it, I ran out and was too lazy to buy more and realized i didn't mind black coffee , and I buy better quality coffee and use an areo press now so black coffee is pretty yummy
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I make protein coffee with protein powder. Yes calories but it fits my macros better.
  • Littlesunshinesmommy
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I was using Stevia for a whole but found out I am allergic to it.
  • Littlesunshinesmommy
    Options
    What kind of coffee do you use now?
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Peet's coffee is fantastic. It's the only coffee I can drink black. It's not cheap though and I'm not even sure what cities it is sold in. It's from California but we can buy it here in stl.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I usually drink coffee black, but using a spoon of flavored creamer is enough to sweeten it without a lot of sugar. I enjoy mixing vanilla protein powder with hot coffee and then half a cup of milk mixed with ice for a protein filled iced coffee. The protein powder def sweetens it up......almost too much, and it has only about 2g of sugar.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    start putting a little less in every two weeks or so. Eventually you will get used to not having anything in it at all. I was a spoon of sugar and cream guy. Now I drink dark roasts black.
  • Teemo_sucks
    Teemo_sucks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Myprotein flavdrops are so bloody good, I use vanilla in tea and coffee <3
  • fabulousmo
    fabulousmo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    jimshine wrote: »
    start putting a little less in every two weeks or so. Eventually you will get used to not having anything in it at all. I was a spoon of sugar and cream guy. Now I drink dark roasts black.

yup, me too. many years ago, i could only drink it "double double" (how we refer to it in Canada - maybe you refer to it that way, too, in the US), double cream/double sugar. i switched that out for a splash of 1% milk. you get used to it! but that's not what you're asking - so what if you put cinnamon or vanilla in it so as to provide the "illusion" of sweetness?
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use coffee mate, no sugar. It's my one unhealthy habit, but I measured out once to see how much I was using- usually around 1 tablespoon, which is 35 calories. I really enjoy my coffee this way, and don't really enjoy it when I try to wean off of it.
  • Piloteer2009
    Piloteer2009 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Splenda.
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Most zero calorie sweeteners are full of chemicals and artifical stuff. Stevia is a plant that's 300x sweeter than sugar and that's what I use. If I want something less sweet but still sweet I use agave nectar! It's also from a plant and is like a thin syrup. Maple syrup works as well because it has nutrients though it is still very sugary. As a side note, I used to put like 3-4 sugars in an average sized coffee and thought I needed it. Then I forced myself to put less and less in and now I'm a firm enjoyer of black coffee (with the occasional sugar). You could give that a try too?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I hate stevia and splenda, the taste of those are just off.

I just put the cup of milk that would have gone on cereal into the coffee instead and make a latte. It's nice enough unsweetened, or good with a hint of molasses or a small spoonful of sugar. One cup hot milk, three or four shots of espresso, ends up about half milk, half very strong coffee.

Iced coffee, I am hopeless, only like that with real sugar.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    sugar free coffee mate and stevia. When I want a little more flavor, I will use skinny syrup (vanilla).
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am still working on weaning myself down to black but right now I use a vanilla caramel coffee creamer that's about 30 calories a tablespoon.
  • MarkerMommy1
    MarkerMommy1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can use about half the sugar if I make iced coffee. Plus, as the ice melts it seems like I am getting more of my treat, even though it is mostly water. I also put a little cocoa powder (unsweetened) in my iced and regular coffee. It is so good! Once you wean yourself off of the artificial and unhealthy stuff in the store bought creamers you will find it hard to go back!