Hey runners! Hip pain trouble. What to do?

Options
dewell2
dewell2 Posts: 36 Member
I have been running for a several years now. I am over 40. I never have had a problem with hip pain even when I first started out. This past year was not easy after I lost my mom and I also lost my discipline to run. I am trying to get back into the swing of things by doing strength training and stretching but this hip pain is killing me. I am also looking into a BCA and glucosamine Has anyone experienced this and what did you do? Thanks!

Replies

• workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Did you get fit for a good pair of running shoes? If I get hip pain it is usually d shoes or I did not do the needed dynamic stretches before hand.
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It depends on where the pain is. In the joint? Front? Back? Could be all sorts of things. Best bet would be to see a physio or similar, they can probably tell you what it is and recommend how to fix it.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I need to go see an orthopedic surgeon. People give you different advice but unless they diagnose you personally they don't know what they're talking about. Couple years ago started with a slight pain in my hip. Make a long story short last year of double hip replacement
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I took 10 days off running. Miraculously everything healed and I am back doing more mileage with less pain than before
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Is it both hips or just one side? Did you start doing too much too fast? Is it sharp or dull pains? Could the hip pain be due to a muscle imbalance?

I have had hip pain more than once and it was something completely different. When it was both and dull, it was bursitis. When it was sharp and one-sided it actually happened to be a torqued ovary (sorry if that is tmi). When it occurs during lifting, it has been due to tightness in my glutes.

Consider the when, where, and what type of pain and then consult a physician. Pain in a joint shouldn't be a norm.
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Could be IT band issue, search YouTube for Yoga Pigeon Pose.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    When my hips started hurting while running, I replaced my running shoes and it went away immediately. You may want to try that first.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    When my hips started hurting while running, I replaced my running shoes and it went away immediately. You may want to try that first.

This happened to me about a month ago. New pair of shoes solved it!

I was stingy with money and just kept buying shows without having someone look at my gait. Once i finally gave in, I figured out that I underpronate (my feet roll outwards when running). The proper pair of shoes solved that hip pain problem almost instantly!
  • Stacy97
    Stacy97 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First of all I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I to suffer from hip pain, yes of course go to your doctor and be sure it's nothing serious but also go to a great shoe store where they will fit you and watch how you run.
    I still suffer from hip pain but only if I over do it.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    I have it too
    My hip alignment is off by 3mm
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Agree with this quote... get a GREAT pair of running shoes, be sure a running shoe expert helps you pick them out (with insoles if needed)
    Did you get fit for a good pair of running shoes? If I get hip pain it is usually d shoes or I did not do the needed dynamic stretches before hand.

• professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have had hip pain off and on and it also gets better with new shoes. Its also a lot better at 180 than when i used to run at 288, lol.

If you run a lot and don't do much other exercise, you can have an imbalance between your forward and lateral movement muscles. Every time my hips start acting up, I start incorporating exercises for lateral movement and paired with several hip stretches that helps, too!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Try some of the advice here but if it persists definitely to to a doctor, there are so many things, worn cartlidge and arthritis hit many of us after 40, but it could be the wrong shoes for your feet, or an incorrect stride, or an number of things.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Also like others said, cross training is very beneficial and can not only prevent pain from imbalance but IMPROVE running performance.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I injured my hip in my early 20s and I find that a couple days on allieve generally calms the inflamation and I'm good to go again until I overdo.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Go and see a physio or sports therapist. A friend of mine ignored her hip pain for a while and then eventually discovered it was a strain in her hip flexor which runs from your stomach right down your leg. She was out of action for ages and in loads of pain. Don't take the chance with pain - get it properly treated.
  • Domilg23
    Domilg23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    first - run off about week, then start again and if its not stop - go to doc