Had metabolic testing

Options
I had my resting metabolic rate (RMR) tested about 7 years ago and the results were not good but I had another test early this morning and the results were slightly better but still not great. My RMR is 1345 so that is what I need to breathe, sleep, etc at first I was bummed. However, I have gained 4 lbs of lean muscle mass, my weight has not increased, and I am choosing to focus on what I have managed to accomplish over the last 7 years. My scale does not define me. For me the test was about knowledge. I wanted to make sure I was eating the appropriate amount of calories and not second guessing myself. For anyone else who is thinking about having this done it was worth it for me :smile:

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Good news is that your RMR is only part of your TDEE. Don't forget TEF (thermic effect of food), TEE (thermic effect of exercise) and NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis).
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I just did it the other day too!
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're in the normal range for a woman....are you a woman? Ha. Just think of how many more calories you can eat as you move through your day, exercise, live. I had no idea really, how many calories I could have for maintenance.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    And how much does this cost?
  • jennknut
    jennknut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It was $40 and I just really like numbers so it was an average of 15% lower but it was easy and I just like knowing
  • jennknut
    jennknut Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're in the normal range for a woman....are you a woman? Ha. Just think of how many more calories you can eat as you move through your day, exercise, live. I had no idea really, how many calories I could have for maintenance.

and yes, I am a woman, thanks
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am So happy for you! You have a great attitude and are on your way to success! It's refreshing to know there ARE some people on this site that understands about RMR!

@Mycophilia It's ALSO so nice to find out there is SOMEBODY that understands about TDEE, TEE, TEF and NEAT!! Some of these threads get hostile when I try to bring these up. They don't understand.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    jennknut wrote: »
    For me the test was about knowledge. I wanted to make sure I was eating the appropriate amount of calories and not second guessing myself.

It's all guesswork. RMR tests are approximations. The calories they say we burn exercising are approximations. The calories listed for foods are approximations. If you add up all the margins of error, you could easily be 20% off, so i don't take the numbers too seriously. If you've been seeing progress the past 2-3 months, you're probably doing the right thing. :+1: