Raw Food Vegan diet

Options
Hi, I have been following a raw food and vegan diet for the last 2 months. I haven't lost any weight and I am not sure why. Anyone else following a raw and or vegan diet? My heartburn has stopped and I have been able to go off of my perscription medication which is good. My eczema has cleared up too. But no weight loss. Any suggestions would be really appreciated

Replies

• whateverdamnit
    Options
    Maybe have a look at portion sizes. Are you able to make your food diary public?

If portion sizes are OK, maybe get your thyroid checked?
  • LornaRush
    LornaRush Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks so much for your response. I have to learn how to make my food diary public and will do so because I think it would help me get a better idea on what portions I should be eating. I was told that if I was eating a raw diet that I should be able to eat as much as I want to but I am thinking that this could be wrong. I know that I have to exercise more too. my thyroid is sluggish but my doctor isn't willing to provide any medication to help with this. I also have a slow heart rate, low blood pressure and low body temperature ( 2 degrees below normal)
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    Probably a good idea measuring your food, as it still has calories, even if it's raw. :)

Exercise is pretty important.. maybe try aiming at 4 1/2 hour sessions of cardio per week to get you started. That's what I did and then I added 2 days of Pilates in to the mix to tone up.

As far as your thyroid, if it's underactive, or borderline underactive, it may be a good idea to go on meds. I'm by no means a doctor, but I have those symptoms that you mentioned and I have Hypothyroidism. If your doctor's not willing to have you do blood tests and put you on the correct medication, it might be a good idea to look for another GP. :)
  • mrstyler
    mrstyler Posts: 43
    Options
    I definitely think that you should get a better idea of why your doctor doesn't want to put you any medication for your thyroid, and probably a second opinion to see if this is generally accepted practice or not.

Also, my brother is on a raw food diet and doesn't have to worry about what he eats because he exercises like crazy, but my SIL still had to be be careful about portions. Certain raw foods are still high enough in calories it can add up. I would try measuring and logging for a while to see what you really are eating.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm on a raw food vegan diet.... how many calories in total are you eating?
    you should loose weight easily as long as your not eating to many calories in total.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I just started a Vegan diet, but it is a low-fat Vegan diet. That means no oils. If you are using a lot of animal product substitutes, you may be getting extra fat and sugar you are unaware of. I tried a Vegan chocolate chip chocolate cookie the other day and it was wonderful. But, if I eat those, I could get fat real quick.

I was inspired by the movie "Forks Over Knives". It's early to say, but I think it may have changed my life forever. It even inspired my meat-loving cheese loving husband to go Vegan cold turkey. Has anyone else here seen this film?
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would definitely start measuring your portions. Nuts and seeds, for example, are very high in calories and fat. Yes, they are good for you, but moderation is key here. I'm vegan (not raw) and I find that a lot of the recipes in my raw cookbook are pretty high in fat, just because of all the nuts in them. Also, if you are including cold pressed oils, those are very high in calories as well.
  • butterflyinchrysalis
    Options
    I'm a raw vegan too and if you are relying on nuts and seeds then that could be a reason why you are not losing weight. I am allergic to nuts, so many of those raw cookbooks are useless to me. try incorporating Green Smoothies into your diet. Green Leafy vegetable are missing in many of our diets. I drink 3 quarts of Green Smoothies a day and the weight is dropping off of me. To learn more about green smoothies go to www.rawfamily.com or read the book "Green for Life." Green leafy vegetables gives me all the proteins and vitamins needed with the exception of B12. I don't calorie count at all. I do include chia and flax seeds in my diet. I also eat fruits, roots veggies and have a huge salad sprinkled with juice from half an orange for dinner. I love to snack on raw goji berries or dates. sometimes I add these into my smoothies. Try Flaxseed oil over olive oil for your Omega 3's :)