What do women in their 40's do for fun?

Options
Hey all you forty-something women! I hope everyone is having a great fourth of July week-end!

I was wondering what all you wonderful ladies do for fun? I'm going to be forty-eight soon and need some ideas on what to do on the week-ends? I can't afford a gym membership or else I would go work-out on my week-ends off.

What do you gals do? Have any ideas for me?
Thanks gals, have a great day!:smile:

Replies

• jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Play tennis in the park (free courts), go for a bike ride and, in the winter of course, go cross-country skiing in our local nature parks.
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have a gym membership that goes to waste! It is at the new YMCA, but I basically keep it for my daughter and her activities and summer day camp. I go sometimes, but the classes are way too crowded.

You don't need a gym membership. Especially in the summer. I am sure there are hundreds of parks and lakes by you. All you need to do is put on your shoes and go walking/running, etc. Try everything there is, canoeing, golfing etc. None of it costs much at your parks. I know a few parks that have these workout circuits you can do. After walking or running for a while, you stop at one of these and follow the instructions, some are pull ups, incline sit ups, etc. Don't worry about looking silly, you are doing something great for your body. I like to take my youngest daughter (who rides her bike) and our big dog to the parks with us. My dog loves it so much she bugs me every morning, afternoon, and evening to go, she carries her leash around and keeps bringing it to me.

As for weekend fun, since I work all week and try to get outside every night to enjoy the summer, I don't really plan much for way of fun on the weekends. I do my major housework, then we either go to the lake, pool or park for some fun. We have lots of bbq's, and make sure we make healthy foods.

Summer is a great time to bike ride, join 5k walks, run on the beach, roller blade, and lots more, etc. Don't use your age as any excuse you can still do anything the girls in their 20's do. I can too, except for the all nighters out partying. Those days are over for me.

take care and have some fun,

Kelly
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i go hiking, bike riding, running, wine tasting at wineries :drinker: Take day trips just to see new scenery. I volunteer with Team In Training and because of it have met the most amazing new friends over the last 2.5 years.
  • wildfan111
    wildfan111 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As far as working out, I go out for a fast-paced walk - about 4 to 4 1/4 miles round trip - it usually takes a little over an hour. When my knees are feeling good - I will run a little, walk a little, run a little, etc. (my 16 year old daugher sometimes rollerblades along with me). I soak up the outdoor beauty and think great thoughts about what I'm doing for myself and just enjoy the whole experience. If I'm feeling up to it - I may go walking in the morning and in the evening on occasion. It keeps me occupied, takes up a little of my time and it's something that is doing something good for you.

When I can't get outdoors, I don't do quite as well (just because I love to be outside), but my goal is to do pilates, pilates ball, yoga and/or use my elyptical machine. My lawn mowing is also a good one and 1/2 hours of cardio. Hiking/biking on the avialable trails is also an option. I believe the key is to think of "active" things that you can do first when you are looking for things to do. My housework (indoor) tends to suffer a little more in the summer, not real bad, but I just tend to save that more for a rainy day :)

Other things, non-workout related to keep myself busy, I've been working on small projects at my house. This year I potted flowers, it gives me something to do in caring for them (watering them morning and night usually). It makes a welcoming difference to my home and gives you a great feeling! It works best for me to keep myself busy with whatever I can possibly think of - rather than get stuck in front of the tv/computer.

Well, speaking of that...I'd better eat some breakfast so I can go get a walk in :) Hope this give you some ideas and wish you a wonderful 4th as well!
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like to be outside too, but when the temp is in the mid to high 90's, it's too hot for me. I need to get a gym membership.:bigsmile: