Macro Breakdown?

I am an endomorph that started my weight loss journey just under three weeks ago. I started at 315lbs and am now at 303lbs. Problem is this last week the scale hasn't budged at all! I am currently going with 50% protein, 35% lipids, 15% carbs (about 1500-1800 cal total daily) but as mentioned the weight loss seems to have plateaued and I am also feeling really lethargic almost sick post workout. I use the fitbit blaze and myfitness pal to track calories in vs calories out and the deficit being created (according to those calculations) just isn't adding up. Anyways, I know it is a long journey and I do feel much better about being physically active every day and making healthier choices but really want to get over that mental hurdle of seeing a 3 as the first number in my weight.

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Your weight will stall periodically. Also for weight loss calories in/out is more important then macros.

Is there a reason your carbs are so low and protien high? You really only need like .8grams of protien per kg of body weight. Or if you want a higher number I go 1 gram per pound of LEAN body weight.

Do you weigh your food? Getting a food scale is very important it's much easier to achieve a deficit through eating less opposed to exercising.
  • Half_Bruin
    Half_Bruin Posts: 56 Member
    Thank you for the reply. Yes I have a food scale and I weigh and measure portion control. I mean I wish I had a better answer than that is what I read was good for Endomorph body types because of being so carb sensitive but that is why I am doing it currently. I enjoy the exercise part and really enjoy lifting weights and just always associated higher protein with trying to hold onto the lean mass when creating a calorie deficit. I am not married to the current plan and am more willing to adjust and find what works for my body. I currently workout 6 days/ week MWF- Total body weight lifting routine TRS-45 min cardio.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Half_Bruin wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply. Yes I have a food scale and I weigh and measure portion control. I mean I wish I had a better answer than that is what I read was good for Endomorph body types because of being so carb sensitive but that is why I am doing it currently. I enjoy the exercise part and really enjoy lifting weights and just always associated higher protein with trying to hold onto the lean mass when creating a calorie deficit. I am not married to the current plan and am more willing to adjust and find what works for my body. I currently workout 6 days/ week MWF- Total body weight lifting routine TRS-45 min cardio.

Endomorph/Ectomorph stuff isn't really based on studies, it doesn't have much of a scientific foundation.

If you like your current macro split, I don't think you have to change it. But your weight loss is going to come down to your calories consumed.

Even when you do everything "right," there will be weeks when the scale doesn't budge. Bodies are weird that way! Since you're beginning a new routine, your muscles are probably holding on to some water to help with recovery. This is really common and normal and as you get more used to the routine, you will probably see some of this weight drop.
  • Half_Bruin

Endomorph/Ectomorph stuff isn't really based on studies, it doesn't have much of a scientific foundation.

If you like your current macro split, I don't think you have to change it. But your weight loss is going to come down to your calories consumed.

Even when you do everything "right," there will be weeks when the scale doesn't budge. Bodies are weird that way! Since you're beginning a new routine, your muscles are probably holding on to some water to help with recovery. This is really common and normal and as you get more used to the routine, you will probably see some of this weight drop.

Sorry if I did the quote thing wrong....I never get how to use that option but....I enjoy it....kind of. I feel like maybe the carbs is just way too low and might be a big part of the constant fatigue. Thank you for the feedback though. It is much appreciated.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Sorry if I did the quote thing wrong....I never get how to use that option but....I enjoy it....kind of. I feel like maybe the carbs is just way too low and might be a big part of the constant fatigue. Thank you for the feedback though. It is much appreciated.

Some people who cut carbohydrates do report fatigue. Since you're working out a lot, carbohydrates can be a great source of energy. It might be worth playing with the macros a little and incorporating more carbs into your day.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2016
    At 300 lbs, your lean mass is probably somewhere around 150-160 lbs at the most, right? I'm not an expert. I'm not a man your size. I'm not sure endomorph actually means anything these days. If half your calories are protein at 1800 calories per day, that's 225 grams of protein. And, though you probably won't damage your kidneys eating at that amount, if you're not feeling good after your workouts, I think you need to change something. This is an obvious thing to change. Upping your fat% or carbs% or both is a fine thing to do. Also, at 300 lbs, your deficit is probably over 1000 calories per day right now at that intake level. Maybe for now up your intake to 2000-2200. Just for now. It does no good to you to feel sick after workouts.

Or go full on ketosis-style of low carb, and drop the carbs to 20g per day and up the fats to something like 65%.
  • svelte2013
    svelte2013 Posts: 2 Member
    If you keep your carbs that low you may want to increase your fats for fuel and for energy.
  • Half_Bruin
    I am currently around 40% BF so yeah probably about 175ish on the lean mass. But it seems like the consensus is maybe play with it a bit. I also consume about a gallon of water a day. It is the only thing I drink outside an occasional unsweetened ice tea to keep me sane with my meals. I think I will drop the protein a bit and raise the carbs and try 45(p)-35(f)-20(c)
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    I am currently around 40% BF so yeah probably about 175ish on the lean mass. But it seems like the consensus is maybe play with it a bit. I also consume about a gallon of water a day. It is the only thing I drink outside an occasional unsweetened ice tea to keep me sane with my meals. I think I will drop the protein a bit and raise the carbs and try 45(p)-35(f)-20(c)

That sounds like a good idea. There is a lot of "science" by many Bros which say you need super high protien but speaking from experience and actual science you dont. In retaining muscle you need a good lifting program first, and then adequate protein. 1 gram per pound of lean body wright should be plenty.