first timer!!!

Options
nmcguire2016
nmcguire2016 Posts: 9 Member
Hey guys I'm 27, trying to gain weight, I have always been skinny and that's obviously due to me not eating enough, I have just started using serious mass and eating a lot more calories, not exactly healthy but just trying to get those calories in, im not at the gym at the moment, was hoping to gain some before I started, I hate my arms and wrists they are tiny and it really gets to me when I'm in the gym so I thought I could gain some weight before I start......bad idea????? thanks guys

Replies

• nmcguire2016
    Options
    gym at the moment****
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, if you don't go to the gym, I would at least start with doing a body resistance program. You can still provide progressive resistance and break down muscle tissue, which will force it to grow. And then, when you transition to the gym, you can follow one of the programs found in the link below.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

In terms of food, I would use the thread below to get an idea of foods that can help you reach your goal. I generally prefer to stay away from mass gains as they are overpriced, IMO. And it's more enjoyable to eat :).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    With no resistance training the weight gain will simply be fat gain. Make the most out of your gains and start the gym. Worst case scenario as above start a body resistance program.
  • nmcguire2016
    Options
    I'm eating junk at the moment, but eating more calories than I ever have...3500 -4000 daily, and I find my appetite is growing, with the foods in eating will I still be able to get bigger with going to the gym, if that makes any sense....thanks guys
  • joelprice575
    joelprice575 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would recommend 500 calories above your maintenance (myfitnesspal will calculate that for you - just put in gain 1 pound per week in the goals section). Also, recommend weight lifting/resistance training, otherwise you will just gain fat, especially if you are eating junk. Include more protein in your diet, about 30%, and you will gain muscle.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Aw c'mon, why wait? Get in there and get used to picking up some heavy things and putting them back down.
  • nmcguire2016
    Options
    thanks guys I will get myself to the gym and make use of the calories I'm getting in