Cravings

Options
Any suggestions on sweet/carb cravings??? I'm trying to eat high protein low carb to help me lose a little belly fat. I'm not overweight just trying to get toned. I am 5'6 and 130lbs and I have the worst cravings for sweets all day...help!!

Replies

• pungii69
    pungii69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stop doing low carb then, maybe?
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Agreed, stop the low carb.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to eat low carb if you cannot stick to it. Try eating foods you like in moderation while making sure you weigh and log everything as accurately as possible.
  • Hollyrena19
    Hollyrena19 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    when I say low carb I mean I have cut out bread, pasta, rice. I am a mom of 3 and trying to get my flat belly back and I find it difficult to maintain a toned tummy.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Cutting out specific foods isn't going to help with the flat belly. A calorie deficit combined with strength training will be what gives you that. Cutting out foods is a way to achieve a calorie deficit, but there's nothing about bread, pasta, or rice that's going to keep you from losing fat. You could eat these things and stay in a calorie deficit to get the same results. Many of us do.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cutting out specific foods isn't going to help with the flat belly. A calorie deficit combined with strength training will be what gives you that. Cutting out foods is a way to achieve a calorie deficit, but there's nothing about bread, pasta, or rice that's going to keep you from losing fat. You could eat these things and stay in a calorie deficit to get the same results. Many of us do.

I agree with this, but if you're determined to keep low carb, maybe up proteins to keep you full. If you have your cravings in the afternoon, having your carb allowance at lunch might help?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    when I say low carb I mean I have cut out bread, pasta, rice. I am a mom of 3 and trying to get my flat belly back and I find it difficult to maintain a toned tummy.

RECOMPOSITION. At 130 the problem isn't your weight, it's your bodyfat%. Eat at maintenance and lift very things. You'll be much happier with your body.
  • Hollyrena19
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

RECOMPOSITION. At 130 the problem isn't your weight, it's your bodyfat%. Eat at maintenance and lift very things. You'll be much happier with your body.

I only have a BMI of 21%
  • Hollyrena19
    Options
    I'm also hypoglycemic which makes this problem worse.
  • WBB55
    Options

I only have a BMI of 21%

I know. I'm not saying it'd be unhealthy to lose more weight, I'm saying you'll be happier with the way you look at 130 if you recomp instead of trying to lose total weight.
  • WBB55
    Options

I only have a BMI of 21%

Should have said this, too. BMI is not your body fat%.
  • Hollyrena19
    Options

I only have a BMI of 21%

I know. I'm not saying it'd be unhealthy to lose more weight, I'm saying you'll be happier with the way you look at 130 if you recomp instead of trying to lose total weight.

I'm new to this so I will look into that. Thanks for your advice =) I stay thin but my tummy has been my problem area since my first child. It's a little frustrating to feel AMAZING except for your tummy.
  • WBB55
    edited July 2016
    Options

I only have a BMI of 21%

I'm new to this so I will look into that. Thanks for your advice =) I stay thin but my tummy has been my problem area since my first child. It's a little frustrating to feel AMAZING except for your tummy.

This is what recomp solves.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    My cravings disappeared when i increased the amount of good, healthy fat considerably....so add just one thing, an avocado (small) to your daily diet and see if that helps.

You may just be missing "enough" of the healthy fats.....of course there are others but the avocado is very ez to add. GL
  • Hollyrena19
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    My cravings disappeared when i increased the amount of good, healthy fat considerably....so add just one thing, an avocado (small) to your daily diet and see if that helps.

You may just be missing "enough" of the healthy fats.....of course there are others but the avocado is very ez to add. GL

Great idea! I forget about the healthy fats =)
  • Hollyrena19
    Options

I only have a BMI of 21%

Thank you, thank you! I am finding some great info on recomp and have already determined my body fat is at 27% and I would prefer it to be at least 24%. You have been very helpful.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    After three kids, you may not get back to the flat belly ever just to warn you. I know plenty of very fit moms who still have the pouch. Might be something you'll just have to learn to live with.
  • WBB55
    Options

I only have a BMI of 21%

Thank you, thank you! I am finding some great info on recomp and have already determined my body fat is at 27% and I would prefer it to be at least 24%. You have been very helpful.

Just for comparison on what difference muscle can make, I'm also 5'6 and I weigh 33 lbs more than you BUT my body fat is only 30%. I wear the same size now at 163 lbs that I wore at 145 lbs. THAT'S the difference muscle makes.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on sweet/carb cravings??? I'm trying to eat high protein low carb to help me lose a little belly fat. I'm not overweight just trying to get toned. I am 5'6 and 130lbs and I have the worst cravings for sweets all day...help!!

Dark chocolate (80-90%), heavy whipping cream and diet rootbeer, strawberries and some ready whip, PB2 or peanut butter with some strawberries/raspberries.. Those are my ways of killing my sweet tooth.
  • Hollyrena19
    Options
    tri_gal_87 wrote: »

Dark chocolate (80-90%), heavy whipping cream and diet rootbeer, strawberries and some ready whip, PB2 or peanut butter with some strawberries/raspberries.. Those are my ways of killing my sweet tooth.

yes, I love peanut butter and dark chocolate. great ideas!